Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How I see the RB rotation settling by the Fall.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,725

How I see the RB rotation settling by the Fall.

Mar 27, 2015, 4:45 PM

No. I'm not an expert. Now that we've established that:

I'm not as high as some people are on our RBs. I think they have a ton of potential but haven't produced on a regular basis to merit the untamed optimism some display. It is a interesting group: CJ Davidson showed a lot of promise but fumbles, Dye and Choice look like the tough inside runners CM always wanted. So, by the fall, here is how I see it going down.

#1 Wayne Gallman: He has "the hot hand" if you will. He'll be a little bigger, a bit faster, and most importantly- has the most confidence. He didn't fumble last year and stayed healthy. Lost in the shuffle is the fact that he has more yards from scrimmage than almost all of the other guys combined. Somewhat concerning is the lack of goal line touches, he didn't do well in short yardage, and lacks vision. Still, he's the guy for now.

#2 Tyshon Dye: I was stoked about Dye when he came to Clemson. He's no Gurley, but he ran hard on his tape and can catch. His debut was rushed due to injuries, so I'm excited to see how he does. He'll push Gallman to run hard. And I think Dye will end up being the starter by mid-season...provided he stays healthy.

From this point forward, all positions depend on CJ Davidson.

#3 or #6 CJ Davidson: We all know he's fast, and he puts the ball on the ground. One could make the case that Davidson lost the FSU game(which is unfair to him), and he tried to give the Syracuse game away. BUT, he did reel off that beautiful game winning TD against BC. After Syracuse, CJ only saw garbage carries. You might be surprised to see him at #3, and so am I. The truth is that Davidson has good vision, can catch, and fly. If he learns to love the football, he'll play in meaningful situations. He has something none of the other backs possess and that's top end speed.

#4 Adam Choice: Choice was coming on until the BC game. It would make more sense to RS him this season. But I suspect someone(Brooks) will get dinged up or Davidson slides, and we will see more of Choice as the season progresses. I also expect him to contribute more than Dye was able to last season. I think he's a solid #4 to start the season but will work into the top 3. He's another guy where Wofford and App St. will be huge to get work and gain confidence- if he's ready to go.

#5 or #3 Zac Brooks: The Wofford and App St game are crucial for Brooks. He'll be able to get good live snaps before Louisville. The sad part about Brooks is he can't stay healthy. In fact, he hasn't played a full season since his junior year of high school. Zac is smaller than his listed weight, and doesn't possess top speed or quicks. So he needs to stay healthy to contribute, but if Gallman, Dye, Choice, and Davidson get rolling, he'll be the forgotten man.

#6 or #5 CJ Fuller: I'm not a huge fan of his from the tape. But Clemson did give him a scholarship which means a lot. Fuller could be a transfer candidate. I just don't see him beating out the guys ahead of him. Of course, Gallman was in this spot last year, so what do I know?

Overall, I hope we see a three-headed attack of Gallman, Dye, and Choice by midseason with Brooks and Davidson used creatively. Probability and history says one of these guy will get hurt(Brooks), one will likely transfer(Fuller), and the another will not live up to the hype(Davidson).

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How I see the RB rotation settling by the Fall.

Mar 27, 2015, 5:08 PM

i don't share your opinion about Fuller. I see him working his way up to Num 3 maybe 2 depending on Dye. I just don't think brookes is a RB Cj Davidson just isn't either. Choice will Redshirt No doubt

I could be completely wrong on this but

Mar 27, 2015, 5:37 PM

I think Fuller is going to surprise some folks this year...I really like what I have seen and been hearing about him. He seems like a very tough rb with good vision. I do think a healthy Dye will be the starter be years end if he can get to where he was when he came here...very talented

Accordion to repoires

Mar 27, 2015, 5:40 PM

Fuller has been the best goalline back

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

I have been a Fuller fan all along. It's all speculation and

Mar 27, 2015, 7:06 PM

of course I'm no expert either, but I thought he looked great in HS. He's big, he's fast, and he can make people miss and make that first big cut. I never understood why he wasn't more highly regarded, and I think he will be the number 3 guy behind Gallman and Dye when it all shakes out. Like you say, coaches have really been singing his praises.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Davidson would be a great back

Mar 27, 2015, 5:48 PM

If he can learn to hang on to the ball. He was our best back the first part of the season IMO.

Re: Davidson would be a great back

Mar 27, 2015, 5:52 PM

he would be our best back if he did not have 5 more talented backs ahead of him.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 27, 2015, 6:06 PM

Is CJ Davidson fast? I see people say that all the time mainly because he ran track, but he has 2 plays over 20 yards in his career. It could be he is a hurdler and not a football player, but I don't see the track speed.

Rotation, I don't know. But I like this group. Here's why-

Mar 27, 2015, 6:52 PM

First, imagine if this unit can stay healthy. That's a good start. Then consider we've got a very unique group with several guys that have different skill sets, speed, and experience. I don't know about our rotation but I think we're in great position here. Plus, I think if DW is healthy he's a true run threat. Think about this-

D.J. Howard carried the ball 50 times last season and he's gone (3.9 yd avg). That's 50 carries headed elsewhere. Also, Cole Stoudt rushed/was forced to run 69 times last season and somebody else will be on the carrying end of the ball this season- whether it be DW, a RB, or a receiver wearing orange. People not longer with Clemson this year carried the ball 135 times. After letting that sink in it really had me thinking positively. Just something to consider...

Adam Choice did well last season especially given he's a greenhorn (50 carries 218 yds TD 4.4 avg). Additionally, Choice made 9 catches for 90 yards and that 10 yd avg looks good from here. The rookie looked sharp against a stiff Louisville defense as he carried the ball 16 times for 61 yds and a TD. Still he only played in 6 games due to injury. Let's hope Choice comes back healthy for his sophomore campaign cause he's got some pop to him.

Speaking of folks we'd love to see healthy, Tyshon Dye who only played in four games during the 2014 campaign. After missing the entire 2013 season with a back injury, fans want to see more of him. He was set back by not participating in 2014 spring practice with a torn achilles. His only real action came against GaST where he rushed 20 times for 124 yards and 2 scores. For the year, Dye had 32 attempts for 151 yds 2 TDs 4.7 avg. Most feel we have yet to see him at his best and nearing 5 yds a carry ain't bad.

C.J. Davidson brings a different style of RB given his track background. His 32 yard run against BC was perhaps one of his finer moments. However most remember a couple of loose balls which cost us. Nonetheless he carried the ball 64 times for 248 yds 3 TDs 3.9 avg. Zac Brooks is another guy who brings another dimension with his game, especially in his receiving game. Most will remember his leaping sideline catch in the 2013 UGA game. Let's just get him out there healthy and see.
Zach Brooks 31 yd TD catch vs UGA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVX8KJu98tY

Probably one of the best surprises of the year was the play of Wayne Gallman. He had 470 yards rushing in the last two months alone with an average of 5.5 per carry. Gallman has proven he can be a workhorse RB after carrying the ball 27 times vs scar for 191 yds and a 7.1 yd avg. For the year, he had 161 carries for 769 yds 4 TDs 4.8 avg. Adding some weight to his 200 lb frame wouldn't hurt.

Lastly, Clemson has the X factor in Deshaun Watson. Sure there are several questions here- how will he heal up?, how will he be used?, more runs or less runs? So the one thing we know is we've got a good quarterback for sure. He definitely has the dual threat speed and vision that we missed while he was out. His yards per rush avg was nearly three times that of his replacement. On the season, Watson had 63 runs for 200 yds 5 TDs 3.2 avg. Sure hope he can get and stay healthy this year cause we'd all like to see how far he can take us. Makes ya wonder, doesn't it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN_U7gI6Yjg

It'll be Gallman & Dye

Mar 27, 2015, 7:08 PM

With a little RM3 mixed in for a change up/Jet sweep out of the slot. Davidson will be last man on the totem pole... He's not a D-1 back imo...Has speed but lacks the vision and toughness and ball security to get any significant snaps...

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Mar 27, 2015, 9:51 PM

Fuller will be the main guy by mid-season.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,725
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic