Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
BB may be great at Xs and Os
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

BB may be great at Xs and Os

Mar 4, 2015, 12:19 AM

But Ws and Ls are all that matters, and hes not getting the job done. MEDIOCRE

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He has the best ACC winning percentage in Clemson basketball history.

Mar 4, 2015, 12:48 AM

I know you don't like him, but facts are facts.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Completely different ACC and college bball landscape now...

Mar 4, 2015, 1:02 AM

.500 in the conference used to mean you were a lock for the NCAA Tournament

Now .500 in the conference means you might not even make the NIT, and in 2011, it meant we had an RPI of 150.

thats correct....and yet, in another post YOU cite

Mar 4, 2015, 7:17 AM

the records of past Clemson coaches in a very lame attempt to criticize Coach Brownell......so which is it?? Should the performances of previous Clemson basketball coaches be used as gauge or not??? The ACC has changed considerably.

Look familiar?:
"It's also interesting to note that if we don't make the postseason that will be 3 times in Brownell's 5 seasons. That's the same number of times that Ellis, Barnes, and Purnell missed the postseason combined in their collective 21 seasons as CU's head basketball coach."

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The ACC has changed considerably...

Mar 4, 2015, 10:34 AM

We've added Miami, BC, VT, Pitt, Syracuse, ND, and this year Louisville. While some of those teams are sometimes good, none of them are consistently as good as UNC or Duke, who we now only play once a year usually.

The ACC is watered down...so no, conference records aren't the same as they were in the past.

The NIT and NCAA Tournaments, the measure of success that I mentioned, are still mainly predicated on RPI and the number of quality wins. Nothing has changed in the RPI formula or what it takes to get into the postseason tournaments. The fact is we're winning more conference games, but our RPI is consistently worse under Brownell because not as many conference wins are "quality wins" any more.

a lot that has gotten us....one NCAA tourney bid in five yrs***

Mar 4, 2015, 7:19 AM [ in reply to He has the best ACC winning percentage in Clemson basketball history. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: BB may be great at Xs and Os

Mar 4, 2015, 1:17 AM

Look at the talent on the floor and what he's managed to do with it.

Mar 4, 2015, 8:19 AM

And he is ENTIRELY responsible for the lack of it. He just needs better players, he does great with what he has, blah blah blah. Those are all his recruits! That is his recruited talent.

Uh hes the one that recruited them

Mar 4, 2015, 8:24 AM [ in reply to Re: BB may be great at Xs and Os ]

Re: Uh hes the one that recruited them

Mar 4, 2015, 1:08 PM

And he did the best he could with our facilities. I don't see your point

Re: Uh hes the one that recruited them

Mar 4, 2015, 10:50 PM

Elite coaches win before they have the facilities. What did Duke have when coach K arrived? What did UNLV have when Tark arrived?

Mar 4, 2015, 1:17 AM

Is there a horse in Alabama that's still alive?I will give you credit, you when you beat one you beat the hell out of it!

Re: BB may be great at Xs and coach

Mar 4, 2015, 1:23 AM

I don't think he is very good, his style of basketball isn't how the game is meant to be played. It's almost unwatchable and very boring. The way I see what will need to be done in a few years, should be done right away.

Mar 4, 2015, 7:20 AM

Basketball isn't meant to be played with good fundamentals and defense?

Don't tell Kentucky or UVA that.

Mar 4, 2015, 8:42 AM

Kentucky pushes the ball and will run. UVA won't make the final 8. The style play that clemson plays is boring and not how the game was meant to be played. If enjoy it that's fine, I can't wait and hope when clemson replaces Brownell in the next two years we get a coach who plays a different style.

Mar 4, 2015, 8:59 AM

Kentucky is also ridiculously deep and scary talented. But when it comes right down to it, they're fundamentally sound and play fantastic defense. Something Brownell is trying to establish, and is doing so pretty successfully for the most part.

We'll agree to disagree about UVA. They're built to go on an NCAA run, especially with Justin Anderson returning soon. UVA is the model Clemson should be looking to for success, as they're extremely similar in style. UVA just finds ways to score better than Clemson.

Basketball starts with the fundamentals, something the OP teams severely lacked. It's not the style of play that's the problem, rather the lack of playmakers at this point in time.

So what was the style of play when they were using

Mar 4, 2015, 11:09 PM [ in reply to Re: BB may be great at Xs and coach ]

peach baskets. I bet that was fun to watch.

I think his style of basketball is exactly how the game is

Mar 4, 2015, 9:14 AM [ in reply to Re: BB may be great at Xs and coach ]

meant to be played. Unfortunately he hasn't been able to bring in the talent to make it work. I also think it is yet to be determined whether he can actually execute his style of basketball. I have watched UVA play a lot and the execution is perfect. They run a lot of sets to get mismatches and it leads to open shots at the rim. CBB's teams seem unable to make it happen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

^^This, mostly

Mar 4, 2015, 9:29 AM

UVA should be the model for Clemson. We just need the talent level to take a step up. I think it will with next year's squad. Not that I think Clemson will win the ACC and be a #1 seed, but I think you see significant progress.

I've seen us get plenty of open shots off of sets. That's where I disagree with you. We just seem unable to convert.

yes, North Alabamie, your post is MEDIOCRE..

Mar 4, 2015, 7:45 AM

your thought process is MEDIOCRE...

your understanding of Clemson's basketball history is MEDIOCRE...

your knowledge of what it takes to build a program (not a team) is MEDIOCRE...

your grasp of the importance of the losses of KJ McDaniels and Brice Johnson is MEDIOCRE...

your failure to understand the plight of high school basketball in the State of South Carolina is MEDIOCRE...

your failure to adequately and dispassionately assess Brad Brownell is MEDIOCRE....

your incessant whining is MED.... well.... just truly pathetic.

Re: yes, North Alabamie, your post is MEDIOCRE..

Mar 4, 2015, 8:36 AM

Anyone that ISN'T questioning EVERYTHING about this mediocre program is a huge reason this team is so terrible! I am so tired of the CBB apologist pointing out every excuse as to why, why, why?? We need to wake up and expect more!!! Those people that don't give Jack Leggett the same benefit of the doubt and that made Chad Morris the brunt of a lot of vicious criticism need to ask themselves why not CBB? Do they feel Clemson doesn't deserve any better?

it isn't our expectations that are the problem with the team

Mar 4, 2015, 10:04 AM

In fact, in my view, fan's "expectations" often hurt the program.

Clemson's problem in basketball is purely and simply BRAND. In an age where the media exposure is everything, we have not yet turned the Brand for the long term. Go back to 1979 - with the advent of ESPN and the Magic/Bird era - we simply did not have any traction at all in basketball as a program that wasn't specifically related to being in the ACC. Little has changed over time that has been consistent, and I would argue that the short tenures of Rick Barnes and Oliver Purnell hurt the program more than it helped the program simply because there wasn't consistency in the BRAND.

If you want to understand how much Brand means in College Basketball, simply ask yourself how Kentucky can re-tool year after year. Seriously: what's the draw to Lexington? Media center? No. Good basketball conference? No. Facilities? Hail no (as Rupp Arena has been there forever). Geographical environment that attracts kids (a la Southern Cal, FSU, Georgetown). Hail no. Educational opportunities (a la Duke). Hail no.

Yet each year the Wildcats spit out 2-3 draft picks and pick up 3-4 McDonald's AA's if not more.

BRAND; nothing more.

Changing a coach hurts the Brand - staying the course with a winner at the helm is the only way to change the Brand over the long term.

did you just compare Clemson bball to the Magic/Bird era?

Mar 4, 2015, 10:20 AM

#####?

And UK turns out players b/c of Calipari. They didn't get them when Gillespie was there, so that shoots down that theory.

Nice try though

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

seriously York, you have a reading problem - you can't...

Mar 4, 2015, 7:00 PM

I suggested that when the media age boom occurred in College Basketball starting in the late 70's, Clemson's profile was low at the time, and remains low. In large part you'll find that is what has happened to most schools - their profiles remain the same as they were then. The haves got richer, the have nots continue to scramble for the left-overs.

As to Kentucky, they've won NCAA championships in the 40's, 50's, 70's, 90's, and recently in 2012. I don't think Calipari coached them in the 70's or the 90's. I am certain that you are right that Calipari's profile has something to do with their success, but then again Pitino did quite well there too. So did Hall and Rupp. In fact more coaches there have won Championships than not - seemingly only Gillespie and Eddie Sutton couldn't do it, underscoring how bad they were. In addition to their 8 titles, they've been runner-up 5 times, and to the Final Four another four times. Finally, Kentucky is the all-time leader in college basketball wins - having separated themselves from the UNC Cheats several years ago.

If you don't think that's BRAND, then I hope you're not in sales or marketing, cause it's gonna be a short career bucko.

Re: yes, North Alabamie, your post is MEDIOCRE..

Mar 4, 2015, 10:59 PM [ in reply to Re: yes, North Alabamie, your post is MEDIOCRE.. ]

The ACC has football schools and Basketball schools. Us and FSU are the football schools. Duke and UNC are the basketball schools. Duke and UNC suck in football and Us and FSU suck in basketball. Thats just the way it is. Probably will not change any time soon. When the basketball program begins generating the money the football program generates, it will be given the priority the football program is given. That will probably never happen.

w and l ARE not all that matter.***

Mar 4, 2015, 8:05 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic