Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Spurrier makes friends everywhere he goes (c/p)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 1
| visibility 1,838

Spurrier makes friends everywhere he goes (c/p)

Apr 1, 2015, 11:51 PM

(from yesterday's AJC--sorry if germanic)

by Michael Cunningham

AJC recruiting expert Michael Carvell has a fantastic blog post today. Following up on his report that Steve Spurrier offered a scholarship to a local middle school player, Carvell compiles the answers of Spurrier and six other prominent coaches to his question: “How early is too early to recruit a kid?”

I recommend you read their answers. The coaches reveal a lot in the way they talk about this issue.

Notice the coaches don’t talk about the appropriateness of wooing kids so young. They don’t fret that it’s bit sleazy for them to pursue 13-years old (and younger?) and pressure them with a sales pitch.

Almost without exception the recruits are discussed dispassionately. They are subjects in a cost/benefit analysis that does not factor in their interests. This does not surprise me but it’s striking how the coaches don’t seem to notice how they sound.

Les Miles talks exclusively about whether it's possible to properly evaluate the football potential of kids so young. That’s also the general theme for Bob Stoops, Mike Gundy and Butch Jones: Can these kids help me?

(Al Golden says he’s not sure if offering kids so young is legal under NCAA rules. Ignorance of NCAA regulations probably is not a good thing for a head coach to admit.)

I should mention Hugh Freeze is an exception. He says recruits would benefit from a rule prohibiting offers before junior year, so at least he’s thinking of them. Freeze admits that he participates in a practice he wishes were outlawed but having a conscience is a start.

It’s no surprise that Spurrier was the coach to just come out and say it straight. Spurrier says a coach can get a commitment from a middle school recruit and, if the kid doesn’t pan out, "find some reason" to break it. Thanks for being honest, I guess?

I hope Mookie Blaylock and other parents know Spurrier’s views on this issue. They should know that Spurrier is just the one coach honest enough to say the kids are only worth a commitment as long as they can do something for Coach.

To those who rage against recruits for “decommitting” or some other such atrocity: read what these coaches say and reconsider who’s really getting screwed in this system.

link to the Carvel article:
http://recruiting.blog.ajc.com/2015/03/30/how-early-is-too-early-for-colleges-to-recruit-kids-for-football/

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think this is one of the many things our staff has going

Apr 2, 2015, 6:23 AM

for them, they are genuine and have the players interests in mind. Dabo has repeatedly honored a scholarship to players that could not continue to play the game anymore. This is noticed by players and families just as much as old slurries comments. I'm glad we have our guys, keep up the good work!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 1
| visibility 1,838
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic