Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ACC Championships 1973-2015. (long)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 851

ACC Championships 1973-2015. (long)

May 22, 2015, 10:34 PM

I realize that getting into the NCAA'S is viewed as the measuring stick by most of you. By that standard, we have had a successful last 42 years indeed under both Coach Wilhelm and Coach Leggett.

Allow me to ask this: Do "banners" not really matter anymore? Clemson is currently tied with Georgia Tech for the most ACC tournaments won, at 9 apiece. That's the good news. The not-so-good news is that 7 of those 9 occurred between 1973 and 1993. Since 1994, we have won our conference twice. Has the ACC changed? Unquestionably..... the additions of FSU and Miami alone did that. I guess my question ultimately comes down to priorities..... at some point, I don't know WHEN (that really doesn't matter), "WE"...... Clemson Administration, Clemson AD's, Coaches, Players, and Fans......got " OKAY " with not winning our league or even striving to win it, and that is just plain WIERD to me folks!!! Maybe I'm just showing my age here...I turn 54 tomorrow so maybe I am mired in old school thinking tonight, but I love Clemson and I love seeing us scratch, claw, and fight for Championships. Like our students chant in the valley, FIGHT LIKE HELL ######, AND WIN!!!!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not just you, man...

May 23, 2015, 4:20 AM

I'm about to turn 30 & one of the things that drives me nuts is that in 2 of our most historically successful sports (football & baseball) is the lack of ACC titles I've gotten the chance to see since I have been old enough to understand and follow the games.

The fact we've only had 2 ACC titles w/ Leggett as coach is one of the things that irks me. Yes, I know the ultimate goal of any season is getting to Omaha & winning the CWS, but I feel that winning the conference title along the way should mean something as well. Now the ACC makes that difficult given that they only recognize postseason tournament winners as champions and refuses to recognize/award teams that win during the regular season (which I can start another rant for another day on that one), but as you pointed out, 9 of our recognized 14 ACC titles have come under the tournament format. Maybe it's just me, but I feel that winning the conference should mean as much as making it to Omaha as well.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Happy 54th Birthday WrenCUDad !***

May 23, 2015, 6:13 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Happy 54th Birthday WrenCUDad !***

May 23, 2015, 6:40 AM

Happy 54th. I understand the sentiment of your post. That was historically the view of conference tournaments but I believe that some of the ultra successful coaches have changed that idea for some of us a bit.
UK's John Calipari hates conference tournaments. Always has. For Calipari the SEC basketball Tournement is just an exhausting impediment between him and the tournament that matters. Emotionally I've seen teams peak during the conference tourney and then come out flat in the NCAA.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Happy 54th Birthday WrenCUDad !***

May 23, 2015, 8:04 AM

Thanks! I see your point. It does seem to vary. Sometimes conference titles take a team to where they peak too early; other times they can act as a "springboard" for programs that were playing "good but not great". I just like those banners.....

I want to commend you for how you handle yourself on this Board buddy. You have risen above our internal debate and have supplied timely and relevant background information about our team. You have been a true " Tiger Gentleman ".
Thanks!!

Thanks buddy!!***

May 23, 2015, 7:49 AM [ in reply to Happy 54th Birthday WrenCUDad !*** ]

Replies: 5
| visibility 851
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic