Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sitting here watching Barnes' press conf at Tenn...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Sitting here watching Barnes' press conf at Tenn...

Mar 31, 2015, 4:26 PM

thinking back he brought some incredible energy to Clemson that quite frankly OP didn't attain nor anyone else.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sitting here watching Barnes' press conf at Tenn...

Mar 31, 2015, 4:29 PM

yep it was a unique time. he had the one group who did great but really could recruit much at CU either. sooner or later everyone falls prey to that. we must solve it

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^This***

Mar 31, 2015, 4:33 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Ellis could recruit here***

Mar 31, 2015, 6:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Sitting here watching Barnes' press conf at Tenn... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, until the NCAA took an interest

Mar 31, 2015, 7:37 PM

Then, his recruiting dropped off pretty quick.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ricky Jones, Elden Campbell, and Sharone Wright, were

Mar 31, 2015, 8:29 PM [ in reply to Ellis could recruit here*** ]

the big-time recruits that come to mind. Dale Davis was not highly rated coming out of high school and was more of a raw project. Who were some of the other great recruits that Ellis pulled in?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Campbell was not that highly rated

Mar 31, 2015, 8:48 PM

Jones and Wayne Buckingham were probably Cliff's two highest rated recruits. Devin Gray as well, along with guys who didn't stick around like Michael Best. Cliff regularly pulled in highly rated jucos like Cash and Whitney

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apart from Sharone that is***

Mar 31, 2015, 8:49 PM

Sharone Wright was both a Parade and McDonalds

Mar 31, 2015, 10:24 PM [ in reply to Campbell was not that highly rated ]

All-American. He chose Clemson over Duke, NC State, Syracuse, USC, Tennessee, and Georgia Tech.

You may be right about Campbell. As I recall, he had offers from Pepperdine, who had some good teams at the time, and Southern Cal, and in my memory was pretty highly rated, but that was in the days before "stars". I had forgotten about Devin Gray - he was certainly highly rated. Cliff probably did recruit as well as anybody has here, yet it still wasn't good enough, and he had to go the JUCO route quite a bit.

- H. L. Mencken

Crap - sorry - I missed your add on about Sharone.***

Mar 31, 2015, 10:25 PM

- H. L. Mencken

Mar 31, 2015, 4:29 PM

But we are a football school, we don't care nuttin' 'bout no basketball. At least Tennessee doesn't mind going after a proven winner! They have made a good hire!

he was just asked in his press conference about being at a

Mar 31, 2015, 4:30 PM

football school....he said we will be a basketball and football school....didn't flinch

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His last two gigs were "football" schools!!!

Mar 31, 2015, 4:31 PM

I don't understand why anyone would ask him that? Both Texas and Clemson are football schools and he handled it very well.

reporter asking the same canned questions***

Mar 31, 2015, 4:33 PM

Mar 31, 2015, 4:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Sitting here watching Barnes' press conf at Tenn... ]

i am amazed at the love some have for a guy that left clemson in a lurch with the bogus reason he gave. fact is most know exactly why the guy left.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 31, 2015, 4:34 PM

Would have taken him back in a second.

me too!***

I would too....my goodness I know I've made mistakes in my

Mar 31, 2015, 4:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Sitting here watching Barnes' press conf at Tenn... ]

life and thank God He forgives me and moves on from them...I'd take him back in a second.

Re: I would too....my goodness I know I've made mistakes in my

Mar 31, 2015, 4:55 PM

I'd welcome him back too! I know I'll probably get blasted for this but...I look at our pitiful basketball programs and see no reason for excitement or hope. No, it's not all on Coach Brownell it's mostly on the mindset that we cant compete. Heck, I can't even get excited about the "Value Engineered", "cheap way out ", redo #2 of LJ. Why do we stand for this? I sort of feel like even CBB is a victim of our administration's bargin basement approach to our basketball program. It's a sad day.

the entire program has been treated that way my entire life

Mar 31, 2015, 4:59 PM

and as a result we've made wrong hires who came cheap or the guys who got it right left after a period of time. I'm 43....I'll be surprised to ever see a consistent winner in basketball...the sport just doesn't have the same love as football...people live for football and it's part of the culture of Clemson much the same way basketball is at Duke/NC. Obviously those schools have won at times in football but not consistently...much like us in basketball.

Re: the entire program has been treated that way my entire life

Mar 31, 2015, 5:08 PM

I agree with you completely. I'm 53 and I am wanting to feel about our basketball program like I did those 4 years Barnes was here. Why he left, I don't know. What can we do? I really don't know.

And what is that? Curious i guess i wasnt old enough to

Mar 31, 2015, 4:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Sitting here watching Barnes' press conf at Tenn... ]

know, was it the same type deal as OP or something different?

You are correct, but he was the best coach we ever had.

Mar 31, 2015, 4:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Sitting here watching Barnes' press conf at Tenn... ]

Not that the list is that distinguished... Barnes, OP and maybe Foster... That is about it.

Re: You are correct, but he was the best coach we ever had.

Mar 31, 2015, 6:28 PM

Tate's Locke knew the game of basketball . Unfortunately he took too many shortcuts to win .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 31, 2015, 4:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Sitting here watching Barnes' press conf at Tenn... ]

totally agree. Loved him till he pulled that junk which was needless and boneheaded

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it was...no doubt....got to think that after the fact he

Mar 31, 2015, 4:45 PM

regretted it just like any of us would our worst mistakes. Thankfully we get to make ours in private for the most part or if people know it's just a few close to us. Danny made mistakes and he's in the ROH....not the same mistakes but mistakes none the less....I will hold Rick in high regard for his basketball accomplishments and wish he would have made some better choices along the way.

Mar 31, 2015, 6:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Sitting here watching Barnes' press conf at Tenn... ]

Until a move to Texas Basketball is a lateral move then we can not say we were dumped or left in the lurch. Let's get our program up to Texas or even Tennessee and then we will get the recruits and the coaches....WE are very close to Tennessee...just a couple more good recruits and sustain for a couple of years then let's jump up to Texas and Oklahoma. Next will be....Gonzaga. Let Brownell build it one step at a time. The ultimate goal would be to be like Michigan state, always scrappy always contending...

Michigan St?

Mar 31, 2015, 8:41 PM

they've won national titles....been in final four after final four....like your optimism.

Yes we do! (link)

Apr 1, 2015, 1:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Sitting here watching Barnes' press conf at Tenn... ]

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=17068571

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, I will say that every SEC team, other the UK, has now

Mar 31, 2015, 4:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Sitting here watching Barnes' press conf at Tenn... ]

slipped at least one spot.

I can remember when Bama, LSU, even GA at times, obviously

Florida were good in the SEC in basketball...now it's a total mess.

Re:Well, his job just got a whole lot easier for sure.***

Mar 31, 2015, 4:38 PM

there's no doubt....you essentially have the big blue

Mar 31, 2015, 4:38 PM

monster up the road and not much else in the league. Probably good facilities and good fan support.

Mar 31, 2015, 8:59 PM

Why do many criticize OP when giving other coaches credit or praise. Don't understand the mentality of some people.

Apr 1, 2015, 12:59 AM

OP maybe could have brought energy if hadn't been using it all up on chasing young Clemson sweeties 25/30 years his junior. Talking about ripping the energy from an older man, nothing could do a better job of turning an older man into a washed up OLD man with the quickness. OP was a weak dirty old man with sexual dreams that were way over his head!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic