Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Haven't seen this brought up regarding baseball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,432

Haven't seen this brought up regarding baseball

May 21, 2015, 10:37 PM

But did anyone else think that maybe Erwin shoulda faced Noles and Crownover the Cards?

I know in a traditional double elimination tourney you throw your 1 in game 1, but this set up is different. You know who you will face day 2 regardless of game 1 outcome.

Anyways, I thought Erwin looked better vs Tally last weekend. And Crownover gave us great chance vs anyone. They both threw gems as it is, so not sure respective outcomes would have changed anyway.

Just a thought. Does pool play format change the way you set up rotation when opponents are pre set?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Haven't seen this brought up regarding baseball

May 21, 2015, 10:57 PM

Erwin starting on Friday and then coming back and starting Wednesday would have been tough

Re: Haven't seen this brought up regarding baseball

May 21, 2015, 10:59 PM

True that. Didn't even think k about rest days. Good point.

catch the ball at the wall and we ain't talkin bout this***

May 21, 2015, 11:23 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No

May 22, 2015, 1:54 AM

Simply because of the convoluted way that teams are picked to advance based upon seeding.

In a traditional pool play scenario where the pool play is to determine where you are seeded in the double elimination bracket then what you proposed has merit. At that point you want to do what you can to put the stronger teams in a situation that is as disadvantageous as possible.

In our situation in this format as a lower seed in our pool we needed to do whatever it took to stay on the positive side of the ledger. Because Louisville and FSU earned their advantage in this format by playing better in the regular season we pretty much had no choice but to throw Crown because of our regular season performance putting us on the negative side of the ledger.

Its not a bad idea and Jack's done it before

May 22, 2015, 8:23 AM

Jack did that same thing against Georgia Tech in the College World Series. We had played GT a ton very recently. I want to say we ended the year against them and then played them 2 or 3 times in the ACCs Instead of using his ace, Jack went with the no-name guy that won the ACC Championship Game because that was the only pitcher that GT hadn't seen. (I can't remember his name)

The problem was, we went 1-2 in the CWS and one of our better pitchers didn't pitch. I want to say it was Josh Cribb that didn't make his start.

This one is a little different because FSU and UofL had seen both pitchers.

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,432
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic