Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Looks like Rick Barnes is kinda fond about the...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Looks like Rick Barnes is kinda fond about the...

Mar 31, 2015, 6:33 AM

color ORANGE. Where did he learn that?

Clemson
Texas
Tennessee

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the color he likes is green, not orange.***

Mar 31, 2015, 8:07 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tennessee don't wear orange, they wear yellow....***

Mar 31, 2015, 8:53 AM

Re: Looks like Rick Barnes is kinda fond about the...

Mar 31, 2015, 9:09 AM

Rick has made a lot of money off of college basketball for a guy who really hasn't achieved all that much.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rick Barnes has achieved a lot.

Mar 31, 2015, 9:22 AM

He's got over 600 wins which is 31st all time. And that's playing in major college conferences against top flight competition. I'd take him back in a second. Numerous ranked teams. Numerous trip to the Dance. Turned around every program he has taken over. Has he won it all? No, but that's not the total measure of achievement. He's over-achieved many times and maybe under-achieved at Texas a few times.

But to say that he hasn't achieved much is not at all true. Unless winning a national title is your only measurement.

He won almost 80 games while at Clemson in 4 years - almost 20 per year. Had us ranked as high as number 2 nationally - again, playing against UNC, Duke and other ACC powers every year. I'd take him back in a second.

Re: Rick Barnes has achieved a lot.

Mar 31, 2015, 9:25 AM

sounds like you are describing jack leggett. except he has actually gone to 6 elite 8's.

Mar 31, 2015, 10:22 AM

Neither Leggett or Barnes has won it all but to say they haven't achieved a lot, IMO, isn't close to correct. Both coaches have had lots of success and have positively influenced hundreds of kids.

I believe we all wish we could achieve as much as those two guys. I think they've been pretty successful. But again, if your only measure of success and achievement is winning a national title them 99% of everyone who has ever lived has been a failure and has not achieved anything in their lives. Pretty sad way to judge people IMO.

"The credit goes to the man in the arena." Teddy Roosevelt

Mar 31, 2015, 10:27 AM [ in reply to Rick Barnes has achieved a lot. ]

Great post and I'd take him back today. I help Brownell pack if Rick wanted to come here.

Deep down all of Clemson would welcome him back

Me too. I totally agree!***

Mar 31, 2015, 11:04 PM [ in reply to Rick Barnes has achieved a lot. ]

Re: Looks like Rick Barnes is kinda fond about the...

Mar 31, 2015, 10:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Looks like Rick Barnes is kinda fond about the... ]

MORON

He went to the Final Four....elite 8 several times....

Mar 31, 2015, 10:28 AM [ in reply to Re: Looks like Rick Barnes is kinda fond about the... ]

went to the NCAA tournament in just about every year he was at Texas...he turned our program around in short order...took us to the Sweet 16 and we were an overtime away from the Elite 8...we went to #2 in the polls....beat NC in Greensboro which is no small feat for Clemson basketball.....but other than that...guess you're right...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sixteen NCAA Tournament appearances in seventeen years....

Mar 31, 2015, 11:37 AM

in addition to the other things you mentioned. I don't care who you are, that's pretty impressive.

Texas may be too spoiled to fully appreicate what Barnes accomplished for them, but I can guarantee you that Tennessee will be elated to have him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

True, but if we were Texas, given the talent he has had and

Mar 31, 2015, 12:32 PM

the way he under achieved, we'd do exactly what Texas did. Frankly, I think they were quite patient with Barnes and Mack, all things considered.

I'm shocked they backed off of Gregg Marshall so fast. I wouldn't think a bidding war with Bama would discourage them, but evidently it did. Marshall is the best guy for that job, but they seem to have backed off and decided to focus on Smart. While I think Smart is a great young coach, his resume pales next to Marshall's, who is, in my opinion, as close to a sure thing as you can get and not only the best candidate, but the safest surest bet.

Grgg now seems to be using Bama to get a lot more money from WSU, because I can't see him leaving for the Bama job even at $4m/year when over the next next few years he will continue to be the top guy for most openings and there will be far better offers than Bama in his future, assuming he doesn't suddenly end up at Texas, but that seems unlikely at this point.

I'd love to know the story in Texas. That job at $3m/year is still way better in every way than $4m at Bama. I'm shocked Texas and Marshall didn't seal a deal fast.

null

Perhaps Gregg Marshall realizes.....

Mar 31, 2015, 12:47 PM

that Texas and its fans are spoiled and that nothing short of National Championships is going to satisfy them.

When you try to micro-manage and ultimately fire a coach with an impressive resume, it should come as no surprise that you have trouble filling the position no matter how much money you throw at the candidates.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Barnes was not micro-managed and he grossly under

Mar 31, 2015, 3:42 PM

performed since 2008. And everything I'm reading says Gregg wanted the Texas job, but his personality and attitude might be why Texas changed course. There are direct quotes saying such in a few articles online. We both know Gregg personally and he's an arrogant prick. But I'd still pay him what it took to get him at Clemson if I were pres or AD. He was a total ### even as an assistant at CofC. He loved to talk mack about Clemson and I would just laugh it off. Lynn and I were good friends and it wasn't worth starting a fight with Gregg.

null

Gregg definitely has his fathers personality***

Mar 31, 2015, 4:39 PM

I don't know his parents, but Lynn is the exact opposite of

Mar 31, 2015, 10:58 PM

Gregg, which is probably why their marriage works. She is super sweet. It was great seeing her standing behind the WSU bench cheering during the Notre Dame game. She didn't sit down the entire game.

My sister was stationed at McConnell Air Force base in Wichita for 5 years. You couldn't pay me to live in Kansas. Not many trees and the freakin' wind blows ALL THE TIME. And cold doesn't even begin to describe the winters there.

null

Texas and Tennessee are about as orange as

Mar 31, 2015, 12:21 PM

Rascal Flatts is country music

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic