Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hop into you DeLorean, if you please. answer me this..(long)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 2,298

Hop into you DeLorean, if you please. answer me this..(long)

Mar 31, 2015, 3:10 PM

Would you have fired Bill Wilhelm in 1985? it seems to me that this time in Wilhelm's career is fairly similar to where jack is now.

Clemson had been a premier team in the late 70's and early 80's, but it had been since 1980 since Clemson has been to the college world series, when they promptly went 0-2 and bar-b-que. alls well that ends well since the tigers beat the chickens twice as regional host to advance. things seemed to look a little better in 1981 when Clemson hosted a regional, but quickly was eliminated at home by wichita state and east Tennessee state. it looks a little like Connecticut beating Clemson twice in a row in 2011, but at least there Clemson was one win away from advancing.

Wilhelm went from 1960 to 1976 between CWS births. Leggett is in is longest drought at five years, last making the CWS in 2010.

the optimism was short lived as Clemson failed to make the tournament at all between 1982 and 1986. jack leggett has made the tournament ever year but one during his tenure, granted in an expanded field but also in a dramatically different ACC including Florida State, Miami, and in an improved league. 1985 was a low point for Wilhelm that saw losses to The Citadel, Valdosta State, UNCCharlotte, Series loss to UNC Wilmington, Campbell, Series loss to Virginia Tech, East Tennessee State, Kentucky, Florida International, and an un precidented 0-6 sweep from our feathered friends from the midlands, 0-6 in a single season. now i realize that dabo lost five in a row to the chickens in football, but 0-6 in baseball in one season?????? is that even forgivable?

Clemson was not ranked in the final polls between 1981 and 1986, fyi Leggett has finished in the top 25 in all but four seasons, total.

i guess my point here is squelching the fact that Leggett has "run a traditional Power into the ground" i get that it is in different eras, but my point is that leggett has still done an amazing job with the program. i get that we are struggling this season and and a case can be made for moving in a different direction. but throwing leggett under the bus and claiming that he ruined what Wilhelm built is comical.

the frustrating thing about being a leggett basher started in 2006 when we lost the final games in the cws. i was in attendance in the first two games and Clemson could not have played any harder or been well coached. the final game against fullerton or whoever sucked, but how could you fault the team for being within one game of the final four? i feel like Clemson fans are entitled to win a championship, and those are unrealistic expectations. has leggett made mistakes, absolutely! but in my opinion there are at least a hundred teams would would trade places with Clemson baseball.

both Leggett and Wilhelm have been to Omaha six times, with leggett coming away as twice as many wins in the CWS as Wilhelm. Leggett has caught crap for not performing in the CWS, but remember Bill Wilhelm NEVER won more than one game in Omaha, despite finishings seasons nine times in the top ten in the final polls. Leggett has only been 0-2 once and has won at least two games in Omaha three times. Wilhelm never had to deal with back-to-back champions from our hated rivals. had sc been average, my feeling is that Leggett would be riding high and have had the support to be a power again.

I travel to as many baseball games i can, but i can tell you without a doubt that Clemson is behind SCAR, UNC, NCSU, Coastal, Va, VPI....and the list goes on when it comes to facilities. it's not about the stadiums, its about the player ammonites and we are sorely lacking. - i know that beautiful tiger field is the best for fans, we are lacking when it it comes to player support. this is being addressed, this is all well and good, but we are playing catch-up to so many other teams both within and without the ACC.

neither coach has had a lost in record. though Wilhelm came within one game of having a %500 record or worse, three times, Leggett has come within four games of a %5000 once. Wilhelm

i guess my thing is that Clemson baseball is a premium, we are/can be as well as any other team in the country. ill be honest, i wonder if it is wise fire leggett or or ride it out like we did Wilhelm. i am providing information, not an opinion. bottom line is that we all whats best for Clemson and the Clemson Baseball Program.

GO TiGERS!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ALL IN!!

I don't think it's so much Jack

Mar 31, 2015, 3:17 PM

rather his ineffective assistant coaches. That being said I agree with you 100 percent, but I never saw Wilhelm coach a game.

We all need to hope for what's best for the program. I don't think Jack is the problem.

Keep in mind

Mar 31, 2015, 3:22 PM

In the time frame you are mentioning only 36 teams made the NCAA Baseball playoffs, except 1981 when only 34 teams were in it. A whole lot harder to make the field back in those days.

Re: Keep in mind

Mar 31, 2015, 3:30 PM

how could it be harder for clemson. coach wilhelm was acc baseball. hardly any teams back then took baseball serious. i loved coach wilhelm. he recruited my brother. but the fact is in his tenure he missed the post season 19 times. yes, 19.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Keep in mind

Mar 31, 2015, 3:43 PM

For a significant portion of Wilhelm's career you weren't competing against the entire field to make the NCAA's, you were competing against the teams in your district. Teams in weaker districts had a much easier path to the tournament than we did in District 3 since so many teams in the district did take baseball serious. So between fewer teams total and competing against a better field for spots yes it was a whole lot harder to make the field in Wilhelm's day than it is now.

Yes...but

Mar 31, 2015, 3:43 PM [ in reply to Keep in mind ]

there weren't nearly the number of schools who put serious consideration and money into their baseball programs back in those days....and most of the ones who did were West of the Mississippi. The West Coast teams were playing a fall schedule, scrimmaged pro teams that wintered in Arizona and generally surpassed the facilities and attendance of most of the schools in the South and ALL the schools in the North and upper Midwest. Until the SEC--especially with success LSU had in the 90's--decided to jump into the fray with both feet. This is partially the reason the ACC hasn't won a baseball NC since Wake in the mid-50's.

Nowadays, there's not much competitive difference between the SEC and the ACC (save the the Northern schools) the Big 12 or the PAC 12 and you can visit one outstanding facility after another on a trip through the Southernmost half of the United States.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

See my post above.***

Mar 31, 2015, 8:57 PM

Re: This crowd does not take that into consideration.***

Mar 31, 2015, 9:04 PM [ in reply to Keep in mind ]

Re: Hop into you DeLorean, if you please. answer me this..(long)

Mar 31, 2015, 3:28 PM

best post about clemson baseball ever. very well said with nothing but facts. unfortunately facts on this board mean very little.

I do understand the comparisons but my complaint is I see

Mar 31, 2015, 3:40 PM

the kids not playing very fundamentally sound
baseball. Not sure if the coaches are not
coaching them up or the players are not the
caliber of players that we use to bring in. Our
base running has been hideous at best. Pitching
is not very good on our better days. We hit when
it there is not a chance to score runs more than when
we have a chance to score runs we can not buy a hit.
This is a tough situation, I just want to see us
play good baseball.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I do understand the comparisons but my complaint is I see

Mar 31, 2015, 3:53 PM

trust me, i agree. kids everywhere are not fundamentally sound anymore. coots made 8 errors one weekend recently. i blame that all on travel ball where hitting is 75% or more the important thing. our baserunning is terrible however and has to get better. i do know jack is very aggressive on the bases and always has been. we have problems that have to be fixed fast no doubt or we will get to complain about the next guy they bring in.

Mar 31, 2015, 3:57 PM

Time has certainly changed. In the late 50"s, Clemson played only 25 games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Teams also used to pad their win totals in early games

Mar 31, 2015, 4:21 PM

and tournaments. The unified start date has pretty much killed that. Everyone is forced to play more weekday games to get in the max number.

Mar 31, 2015, 10:35 PM [ in reply to Re: I do understand the comparisons but my complaint is I see ]

Did anyone notice that our lead-off hitter is hitting less than .200 (with a bad OBS, too) and yet he has been the lead-off hitter all but 2 games this season. Baseball is the prime example of "what have you done for me lately," but apparently no one is paying attention.

He's also far and away the leader in walks/hbp and runs

Apr 1, 2015, 8:53 AM

not to mention he's second on the team in steals and hasn't been caught once. He's 3rd on the team in OBP. So average doesn't exactly tell the whole story.

The bigger concern with the leadoff man isn't his low average, its the high number of strikeouts. Gotta at least put the ball in play and force them to make an error.

The arguement that playing more ball creates worse defense is stupid.

Apr 1, 2015, 6:26 PM [ in reply to Re: I do understand the comparisons but my complaint is I see ]

How can playing make someone worse at anything?

Re: You did not have to come from an upper middle class

Mar 31, 2015, 9:08 PM [ in reply to I do understand the comparisons but my complaint is I see ]

family to qualify tor the Clemson team with Wilhelm. Jack has, mostly, a bunch of panty waists who have had
everything given to them.

I also get very tired of the "destroyed what Bill built"

Mar 31, 2015, 4:20 PM

and they usually toss out the number of ACC tournament championships as some great differentiator. Wilhelm won 7 ACC championships and Jack has won 2. However, 5 of Wilhelm's 7 titles came in tournaments played either in Clemson or in Greenville. Both huge home field advantages. Jack won 1 in Greenville and 1 in Jacksonville.

Jack is a heck of a coach. Nobody can live off coattails for 21 years, especially when baseball teams turn over every 3 years. Jack didn't suddenly forget how to coach after 16 season. The fact that we've fallen so fast tells me that our problems on the diamond are larger than just a coach. But I also don't think he is the man to turn it around. He probably missed his window and at best the program is stale. We need a change in leadership and we need a change in style and we need a change in focus from the administration around baseball.

If anything I think our baseball program is the perfect example of the legacy of TDP and Barker.

Re: I also get very tired of the "destroyed what Bill built"

Mar 31, 2015, 4:29 PM

yep people say jack was handed a gold mine. they forget he was coach wilhelms hand picked successor and lead recruiter before he took over. the gold mine he was handed were players he recruited. insignificant fact i know.

Re: New blood has been needed for several years. This old

Mar 31, 2015, 9:10 PM [ in reply to I also get very tired of the "destroyed what Bill built" ]

fart has become complacent.

No TigerNet during Wilhelm's era.***

Mar 31, 2015, 4:27 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

Re: No TigerNet during Wilhelm's era.***

Mar 31, 2015, 4:29 PM

lol, lucky for coach.

I think that is my biggest point of all

Mar 31, 2015, 6:08 PM [ in reply to No TigerNet during Wilhelm's era.*** ]

we all want clemson to be number one in everything all the time, but that is just not realistic. bashing coaches and players helps little. had tigernet been around during wilhelm's last few years he shire as he!! would have been thrown under the bus like Leggett, rather than been the gold standard of clemson baseball.

again, not sure what needs to happen with leggett, but please don't ever feel like he is just this ####### who drove tiger baseball into the ground

ALL IN!!

Not choosing sides

Mar 31, 2015, 5:09 PM

but when I see people talking about Leggett, what has changed about his coaching that's different from 5-10 years ago? I still have the same issues with him, he'll leave a pitcher in too long for one, but I still think he's a good coach. I guess you could argue that he hasn't adapted to the changing recruiting environment. Thank you for mentioning the player amenities. The facilities were among the top 10 in the nation just a handful of years ago and now they are severely behind the status quo. We have been putting window dressing on it the last few years, but it would be nice to see the athletic department approve something that shows some serious commitment, even if it's a few years down the road.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

love the feedback but answer the question.....would you have

Mar 31, 2015, 7:02 PM

fired Wilhelm in 1985, the same year marty mcfly warped thirty years in the past and later the future. though the eras are different,

- i get there were not as many teams in the tournament those days, but the fact still remains clemson won ZERO games in the ncaa tournament between 1981 and 1986. Leggett has had two years total, that he did not win at least one game in the tournament.

- i get that Wilhelm is a legend in his own right, but why is Leggett held to a higher standard than the legend himself?

- i get that Clemson was the class of the ACC for so long, but why does the program get bashed since so many teams have put buckets of money into their respective baseball programs, while clemson has simply watched.

- i get that clemson has been down in baseball the past few years, but we've been to the CWS twice in the past 10 years. Wilhelm only made the CWS once in his past 13 years or so.

- i get that wilhelm won a bucket of acc tournaments, how many of those were outside the state of south carolina?

i guess there are two sides to every story, but i am on the side that had the chickens not won the two back-to-back,
leggett's seat would be warm at worst, nowhere close to the bashing he's taken since the mid 00's. . he would have not however been trashed like he is on tigernet after each and every loss and sometimes wins. i do think we need to take a long hard long look at where the program is headed, but i feel like leggett has done at least enough to earn the respect of tiger fans everywhere. it saddens me that he has been trashed like he has.

ALL IN!!

Impossible to answer in hindsight

Mar 31, 2015, 8:31 PM

and probably not fair to either JL or BW to look at it that way. I doubt that Wilhelm would have been fired in 85 if for no other reason that he was consistently winning the ACC regular season.

And the other problem with the question is you are assuming that next year will be Jacks equilivent to 86 and showing massive improvement. I would say that 2013 was Jacks 85 and the improvement just doesn't seem to be happening. We shall see.

Honestly it might just be time to make a change just for the sake of making a change. Look at Andy Reid in Philly. He is a still a great coach and has demonstrated that in KC. But for whatever reason he and the Eagles just needed to change. Stagnant water just needs to be shaken up.

How were the fundamentals and what direction was the trend?***

Apr 1, 2015, 6:27 PM

Replies: 26
| visibility 2,298
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic