Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If the Coots can attract
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 2,125

If the Coots can attract

Mar 4, 2015, 9:22 AM

A good football coach because they are in the SEC then why the heck wouldn't we be able to attract a good basketball coach because we are in the ACC? Seriously, when the time comes for a change, we can attract some decent prospective coaches.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes we can but the bigger issue is....

Mar 4, 2015, 9:27 AM

will the University be willing to put together a compensation package that a coach of that caliber will merit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

^^BINGO^^

Mar 4, 2015, 9:28 AM

The Coots got SOS because they were willing to pay for SOS. I don't see Clemson ever forking out big cash for a basketball coach.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

op was the 4th highest paid coach in the acc. that's not

Mar 4, 2015, 9:29 AM

bad scratch for lil old clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was 6 years ago though. I guarantee you

Mar 4, 2015, 9:32 AM

with Petino, Boeheim, Dixon, and Brey in the league BB is not in the top 7. Gottfried probably makes more too.

sure, there are hofers in your list. all i pointed out is

Mar 4, 2015, 9:38 AM

clemson was willing to pay upper dollar for op. i'd hope cu's investment in their coach will match its investment in the facilities as well.

they've recently shown the ability & desire to do so with op.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OP didn't come-in making top dollar though...

Mar 4, 2015, 9:45 AM

He was there a few years before he got a big pay day. If memory serves, his base salary was less than $225,000 per year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and? clemson is getting ready to dump $63mil into

Mar 4, 2015, 9:48 AM

lj, whether op earned 4th highest pay money in year 1 or 4, clemson was willing to pay it.

My point is....

Mar 4, 2015, 9:50 AM

they paid it to keep him not to get him.

i knew your point, sorry, i don't need your walk thru...

Mar 4, 2015, 9:53 AM

they paid it and i believe in support of the $63mil investment they'd do it again to attract someone.

they did not have to invest in op, it was a choice and a positive statement about clemson's willingness to "play" in d1 basketball.

When is the last time Clemson paid top dollar.....

Mar 4, 2015, 10:05 AM

to attract a head coach in any sport?

The next time it happens may very well be the first time. It's just not something Clemson does.

If they were willing to do so, why didn't they do it when OP departed for DePaul or when Bowden was fired. Instead they opted to promote Dabo and hire Brownell from Wright State and just like Dabo, Brownell began his tenure at Clemson modestly compensated.

How does Coach Wong's salary compare to his peers'?***

Mar 4, 2015, 10:11 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I don't know but....

Mar 4, 2015, 10:27 AM

when he was hired back in 2014, he was considered one of the top "young" coaches in the nation which further supports my position that Clemson does not typically go after veteran coaches who would garner much higher compensation packages. In fact, I believe he was an assistant coach at UNC when Clemson hired him.

if their oars break, do you think someone toe them back

Mar 4, 2015, 10:33 AM [ in reply to How does Coach Wong's salary compare to his peers'?*** ]

to the docks or is that just wong?

If that's wong, I don't want to be right***

Mar 4, 2015, 10:41 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

amen.***

Mar 4, 2015, 10:49 AM

they offered the coach from mississippi state ~$2mil.***

Mar 4, 2015, 10:27 AM [ in reply to When is the last time Clemson paid top dollar..... ]

$2MIL

the first call tdp made was to offer the football job to butch davis which would have been another major move.

this isn't your clemson where hatfield was a huge higher, tommy bowden was paid righteous bucks to leave tulane.

if there's one thing i agree with the brad supporters, he was rushed into a difficult situation with the way op left town.

I remember the reports....

Mar 4, 2015, 10:44 AM

of Clemson offering Stansbury close to $2 million and that may be true but I have never heard anyone with any actual knowledge comment on the specifics of the discussions with Stansbury.

At the time I believe Stansbury was making about $1.3 million annually at MSU.

and you probably won't, but stansbury is quoted in enough

Mar 4, 2015, 10:47 AM

articles that it was a serious consideration.

h3ll, cu went hard after tim floyd and thought he was hired before op.

Re: My point is....

Mar 4, 2015, 10:09 AM [ in reply to My point is.... ]

> they paid it to keep him not to get him.

How did that work out for Clemson?

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Coots got SOS because....

Mar 4, 2015, 9:32 AM [ in reply to ^^BINGO^^ ]

he was promised a membership to Augusta National otherwise he would have never even remotely considered coaching there.

that and it was the only place left that had never done

Mar 4, 2015, 10:05 AM

anything so he could come in and stroke his ego....the first time this the first time that.....all because of their pathetic history in football.

They just did what they did with Holtz, it just worked

Mar 4, 2015, 9:29 AM

out a bit better this time around.

It would be like us going to hire Bobby Knight or Digger Phelps.

Re: If the Coots can attract

Mar 4, 2015, 9:36 AM

I agree. Really wish we could get Shaka Smart. He has done an incredible job at VCU. Love his coaching style and think with just little tweaking and recruiting we could be a big time contender in the ACC.HE IS already recruiting some of the states best players to go to VCU.

who said the coots can attract a big time head coach because

Mar 4, 2015, 9:44 AM

They are in the acc?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

SEC $***

Mar 4, 2015, 9:56 AM

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Oh yeah

Mar 4, 2015, 9:58 AM

They also have a unc type of class schedule

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Coots only got Slurrier because of Augusta National***

Mar 4, 2015, 10:03 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 27
| visibility 2,125
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic