Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tournament pool format
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 895

Tournament pool format

May 22, 2015, 6:50 AM

If only we had made a catch or got a big hit we could be locked in for the championship with 1 game left to play. Amazing there is a Scenario where the third round robin games dont even matter.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

It makes for terrible TV, for sure. But makes sense

May 22, 2015, 7:10 AM

from the coaches perspective. 3 games guaranteed and can plan pitching. They can rest a little, but also get at least 3 games in to prepare for the real tournament.

That's why the coaches wanted it. But yes, it sucks for the fans. Also sucks for the crappier teams. Makes sense for the better teams though in the big picture.

I thought we were going back to bracket play this year

May 22, 2015, 8:10 AM

but obviously not.

The pool play format (with all the crazy tiebreakers) is awful. But lets be honest, most coaches in the ACC tournament don't care if they win a double elimination conference tournament anyway. It just burns up pitching. And most years the tournament doesn't matter for 7 of 8 teams there. They are going to the NCAA.

The pool play was supposed to also be better for fans to travel. Fans know that they will have at least 3 games to watch. But what they didn't count on is that fans know which games matter.

If you did a quasi pool and bracket it might work. Use the pools to take the top 2 teams and play a single elimination 4 team bracket. That way more pool games matter. That would feel more like a weekend travel ball tournament than a D1 conference tournament, but its better than this. At least it would help teams set their pitching for the double elimination Regionals.

Re: Tournament pool format

May 22, 2015, 8:43 AM

I understand that you have to bring your A-game all the time to tournament play, but with so many good, nationally ranked teams in the ACC, one missed play ( this year the missed catch against that FSU smart alect fatso ) negates any chance to get to the championship game. As bad as we have looked at times this season, it's pretty clear that we are playing as well as FSU and Louisville right now. Double elimination is a better way to get a champion, but does not work well for TV. Except that we ( and perhaps UNC ) are playing for a spot in a Regional, today's game is meaningless tournament-wise. It's like playing for 3rd place in the ACC basketball tournament--who wants to see that?

Its more than just 1 play

May 22, 2015, 8:58 AM

Yes that play is magnified now. But as much as I hate to admit it, the tiebreakers make the regular season that much more important. We're eliminated just as much for what we didn't do in the regular season (like dropping 2 to WFU or 1 to VT, or 1 to BC) because we had absolutely no tiebreakers going into the tournament.

Usually tournaments make the regular season meaningless. But in a lot of ways, this format makes the TOURNAMENT that much more meaningless in comparison to the regular season.

Replies: 4
| visibility 895
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic