Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
MANY YEARS AGO, as a young, 22-year-old Army Officer,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 3,910

MANY YEARS AGO, as a young, 22-year-old Army Officer,

May 25, 2015, 7:41 AM

I had the honor to visit the American Military Cemetery near Hamm, Luxembourg.

Entering the site, I was both humbled and in awe at the thousands of white crosses marking the final resting places of Americans who paid the ultimate sacrifice in defense of our nation during World War II. The moment was especially poignant as I recalled another such cemetery located on the Atlantic shore in Normandy, site of the D-Day invasion in World War II.

There, thousands of similar white crosses face westward in symbolic gestures, and one envisions thousands of silent eyes gazing homeward toward our shores with arms outstretched toward family and friends. These were people of varying ages from all types of backgrounds, of all types of political and religious beliefs, some perhaps with few beliefs other than the desire for eventual reunion with loved ones. Yet, they were Americans, united in a common cause for the good of our nation.

Since then, thousands of Americans have served in other conflicts and similiarly lost their lives in service.

Today, we honor all who gave their lives in service, and I believe it also fitting that we recognize and honor those who serve today at home and abroad. They too have pledged their lives in sacred oaths to protect our freedoms from all enemies, foreign and domestic, and they willingly stand ready to honor those oaths.

Today, we are all comrades, and I believe it fitting that we, as Americans, unite in our gratitude for those who gave their lives in service...and to those who now serve.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said, and thank you for your service.***

May 25, 2015, 7:46 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Good morning and thank you, HT.***

May 25, 2015, 7:48 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good morning to you, good Friend. Gonna piddle around

May 25, 2015, 8:14 AM

this a.m., then head back out on the lake. Yesterday was cookout and water time; today, only water.

However, I don't expect to be thirsty. lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sounds like mr ht might be sipping on them fire waters...

May 25, 2015, 8:30 AM

;)

enjoy your day & be safe out there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very well done !!!!!!***

May 25, 2015, 9:41 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Terrific post.....gracias!***

May 25, 2015, 11:30 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen. Putting aside differences for a greater, common

May 25, 2015, 11:46 AM

cause . . . there could be a lesson there worth remembering these days; not doing so is a show of disrespect to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

Thank you for your service, hartins, and thank you to all who died for the greater cause, the unique set of ideas and unwavering belief in individual worth and liberty we call America.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I think we should unite with other nations. But maybe that's

May 25, 2015, 11:47 AM

just me.

HTH.

I had a similar experience seeing the Traveling Wall,

May 25, 2015, 1:55 PM

(the Viet Nam Memorial) in my town. If seeing hardcore biker types weeping like babies standing in front of that doesn't clue you in to the horrors of War, you haven't got a heart or a pulse. Thank you so much for your service, and your very well stated post.

A crisp salute to all & the 480 Clemson Soldiers who died for our Country!

May 25, 2015, 6:51 PM

R.I.P. & Gotigers !

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen***

May 25, 2015, 7:07 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Forever indebted and will never fully appreciate what has

May 25, 2015, 8:05 PM

and will be done for my freedom and happiness. Have you been to Margraten? I am in awe of how much the Dutch appreciate what you guys did. I would be a good man if I could equal their efforts of appreciation and honor.

I arrived at my first duty station in Mainz, (West) Germany

May 26, 2015, 5:56 AM

less than 25 years after the end of WWII (with the 1/509th Airborne/Mechanized Infantry) and was able to travel over much of Europe, including Belgium and the Netherlands among other countries.

I was humbled with the good will and respect offered by residents during my visits and even found the Germans to be particularly cordial and friendly. As history was my major at Clemson, the travels only whetted my enthusiasm for the opportunities to see many sites about which I had studied in regular classes as well as military science courses.

Although I never visited the site you mentioned, the one in Luxembourg held some significance, as it is the burial site for General George S. Patton, one of the great heroes of WWII.

Many Americans are probably unaware that most of the American cemeteries in Europe are painstakingly and lovingly attended to by nearby residents, even to this day, which I have seen during revisits to Europe since my military duty there.

I saw the documentary "THank You Eddie Hart" some yrs ago

May 26, 2015, 5:22 PM

and have been in complete awe ever since. The Documentary in short was the adopted grave story of Eddie Hart of North Carolina. Since then, I've been hunting for more stories like Eddie Hart's because it is so heartening to see true gratitude and see active efforts to honor what has been given and lost on their behalf.

All graves were adopted well since 1945 by the Dutch and as of today you get put on a waiting list. Not good enough- this month The Dutch and Belgians take it a step further with the "Faces of Margraten" http://abmc.gov/news-events/news/faces-margraten

Every American should be aware of this. I don't understand why not. I simply don't understand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4z9fqboanM

Thank you.***

May 26, 2015, 12:21 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And you, Gray Bengal, along with numerous others on

May 26, 2015, 6:00 AM

TigerNet are honored for your long service in uniform to our nation.

Thank you, Sir!

HT, one of these days, I hope to

May 26, 2015, 11:07 AM

follow the path my Dad took in the ETO from 1 Nov 1942 to 20 May 1945. He had a map of the Ninth Infantry Division's involvement and he marked every place that the Ninth and his 60th RCT saw action. I still have that map on the wall of my office, and also the shadow box we did for him when he was awarded his long-delayed Bronze Star in 1999, in addition to the other ribbons he was eligible for.
There are also two pictures of him in that box: one was his Senior picture for the 1941 Taps made in Sept 1940, and the other was made as a 1LT in Sept 1942 at Bragg just before they headed to Norfolk to board troop ships for North Africa.

Thanks for being a Tiger, and your Service to America during those turbelent times in the late 60's and early 70's...

Ron

Replies: 17
| visibility 3,910
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic