Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So, Bama has had 5 straight #1 ranked recruiting classes..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 2,032

So, Bama has had 5 straight #1 ranked recruiting classes..

Apr 25, 2015, 8:23 AM

I've read..so how does that happen to one football program so often when there are some other fine programs out there with lots of pride, money, great coaches & recruiting staffs ( like DabO & staff at Clemson..or OHst..or FSU & others)?

What say You?

GoTiGERS ...keep RocKing & wearing that ORANGE the Coots fear & hate!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Recruiting Rankings are also based on who is following..

Apr 25, 2015, 9:08 AM

recruiting the most. It used to be Notre Dame would have overrated classes, because their fans were the first fans to follow recruiting big time. That's why long after Holtz was gone, analysts would swear up and down ND was still loaded with talent. Now with the internet recruiting websites it's shifted to the South. And no other fan base obsesses more about their team than Bama fans. Not that Bama isn't recruiting good, but they get a bump because of who they are and who their fan base is. Bama is still unable to get 4 and 5 star QB's to come their.

Another thing I've notice lately with recruiting, by keeping up with lower rated 4 star players for both us and the shamecocks. They get a bump, simply because they are from the south. A lot of those lower rated 4 star players, should be 3 star. Because as I've kept up with some of the lower rated 4 star players, a lot of them don't produce until their junior season. The star system is based on talent and how fast a player can contribute to the team.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Propaganda.

Apr 25, 2015, 9:11 AM

I used to get so sick of hearing about the real USC and OSU in the early 2000's, but then they both got busted and sort of fell off the radar. That seems to be about the same time the SEC pr machine went full steam and Bama was the poster child. So let's just say, for the last ten years, these kids have grown up being "force fed" the SEC through the #1 sports channel, ESPN. Bama has become the new "dream school" replacing the real USC and OSU.

Now that's not to take anything away from Bama, as they have a long history of success and tradition, tremendous fan support, facilities and money out the wazoo, but it seems awfully convenient when all these updated ESPN recruiting rankings come out and you start to notice who the movers and shakers are. I remember just this past year watching Luginbill on ESPN say one of Bama's recruits had been bumped up a star solely b/c he had committed to the Tide and was a good fit for their system. Same thing with their QB; does an ESPN camp, commits to Bama, and ta-da he's the next Peyton Manning.

Unfortunately, for all of us non-SEC'ers, that theory has been debunked b/c Chris Fowler said so (sarcasm intended).

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So they should have 5 straight natty titles .... but alas ..***

Apr 25, 2015, 9:14 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

how do they ever lose a game?***

Apr 25, 2015, 9:20 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

4 letters, HUNH***

Apr 25, 2015, 9:22 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why? Even assuming they had the best team every year

Apr 25, 2015, 7:32 PM [ in reply to So they should have 5 straight natty titles .... but alas ..*** ]

(which they didn't) they still aren't likely to win all 5 years. If the best team always won 100-62 wouldn't be a really good record in baseball.

a lot of the credit goes to Saban

Apr 25, 2015, 5:17 PM

He is a hyper-organized ceo-type that runs a well oiled machine. I imagine his recruiting efforts are similar. They were underachieving until he arrived, just like Clemson pre-Dabo. Saban, like Dabo, changed the work ethic and environment completely and made the school a destination with recruits fighting to get in.

I agree.

Apr 25, 2015, 5:33 PM

I agree with all that but it's become clear that the game is passing him by. His best effort at competing with the HUNH offense isn't working.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well they were 2nd this year. They've also had

Apr 25, 2015, 7:31 PM

13 players drafted in the 1st round in the last 4 years, and I don't see any other school with more than 6 over that span. That seems to justify the recruiting rankings to me. *shrug*

Great Question Bill - BAMA is like a Super Bowl winner

Apr 26, 2015, 10:16 AM

who gets the number one pick every year. And 7, 8 11, 14, 21, 22 30 ... you get the picture. It tells me two things: 1) the recruiting services as often as not do not get it right, and 2) some players and positions are more important than others - some are leaders and having a surplus of 5 stars at a few line or skill positions is not enough. Anyway, there must be a formula somewhere but I seem to have misplaced it.

But is goes something like this:

Talent+Desire+Character+Commitment+Coaching+Team+Pride+Leadership+Strength+Speed+Love of Team & Game+Intangibles+Luck = Natl Championship

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Facilities, Coaching, Winning, Momentum, SEC, Cash(maybe).**

Apr 26, 2015, 10:21 AM

nm

A program like Bama is always going to receive an extra

Apr 26, 2015, 10:36 AM

pass, if you will, simply because of their fame. That's because most of the time they back up the hype with results on the gridiron.

Other times, the media will pay the same respect to programs like Southern Cal, Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, etc.

The important thing for us to remember is that we don't yet have an elite program - a respectable one, for sure - but not elite. Thus, we rally around someone like Dabo Swinney in hopes that he continues forward progress to the point that we are included in the media hype annually.

I'll add: there are a whole lot of programs across this nation which would love to have had the recent success we've enjoyed. Having the #1 ranked defense in the nation last year goes a long way toward the respectability that we crave. That we've beaten the likes of LSU, Ohio State and Oklahoma among others has raised more than a few eyebrows. That our recruiting classes are among the best are elitist. That's the kind of progress we all should enjoy and encourage.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 2,032
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic