Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What does it cost a fast ball pitcher to face Clemson's lineup?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 853

What does it cost a fast ball pitcher to face Clemson's lineup?

May 24, 2015, 11:35 PM

Louisville's Funkhouser is known for his 96 mph fastball. I looked at his draft projections prior to facing Clemson the 1st time and saw top 5 projections (including a #2 projection). Looking today I saw projections ranging from 8 - 15. Media draft projections are historically poor, so who knows. But, the signing bonus for a #2 pick is $7.4M this year vs $3.2M for a #8. The key difference that I see for Funkhouser is the two Clemson starts. Over 11 innings he gave up 16 hits, 12 runs, 10 earned runs, and struck out only 5. Not including the Clemson games: his ERA would be 2.68, opponents would be hitting 0.216, and his K's/9 innings would be 9.1. With the Clemson games included his ERA is 3.29, opponent batting avg is 0.231, and K's/9 is 8.5. His opponent batting avg vs Clemson was 0.333. His ERA was 8.18. He had only 4.1 K's/9 innings. And possibly his wallet was lightened by $4.2M. I doubt he wants to see our lineup again.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have complimented you in the past on certain good

May 25, 2015, 8:40 AM

points that were brought up about this team: points of interest about our kids that took the focus off the issue of our "HOF'er" at the helm.

I fear with this sort of post we're moving into the territory of pandering - posting solely to promote Clemson rather than providing a balance that would befit their slightly better than .500 season record.

Obviously this team has at times been a very good hitting team. Just as obviously, at other key times such as against UNC in the ACC Tournament and when a NCAA berth could well have been on the line, this hitting lineup has gone south.

I yearn for the days of professional journalists who sought to provide balance and general lack of bias in their work more often than not. I understand that this is a blog-type site, and things are no longer the same;

yet those qualities seem redeemable and reachable still the same

Re: I have complimented you in the past on certain good

May 25, 2015, 10:06 AM

Epifunny, you are always balanced and I appreciate that. You would make a fine journalist. I am far from a journalist. I am an engineer that loves stats. I am an unabashed promoter of a group of young men that I've come to really appreciate. In this particular case my point was not that we are a team of great hitters in general, but more specifically we have 4 or 5 guys that destroy the hottest fastballs. some of those same guys struggle with junk ballers.

point well made

May 25, 2015, 10:16 AM

though I would never make a journalist....

As well, promoting the young men on the team is noteworthy and appreciated.

And since you're into stats, there's one I would really love to see though am not sure if it even exists. Do you know if someone keeps stats that show "outs lost on the base-paths". I feel that we lost an inordinate amount of base-runners this year by running into outs - HOWEVER - knowing that perceptions are not always reality, I've wondered if anyone has that stat on a national basis.

thanks (but not in advance).

Replies: 3
| visibility 853
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic