Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If 2008 is any indication, we are done. We finished 2008
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 2,029

If 2008 is any indication, we are done. We finished 2008

May 22, 2015, 7:01 PM

Four games over .500. We finished top-30 RPI and had a SOS in the top-5. We were left home. This year we are five games over .500 and will probably finish mid to high 50's rpi. SOS still in top-20. We had a much better resume in '08. Why should we get in this year?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If 2008 is any indication, we are done. We finished 2008

May 22, 2015, 7:21 PM

This team does not belong in the CWS! the basic skill sets needed to be successful at the Division I Collegiate level are sorely missing or need drastic improvements. Things such as:
1. How to catch a pop up or fly ball using sun glasses
2. How to swing the bat level versus a golf swing .
3. How to throw the ball from the left side of the infield other than sidearm
4. How to hit with 2 strikes on you
That's just a few. This team lacks skill sets and it is clear that player development is an absent coaching ability. This was an embarrassing loss with 4 errors(really 5 with the dropped foul ball in right field), 2 major errors at SS, a right fielder than was clueless, 8 strikeouts on our side and 7-8 walks by our pitching staff.
LADIES/GENTLEMEN: If one is going to play Division I baseball either get the talent necessary to play at that level (and that includes coaching) or drop the darn sport.
today, IMO, was embarrassing and to me was enlightening in showing just how far our baseball program has fallen.
Have a nice Memorial Day and get ready for the one thing we can do: Spot the darn Ball!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree, we probably don't belong in the postseason

May 22, 2015, 7:38 PM

I do want to discuss your points about player development as I see them as a little off base. Of your list I would only consider #4 a "coaching problem". The other three are a recruiting problem. Still a problem for the program, but not something you want to be teaching guys who are playing ACC baseball.

If you can't catch a fly ball then you shouldn't be on the team. If you have a pronounced loop in your swing then you shouldn't be on the team. If you routinely throw side armed then you don't belong on the team. These are very routine skills to have as a ball player. What you're asking for is equivalent to asking Shaq to listen to his coaches and make more free throws. At this point it's pretty hard to undo the bad that is already done.

Let's not be too harsh though. We're talking about a sport where the best players at ages 18-22 are riding buses around podunk towns making $15k a year in Single A ball. College baseball reminds me of womens basketball in the way that there are only so many good players to go around and therefore there are only a handful of good teams. For me, it's a matter of recruiting. That's part of coaching, just ask Dabo. This is where we need to address our team moving forward.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Single A ballpalyers making $15K? Nope....*

May 23, 2015, 1:11 PM

Re: Single A ballpalyers making $15K? Nope....*

May 24, 2015, 8:05 AM

http://www.lineupforms.com/minor-league-baseball-salaries.html

keep in mind, those monthly salaries are only paid

May 24, 2015, 8:11 AM

during the season which runs from April through Labor Day.

There's very few teams with a amazing resume this year

May 22, 2015, 7:34 PM

Most teams in the top 10 are 4x-1x record wise.. The field is completely mediocre. Ucla is number 3 at 40-12. Clemson probably makes it as a three seed in Charleston.

I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created, and with them the animals,
The birds and the creatures that move along the ground, for I regret that I have made them.

What was our ACC record in 2008?***

May 23, 2015, 10:43 AM

Re: What was our ACC record in 2008?***

May 23, 2015, 11:38 AM

We were 11-18-1 and did not even make the conf tourney. We finished 5th this year and finished strong. RPI will be considered a nuance in our situation. GT has a rpi in 30s but they won't go for the exact opposite reason we will go

Replies: 8
| visibility 2,029
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic