Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Aeronautical/Aerospace engineering?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Aeronautical/Aerospace engineering?

Apr 27, 2015, 12:21 PM

With Boeing now in South Carolina, will Clemson delve into aerospace? Perhaps a center like CU-ICAR? Perhaps this is already in the works?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know Clemson is working with the Lowcountry

Apr 27, 2015, 1:11 PM

Graduate Center in North Charleston to get more offerings to lowcountry residents but I'm not sure if that is one of them. However, I'm sure it would beiimmensely popular if they offered evening courses in N CHS for a bachelors or masters program. Boeing is huge and only getting bigger in the area so it seems like it would pay off for Clemson.

I heard something similar

Apr 27, 2015, 1:17 PM

Sounded like Clemson was planning a satellite campus out there for that purpose. I was told by a family member that lives out in Charleston near the Boeing site.

Well my gf (no pigs before the inevitable asking) works

Apr 27, 2015, 1:26 PM

At the lowcountry graduate center right now as an intern and I know they are working with Clemson to try and get them to offer Masters programs there. That is part of what she is doing while working there is marketing and establishing relationshipswith the university. The other week they had some Clemson professors on site. The Lowcountry Graduate Center is less than 5 miles from Boeing so it would be ideal and it's a brand new, state of the art building. Seems like they would at least want to start offering an EE or IE program there even if they dont want to get in avionics or aerospace.

The Zucker Family Graduate Education Center

Apr 27, 2015, 2:25 PM [ in reply to I know Clemson is working with the Lowcountry ]

is being built now. They want to start classes Fall of 16.

http://clemsonenergy.com/facilities/graduate-engineering-center/

With a shared vision, Clemson University will build a state-of-the-art education center at the Clemson University Restoration Institute (CURI) on the former Navy base in North Charleston. The Zucker Family Graduate Education Center, financed in part by a $5 million gift from the family, will foster collaboration and innovation in a place where students, university faculty and staff, and private industry will interact on a daily basis. The latest industries, from composite materials and energy systems to advanced computing and microscopy, will engage in public-private partnerships to accelerate innovations to market.

The Restoration Institute already has garnered $100 million in investment for research and development, directly fueling the knowledge base critical to the future of South Carolina’s economy. The Zucker center will further stimulate private-public partnerships through the creative exchange of ideas. The center will be built on a brownfield site at the closed Naval shipyard. The groundbreaking ceremony was held in mid-January 2015, and the approximately 70,000-square-foot center is scheduled to be ready by fall semester 2016.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Re: Aeronautical/Aerospace engineering?

Apr 27, 2015, 1:30 PM

I know you can get instate tuition in other states if you study this because SC State School do not offer this. I considered this at Georgia Tech back in my high school days.

I know Boeing is one of a few companies competing

Apr 27, 2015, 1:42 PM

for civilian space travel and so far have been able to produce the cheapest 'ticket' at 15-20 million a person. There are talks of putting a launching pad in GA. I don't think SC is in the mix for any aerospace facilities though...

is that for a round trip ticket?***

Apr 27, 2015, 1:46 PM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Yep, but that doesn't include alcoholic beverages.***

Apr 27, 2015, 1:50 PM

as a major, ae was dying in the late 70's

Apr 27, 2015, 1:51 PM

ben sills' (exceptional clemson fluids/hydraulics prof) undergrad major was ae and i remember him saying that ae jobs had disappeared for him. i grew up in awbuhn, and they dropped the ae major back in the mid-to-late 70's, as i recall..gf's dad was an ae prof.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

I think that would be a sensible addition to Clemson's

Apr 27, 2015, 3:09 PM

scholastic offerings and developing a Master's/Ph.d program at the new Zuker Ed. Center would be the icing on the cake.

Also, the location for the new Volvo manufacturing facility is due any day now....its down to 2 states--Ga and SC. With the job Greenville Tec in training workers for BMW, I'd have to think SC has a slight advantage. But, I've also been told that should Ga get the new plant, it'll be located west of Savannah to keep the port nearby.....that being the case, Trident Tech might try to develop a curriculum major to take advantage of a new workforce anyhow...especially considering much Daimler-Benz is expanding.

Seems the population growth spurt in SC is far from over.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic