Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Whose bright idea was it to bring Syracuse into the ACC??
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 2,833

Whose bright idea was it to bring Syracuse into the ACC??

Mar 6, 2015, 7:26 PM

I wish we could dump them! I never liked them, and now they are an embarrassment. Same for UNC, but we will never get rid of them.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Wondered the same thing....

Mar 6, 2015, 7:34 PM

Rutgers would have been a better addition if ACC was looking for exposure in that (NY) region.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ummm... No

Mar 6, 2015, 7:51 PM

Syracuse has a much bigger following in NYC than Rutgers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah...

Mar 6, 2015, 8:24 PM

it seems ANY institution in the vicinity could have been better than 'Cuse.
I actually hoped Penn State could have been available...of course, they had issues as well.
Guess the conference has to deal with 'Cuse for a while.

Re: ummm... No

Mar 6, 2015, 8:53 PM [ in reply to ummm... No ]

Who gives a Shaytt about any of those yankee school

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Whose bright idea was it to bring Syracuse into the ACC??

Mar 6, 2015, 7:36 PM

I would guess the ACC BOTs with Swofford as the ring leader of the schools picked!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The ACC should have simply expanded in the following

Mar 6, 2015, 8:31 PM

manner.

1989 Conference included the following 8 teams:

Clemson
Duke
Georgia Tech
Maryland
North Carolina
NC State
Virginia
Wake Forest

In 1989, Penn State was unsuccessful in forming a football conference that included eastern powers. Before Penn State joined the Big Ten, the ACC should have given them an invite and also invited FSU at the same time. That 10-team conference would have included the following teams:

Clemson
Duke
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Maryland
North Carolina
NC State
Penn State
Virginia
Wake Forest

Then came 2003 and the ACC leaders were still clueless about adding Virginia Tech and only lucked into getting the Hokies because it was shoved down their throats. In 2003, the expansion should have included Virginia Tech for its crowd support, atmosphere and football, not to mention it is a major state university. At twelve teams, the conference should have included the following:

Clemson
Duke
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Maryland
Miami, Fl.
North Carolina
NC State
Penn State
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest

In 2011, the Conference, with Penn State, would have no need for Pitt (another city school with a pro off-campus stadium). Miami's trophy case and television draw trumps the fact that they have low crowd support and an off-campus stadium. So with no need for Pitt, the ACC should have gotten West Virginia (great crowd support at home and away, good in many sports, and a major state university). Along with West Virginia as number 13, Rutgers could have been 14 and Syracuse 15. Rutgers has great crowd support and atmosphere and opens up a lot of recruiting in New Jersey. Syracuse does bring the entire state of New York and is a basketball icon. That is a contiguous conference from Miami through the state of New York. Maryland doesn't leave the league if Penn State is in it. The conference is the eastern seaboard conference and would include Miami, D.C., Philadelphia, New York, Atlanta markets and all states and cities in between. As much as I like Boston College fans, I just don't see that we really needed them or Pitt. Louisville is a major player in all sports and has crowd appeal, but they probably would have never been offered had things played out as described. Notre Dame is a fine addition, but I can take them or leave them if they are not all in. So for the 16th team we could have ND as they are now and hope they become all in, have Boston College or Connecticut to add another state and market, or that spot could go to Louisville which is still contiguous and pulls her weight. Here is the conference as it should be at 16 teams. The biggest mistake the ACC made years ago was not inviting Penn State and Florida State at the same time about two years before they joined conferences. They were both shopping for a conference at that time.
Clemson
Duke
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Louisville
Maryland
Miami, Fl.
North Carolina
NC State
Penn State
Rutgers
Syracuse
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
West Virginia

Personally, the one original school that I wish was out of the conference is Wake Forest. Four teams from North Carolina just takes up too much without adding market.
And it doesn't help that Wake is simply in over its head and doesn't add much regarding crowd support or television appeal. This would be my contiguous conference.

Clemson
Duke
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Louisville
Maryland
Miami, Fl.
North Carolina
NC State
Notre Dame
Penn State
Rutgers
Syracuse
Virginia
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

I would not miss Pitt or Wake in the least. I would feel bad that Boston College is not in it, but I would have to take Louisville over them.

Re: The ACC should have simply expanded in the following

Mar 6, 2015, 10:17 PM

Not bad! Good thinking, but you forgot one blip. Swofford, so you can't use logic in any positive application.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 6, 2015, 9:44 PM

swoffie is to blame

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 6, 2015, 10:13 PM

Swofford, most likely. I wonder just how proud he is of his old Alma Mater now that they have been guilty of Academic Fraud for 21 years? Inquiring minds want to know.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ESPN seems to think something similar will happen to UNC

Mar 7, 2015, 8:54 AM

They were speculating about it this morning.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Not as long as Swoffie is in charge******

Mar 7, 2015, 9:14 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not as long as Swoffie is in charge******

Mar 7, 2015, 9:20 AM

agree that the worthless swoffie will protect his cheating heels BUT he should go NOW!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully, the NCAA will push Swoffie aside

Mar 7, 2015, 9:23 AM [ in reply to Not as long as Swoffie is in charge****** ]

since this is so widespread. But, I won't believe it until I see it.

--Henry David Thoreau

Re: Hopefully, the NCAA will push Swoffie aside

Mar 7, 2015, 10:45 AM

the other ACC schools simply do not have the GUTS to get rid of that worthless $^&#*#$&$%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!not one admin or BOT has done one thing!

Re: ESPN seems to think something similar will happen to UNC

Mar 9, 2015, 11:41 AM [ in reply to ESPN seems to think something similar will happen to UNC ]

I hope they get nailed!

Never happen

Mar 9, 2015, 12:54 PM [ in reply to ESPN seems to think something similar will happen to UNC ]

GT and Cuse have proven that if you cooperate, self report and admit that the NCAA will punish you, if you lie, nothing happens.

Mar 6, 2015, 10:41 PM

probably devised by the Big East

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have relatives who grew up in Syracuse and went to

Mar 7, 2015, 10:07 AM

Syracuse ...

They didn't want to join the ACC either ... they were hoping for a Big 10 bid ... while I like my relatives, they do have an "attitude". The usual, "Oh, its the South" ... "rednecks" ....

Personally, I think we should have gotten WVU ... makes geographic and rivalry sense ... too late now I guess

Re: I have relatives who grew up in Syracuse and went to

Mar 7, 2015, 10:18 AM

The Ten Dumbest Fan Bases in America: #8 West Virginia

5:24p ET
Posted by Clay Travis
Share 18.1K
Tweet 271

During conference expansion one fan base exceeded all other fan bases in pure delusion -- West Virginia.

Morning after morning I'd awake to find a grammatically challenged missive about why West Virginia was a great fit for the SEC or the ACC or the Big Ten or the Big 12 or the Pac 12 or any other conference in the country not named the Big East. The reasoning was illogical, harebrained, conspiracy-laden and downright incomprehensible. All of it suggested that West Virginia was a "national brand" with "huge television ratings" that promised decades of continued renown.

All of it was ridiculous and stupid.

Welcome to West Virginia, the 8th dumbest fan base in the country.

In 1940 West Virginia had a population of over 1.9 million people. Eighty years later the 2010 United States census estimated there were now 1.8 million people living in the state.

This means that during a seventy year period representing one of the most successful economic expansions in world history, the state of West Virginia actually lost 100,000 residents.

How remarkable was this population decline?

West Virginia was the only state in America to actually lose population during these seventy years. This reduction in population is particularly impressive when you consider that from 1940 to 2010 the United States nationwide population surged from 130 million to over 308 million. So during a time when the United States added 185 million people, West Virginia lost 100,000 residents.

This is almost impossible to accomplish.

Congrats, West Virginia.

What was left behind?

A hardy bunch of delusional neanderthal Mountaineer fans who truly believe that West Virginia is a national leader in athletics. They believe this despite the fact that they clearly never attended the school. All fan bases have dumb fans, but West Virginia boasts the lowest percentage of residents in the United States with bachelor's degrees, at just 17.3 percent of the population.

So it's quite probable that West Virginia is truly the dumbest state in the nation. You can say this without even using hyperbole. Statistics prove it. Hell, how dumb are West Virginia people? Arkansas and Mississippi residents can say without irony, "Y'all need to study more."

How crooked is the West Virginia program? So crooked that Pacman Jones and Chris Henry were college roommates.

Roommates!

And they both stayed eligible throughout their entire tenure in Morgantown, which, in case you're wondering, is just a modern day Deadwood. How much do players get away with in Morgantown? That's where Aaron Hernandez buried all his bodies.

No one even noticed.

Hell, West Virginia fans are famous for burning couches. Less popular but more interesting? After the college kids burn the couches West Virginia fans reclaim the burned couches and use them as actual couches in their singlewides for the next decade.

It would stand to reason that the dumbest group of state residents in the country would also be the dumbest fan base in America.

But, sadly, West Virginia only comes in at number eight on our list. That's because West Virginia loses every big game that matters. Even when the odds are stacked in their favor. Like the season finale in 2007, when at long last West Virginia had a chance to enter the national stage and then those rich big city ######## from Pittsburgh rolled right into Morgantown as 28.5 point underdogs and swiped the burning couches right out from under their noses.

So what's the dumbest stereotypical West Virginia fan like in his habitat:

He works at Wal-Mart, which happens to be the largest private employer in the state of West Virginia. (Seriously, you can't even make this stuff up.) He doesn't actually attend West Virginia games, but he watches the Mountaineers play in the audio-video section of the Charleston Wal Mart. This is the only way he can watch the games since his doublewide doesn't have access to cable yet. He was suspended from Wal Mart for a week during last year's Pitt game for carrying in his granddaddy's musket, which was used over the past 150 years to shoot both Yankee and Confederate soldiers -- why choose sides when you can sell moonshine to both? -- wild hogs, three bears, two hookers who wouldn't accept wild turkeys as payment, and an ornery cousin/wife.

He last read a book in 1974, but he's convinced that gay marriage will eventually lead to sodomy in the streets.

Speaking of sodomy in the streets, he has two daughters by three women -- don't ask -- and both daughters have already left West Virginia for Kentucky because, "That's where the action is."

By "action" they mean a better meth market with wealthier consumers.

For the past forty-eight years, his mother has begun each of his birthday stories by saying, "Boy, you're awful lucky abortion wasn't legal when I got pregnant with you!"

Last year he finally got up the nerve to tell his mother this upset him and would she please stop telling that joke at his birthday party. His momma pulled the snuff out of her lip, spit and said, "Joke?"

Lots of people make fun of West Virginia for having loose standards when it comes to incest. But, by God, he will fight you if he has to. He hates stereotypes. (At least the ones that don't involve minorities). How many times does he have to tell you? He lost his virginity to his SECOND cousin. And she was once removed. That's a BIG difference.

He has no hobbies aside from occasionally shooting beebees at the mailman. Although he got interested in geneaology for a while when his momma told him they were direct descendants of Daniel in the Lion's Den. But when he kept having to loop back up into the family tree, he gave up and went back to drinking moonshine and promising he would strangle Rich Rodriguez to death if he ever tries to come back into the state.

Considered driving to Texas for a road game but realized that the trip would cost nine months of his yearly salary. Also, since he's never actually left West Virginia before he believes he needs a passport to travel across state lines.

He'd hoped to have a son and if he did he was going to name him Major after Major Harris. For eighteen consecutive years he called into local sports talk radio anytime a quarterback was injured in the NFL and suggested the team needed to, "Just pick up Major."

Once met Major Harris in the Charleston Wal Mart employment line and said, completely serious, "Major Harris, what are you doing here? You buying Wal Mart?"

Harris chuckled softly and placed his application back on the shelf before walking quietly out the door.

Ever since that day he's lied and told everyone in a West Virginia t-shirt shopping at his Wal Mart -- so basically every person -- that he sold Major Harris a 100 inch flat screen television on special order.

Almost Heaven, West Virginia ....

Mar 7, 2015, 10:27 AM

Really, its a pretty State. Irony is, people I know from West Virginia .. they don't WANT to "progress" .... West Virginia really, has a lot of hippies, known for hippie communes ... its sorta like Alaska, people live there cause they don't WANT to be "mainstream" ...

Best skiing in the mid-Atlantic, Snowshoe, Timberline

We had no choice but to add them

Mar 9, 2015, 11:52 AM

the expansion meeting was held in the Carrier Dome. They locked the doors and wouldn't let anybody out. Then they started jingling their keys so the noise was almost as unbearable as the heat so the ACC had to submit and let them in.

Dude they have a killer lacrosse team!***

Mar 9, 2015, 1:22 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 2,833
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic