Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
That 7-game stretch starting September 7th...ouch
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 3,079

That 7-game stretch starting September 7th...ouch

Apr 28, 2015, 3:30 AM

Does anybody realize just how a tough a schedule we really have this year? We open easy (Wofford, App State) and close with a three-game stretch (Syracuse, Wake, and a South Carolina team that makes me leery only because of Spurrier, not their talent level) where we should be heavily favored to open with two wins and close with another three.

In between...ouch. This year's slate is vicious, and there's a reason Clemson's schedule is ranked by a bunch the toughest in the ACC. It starts September 17th...when with a short week we go up to Louisville, a place we've never played, and take on a Louisville team that has Bobby Petrino, arguably one of the top 5-10 playcallers in college football, and a defense that was almost as stout as ours last year. Papa John's - especially at night - is a tough place to get a win and the Cards are going to be amped to play Clemson. After that...well....

Thu, Sept 17 @ Louisville
Sat, Oct 3 vs Notre Dame
Sat, Oct 10 vs Georgia Tech
Sat, Oct 17 vs Boston College
Sat, Oct 24 @ Miami (FL)
Sat, Oct 31 @ NC State
Sat, Nov 7 vs FSU

Whoo, baby. Where do I start?

Notre Dame scares me. I think we're better, but they've recruited very well the last few years. They also didn't lose much. They were a young (admittedly overrated) team last year...the Irish only have six prospects entered in the NFL draft, and only three of those project to be drafted, and probably no earlier than Round 4. This will be an intense game. Probably a night game, if we escape with a "W" up in Louisville. Probably also a National TV game. I think it'll be a pick-em or close according to Vegas.

Georgia Tech's option always gives us trouble, and they were a legit Top-10 team last year. They certainly moved the ball on Clemson's #1-rated D better than any other team we played last year. They did lose a BUNCH of offensive players - both top wideouts, all their A-backs, all their B-backs...but they do return a very good QB. Again...at home, we're definitely the more talented team...but the Bees under Paul Johnson are never a slam-dunk. I also do not like getting the Nerds the very next week after what's likely to be a frenetic game against the Fighting Irish.

BC's probably the only breather in this stretch. Yes, BC plays us tough, always...but BC lost their QB and entire starting offensive line and their skill talent was pedestrian. This will likely be a very down year for BC. I think we roll them this year.

The next two scare me. At Miami, and at NC State. Miami fans tend to be fickle and fair-weather...but when the fans actually show up - and Clemson is a big enough name they will likely do just that - Dolphins' Stadium can be a tough, tough road venue, and the Canes have never lacked for talent. NC State on the road the very next week seems tough as well. Dave Doeren is a strong coach with a good staff and he's quietly building a very solid squad up in Raleigh, and they return QB Jacoby Brissett, who is an NFL talent, IMHO. The Wolfpack lack playmakers on the perimeter but aside from that they look very solid. The Raleigh crowd can also be a factor, especially in big games...and Clemson is a big game for everybody, these days.

Then, of course, FSU rolls into town. They lost a pile of guys to the NFL but only Alabama has out-recruited FSU on paper over the last five years. They have also lost exactly one game in the last two seasons. A cursory look at the Seminole schedule will tell you they have a very favorable slate - their only rough games at that point are Miami (in Tally), Louisville (also in Tally), and a road tilt against Georgia Tech the week before they play us. They could well be unbeaten at that point.

That's as juicy a seven-game stretch as I can remember, and it's going to define our 2015. If we escape it unscathed - or with even just one loss - it's definitely time to start thinking Playoff. Our defense is going to have to come together and stay together, starting September 17th...and Deshaun Watson is going to have to stay vertical and upright, if we're going to get through that stretch.

How you guys see us doing?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

7-0

Apr 28, 2015, 4:46 AM

if Watson stays healthy and our D is halfway decent..

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

6-1 with either a loss to GT or at NCST***

Apr 28, 2015, 4:53 AM

Re: That 7-game stretch starting September 7th...ouch

Apr 28, 2015, 6:01 AM

I think that all of Tiger Nation know that we have one of the toughest schedules this go around as we have had in quite a few years, but, our recruiting has been pretty good also. FSU has recruited better than us by just a little with 36 espn top 300 in 2013,14, and 15. We have recruited 32 of espn top 300 in 2013, 14, and 15. But I believe we have the better QB and receivers, we should be just as good with the Death Valley advantage. Louisville recruiting for the past 3 years, we have trampled them in recruiting, and they have only recruited a total of 5 espn top 300 players with a lot more 3 star players than 4 stars with zero 5 stars. If we don't beat them any where we play them, we have a serious problem, period. ND has the same as us with espn top 300 with 32, and they have recruited about the same as us and FSU in 4 and 3 stars, they may have a few more 3 stars than us and FSU. But the 3 of us are about neck and neck in recruiting. And we have the Death Valley on ND also. Like I've stated earlier, FSU and ND will be our two toughest games that I believe we can get by them both in Death Valley, but those will be two tough as h&ll games that I believe we win if we win the turn over margin. I could be wrong, but I believe we out class them both in skill positions on offense, and I'm just guessing about the same as both on defense. That my 2 cents worth anyway!!! Also we have our open date between Louis and ND.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One thing to consider about Louisville... the transfers.

Apr 28, 2015, 7:16 AM

They've picked up four or five 4* recruits from around the country. I'm not saying it will be enough, but it does change your numbers. I agree about ND and FSU but ND is returning 18-19 from last year's starters. I think it will once again come down to depth on the OLs and a healthy Watson. Our D will be better than most are giving it preseason credit and our WR/RBs are talented and deep... Beat Louisville and use the week to prep for College Gameday @ DV vs. ND... Win that one and the momentum starts building...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One thing to consider about Louisville... the transfers.

Apr 28, 2015, 9:22 AM

One more thing that maybe a Plus+ for us besides playing ND @ home, and that is we have our open date on 9/26 before ND game, and Notre Dame will be playing Massachusetts on 9/26. That will give us more time for preparing a good game plan for them... ND's open date won't be until 10/24 right before they play Temple. I'm thinking they caught a little bad luck of the draw for their open date being before they play Temple, kind of sucks for them :), but that serves them well for not bringing their FB to the ACC!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice. +1...***

Apr 28, 2015, 7:21 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 28, 2015, 7:53 AM

None of those games are going to be easy, they will all be a huge test. I'm certainly worried about that road trip to Miami since they have possibly the best QB of the Florida schools this year. I just don't want any "let down" games and NC State seems like the perfect scenario for it - but hopefully those days are behind us with players and coaching we have now.

Apr 28, 2015, 8:00 AM

IMO you can chalk up BC as a win, especially being at home, the others are very winnable, but all also have scenarios where we could lose. Assuming DW stays healthy all year....I see worst case us going 5-2....more probable us going 6-1, and the homer in me says 7-0 and it is possible. One thing about it, if we are 7-0 during that stretch then we will be playing in the ACCCG for a shot at the playoffs.

This is ours for the taking.

Apr 28, 2015, 8:04 AM

BV has Petrino's number. ND won't realize what's going on until it's too late to react. GT will get their punches in when they have the ball but they can't go toe to toe with us on either side of the ball. BC, lmfao. Miami, still lmfao. NCS is just outclassed.

FSU is more over rated this year than they were last. SOS has realized he's finishing his career as a loser and wants to pay the USuCk fans back for their contribution to his situation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you scared? Bring it on***

Apr 28, 2015, 8:51 AM

Best Is The Standard

Apr 28, 2015, 9:33 AM

Anyone with a pulse should see our game plan outside of ND and F$U. I think we have to run the ball, run the ball and run it some more. We have a deep and talented pool of RB's and I think our OL strength may be run blocking. We should be able to wear down defenses with Gallman, Dye, Davidson, Fuller then Brooks....then mix in the occasional quick screen/jet sweep/deep route. We can't afford getting Watson injured in the run game or him scrambling on pass plays. We have to have him healthy through that stretch, and hopefully an entire season.

I don't see much, if any drop off on D for us. We've got experienced, as well as talented players to plug and play along the DL. I think our LB's and DB's shore up any drop off on the DL in run coverage, and Lawson and Dodd will be a little better than Beasley and Crawford against the run, but that's just my opinion. What scares me is our pass rush...where will it come from? I know Lawson is cutting some weight in the offseason to make him a more complete package. Maybe a Martin Aiken finally surprises, or Yeargin shows flashes of a young Beasley. He's got the size already. Expect Venebles to dial up more blitz packages in 2015.

Last years ND wasn't too impressive, and just because they return the same talent won't mean they will be better. What concerns me is Zaire and Golson, true dual-threat talents. It'll be tough playing in Louisville, but they lost some good players last year, and don't expect a few thugU transfers to be all-world for them. I honestly think we beat GT and BC handily. BC loses a lot and GT's QB can't do it all alone without experienced A backs, B backs and WR's. Their 4* back just had a pretty serious injury in the spring as well. Expect GT to be tough on D as always. Miami is improving, but Kayya won't throw at will against our DB's. They do have a fairly stout D though. At NCS won't make a difference if they don't return a better team than last years 41-0 blowout in The Valley. Just because they clipped us in 2012 won't mean a thing if that team isn't playing. F$U will be tricky as usual, and can go either way. They have recruited 2 very talented QB's last cycle, and I doubt McGuire is still the starter in November. I'd love to see us shut down the Decommitting Dalvin, and we should. What scares me is their WR corps. If anyone has recruited as good as we have at WR it's F$U. Ermon Lane is a star in the making, but didn't quite have the FR season he should with Greene in the lineup. George Cambell is a 6'5 blazer we recruited, and had a good spring. Can our 5'11 Alexander or anyone else on our roster shut him down? I know Mack won't back down for sure. Their D will be just as good as last years, but that's not saying much...our O is much better IMO. I think our advantage will be playing in The Valley, and that 4 word mantra..."if we stay healthy." Syracuse, Wake and cootU shouldn't be a problem AT ALL!

Spot the #### ball and let's get this thing rolling! Go Tigers!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 28, 2015, 9:38 AM

I can't wait it's going to be fun

We HAVE to win the FSU game. Even if we have a great

Apr 28, 2015, 9:53 AM

team next year it's a tough ask to go undefeated with that schedule. If we are sitting at 7-1 in the ACC next year FSU better not be that 1 again or we could easily be sitting at home in December and on the outside looking in on the CFB playoff picture. With our schedule we would absolutely be in the hunt for a playoff berth at 12-1 and ACC champs, but at 11-1 watching FSU play in the ACCCG we would have no shot.

Apr 28, 2015, 10:12 AM

It really speaks to how much the ACC has improved in the last few years. Adding Louisville and kinda sorta Notre Dame gave the league some additional top tier teams, and BC, NC State, Pitt and even UNC have made some hires to give the league quality depth.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 28, 2015, 10:13 AM

on GTech: "They certainly moved the ball on Clemson's #1-rated D better than any other team we played last year."

Though they moved the ball a few times well, IMO, it's really not as bad as it seems by the score. Over half of that score was made by their defense in interceptions, making it look much worse. For moving the ball on us so well, it's interesting that offense only truly mustered up 13 points worth (15 of their points came from the Stoudt interceptions).

Drive by drive, here's how they actually looked:

(in yards gained/lost)
Drive 1: +19 KO return, +6, -10 Fumble
Drive 2: +16 KO return, -1, +1, -5, Punt
Clemson Drive....+85 interception for TD
Drive 3: +4, +7, +5, +46, +6, +1, +1, Field Goal
Drive 4: -2, +15, +5, +4, +3, -3, +4, +15, +3, Missed FG
Drive 5: -3, +9, -3 end of half
Drive 6: +65 KO return, +1, +4, +5 for TD
Clemson Drive....interception for no gain @ Clem 44
Drive 7: +4, +22, +1, +5, +2, -5 (penalty), FG
Drive 8: +24 KO return, +9, 0, +3, +19, +1 Fumble
Clemson Drive....+62 interception for TD
Drive 9: +4, +18, +30, -1, -12, +6, FG
Drive 10: +11, +6, -5 (penalty), +4, -10 (penalty), +3, +2, +16, +4, +2, +7, -1 game end

I think with Watson firmly at the helm and healthy, you won't see this same thing happen again.

Apr 28, 2015, 2:09 PM

> on GTech: "They certainly moved the ball on
> Clemson's #1-rated D better than any other team we
> played last year."
>
> Though they moved the ball a few times well, IMO,
> it's really not as bad as it seems by the score.
> Over half of that score was made by their defense in
> n interceptions, making it look much worse. For
> moving the ball on us so well, it's interesting that
> offense only truly mustered up 13 points worth (15 of
> their points came from the Stoudt interceptions).
>
> Drive by drive, here's how they actually looked:
>
> (in yards gained/lost)
> Drive 1: +19 KO return, +6, -10 Fumble
> Drive 2: +16 KO return, -1, +1, -5, Punt
> Clemson Drive....+85 interception for TD
> Drive 3: +4, +7, +5, +46, +6, +1, +1, Field
> Goal
> Drive 4: -2, +15, +5, +4, +3, -3, +4,
> +15, +3, Missed FG
> Drive 5: -3, +9, -3 end of half
> Drive 6: +65 KO return, +1, +4, +5 for TD
> Clemson Drive....interception for no gain @ Clem 44
> Drive 7: +4, +22, +1, +5, +2, -5 (penalty),
> FG
> Drive 8: +24 KO return, +9, 0, +3,
> +19, +1 Fumble
> Clemson Drive....+62 interception for TD
> Drive 9: +4, +18, +30, -1, -12, +6,
> FG
> Drive 10: +11, +6, -5 (penalty), +4, -10
> (penalty), +3, +2, +16, +4, +2, +7, -1 game
> end
>
> I think with Watson firmly at the helm and healthy,
> you won't see this same thing happen again.

I just re-watched the game (a very pleasurable thing for a Georgia Tech fan) your D held GT's O to its lowest totals for the 2nd half of the season. Grady Jarret is/was a beast. GT won the game because our Justin Thomas to De'Andre Smelter was working. It seemed GT wore down the Clemson D as the game wore on, and the run yardage started to work. Plus in the 4th quarter GT was trying to burn clock and not to turn the ball over.

It was by far the best game of the season for GT's Defense

- Game Plan = GT had Clemson's Flanker screens sniffed out

- Pressure = Clemson's QBs were hurried all game

- Stop the Run = great play by Freeman and Davis

- INT's = the best game our DB's had all year. Two Pick-6's. The pick by Golden was the best I've seen in years.

One huge advantage for Clemson this year is the game after mid-terms / fall break. GT has played horribly after mid-terms the past few years, losing to Middle Tennessee State, Duke, almost losing to Gardner-Webb. Should bee another GT-Clemson epic battle...with the possibility of a rematch in Charlotte.

+1... Nice breakdown.***

Apr 28, 2015, 2:12 PM [ in reply to Re: That 7-game stretch starting September 7th...ouch ]

The day the schedules came out, I saw that nearly 2-month

Apr 28, 2015, 2:18 PM

stretch of games without very much of a break and knew the Tigers would have to "bring it" for every game during that portion of the schedule. The only "good" thing is that most of the truly difficult matchups for the Tigers will be in DV.

Do get an extra couple of prep days for the Fightin' Irish. Fans who attended the LAST game Notre Dame played in DV should get preferred seating for this matchup....:~)

Nothing about NCSt really frightens me but its difficult to gauge the pack's capability because they play such a wuss schedule year-in and year-out. NCSt.'s OOC schedule rivals a typical SEC OOC sched.

And though it probably doesn't show up in W-L records, I always like having a couple of extra days before playing GaTech and an offense seen but once per year.

Oh, yeah. We OWE FlaSt and GaTech one each from last year.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only one that is maybe a little concerning is GT...

Apr 28, 2015, 3:02 PM

I never count that bunch out.

Everyone else I feel confident against. People keep mentioning Louisville but didn't they lose a lot of starters? I know it's a Thursday night away game, and a short turn around to prepare, but still...aren't we much more talented??? We've practically have another coach out on the field in Watson...dude called his own plays in HS.

FSU, we'll right that ship this season. Last season, they should have got their ### kicked...

NC State, BC, and Miami don't concern me because we should be more talented/better coached than that group.

ND is always over-hyped but this would probably be the second game I most leery of. They seem to get lucky from time to time...

Yea, Swoffie might send the 'special' welcoming crew....***

Apr 28, 2015, 5:10 PM

Replies: 20
| visibility 3,079
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic