Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Nobody should be disappointed with Clemson basketball.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1,702

Nobody should be disappointed with Clemson basketball.

Mar 3, 2015, 11:40 PM

Because we're usually not very good, I mean historically. Besides, someday we will be better. I mean we'll never be really good of course, but we can be pretty good. Maybe not next year, or the year after, because both of those will be tough. The key is to not expect too much, and don't expect it anytime soon. In the mean time, be happy about it!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

You know what makes me happy?

Mar 3, 2015, 11:43 PM

I'm gettin some Krispy Kreme in the a.m. I figure I'll wash an assorted half dozen down with some hazelnut coffee.

Also, we're awesome at football.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Mary Poppins cure

Mar 4, 2015, 8:25 AM

Just a spoonful of sugar......and in your case about 2 cups of sugar

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

And 4 cups of lard - and that's not a bad thing !***

Mar 4, 2015, 9:57 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Instead we just need to be happy with small improvements

Mar 3, 2015, 11:43 PM

...in OUR ATTITUDES as fans. ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Halftime Speech

Mar 4, 2015, 12:03 AM

Were you inside the locker room, because this sounds verbatim?

i say we have about 4 years before our expectations can

Mar 4, 2015, 3:34 AM

Go up.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My friend, the only disappointment that a man who fails to

Mar 4, 2015, 5:56 AM

demand and expect the best in any endeavor should be with himself.

Maybe, a whole lot of people, including me, should ask ourselves whether or not we have been willing to demand. I admit my failure. The question is are others who love and support Clemson willing to admit the same?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this is the General George S. Patton of all irrationalities.

Mar 4, 2015, 8:03 AM

let's see, I guess you're saying that the fan bases of the other 200+ Div 1 College Basketball schools aren't ...somehow...being demanding enough either because if they were then they'd all 200+ make the tournament?

That if we just demand more then somehow that'll distinguish us from the rest... somehow... to the point that we'll get more success?

That... somehow... "our" control over things is such that we as fans can demand that better players show up at our school?

People need to let the "control freak" reflex go just a little....

You make valid points, Epi, but I'm referring only to a

Mar 4, 2015, 8:34 AM

perceived willingness to accept a level of mediocrity as the norm, as relates to any endeavor.

The OP was commenting on Clemson's program. My point is that if we, as alumni and fans, believe our program to be beneath what we should produce, then perhaps we need to reflect on our own commitment to excellence. Only by doing so can we then question the university's commitment.

Lastly, it's not a matter of being a control freak. It's a matter of wanting what's best for the university, academically and athletically, and being willing to assist in its development.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes, and it's the perception that is wrong....

Mar 4, 2015, 9:52 AM

cases in point from Football:

Perception: Many on here have decried the fact that Clemson's football team has not had a good record in big games over the last few years (noting specifically that we'd lost to FSU and USuCk quite often). Pulling a Clemson, right?

Reality: Yet when one looks at the records - that is, the facts - and not just the perceptions, one finds that Clemson is somewhere between 10th and 15th nationally in its record against Ranked foes since Dabo Swinney took over (yep, all the way back to 2008 and including the losing record of 2009).

Perception: The best teams win consistently against Top foes in football.

Reality: When looking at wins and losses against Ranked foes over the period 2009-2014, only 3 of 120 D1 teams even had winning records (yes, greater than 50% wins) against their Ranked foes only. That'd be Alabama, Ohio State, and well, I forget the other. Alabama won 3 Natties in that time (3 out of 5 years), yet won less than 70% of their games against Top 15 foes during that span. Clemson's roughly 30% winning percentage was, again, good enough to make the Top 15 nationally.

Perception: Clemson has had a tough time establishing the run in the last couple of years and that is the reason we've not won more big games.

Reality: During the two years that FSU ran off 25+ wins in a row and won a Natty, their "Yards rushing per game" and "3rd down and < 3 conversion percentages" are both LESS than Clemson's. Apparently FSU found a way to win even so.

Suggested Lesson: perceptions are often not "reality", even when we treat them as such.

Another lesson: People can get on a Bulletin Board and repeat their perceptions as much as they like - it still doesn't make them realities.

Bon jour !***

Mar 4, 2015, 9:59 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nobody should be disappointed with Clemson basketball.

Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 AM

Your OP is exactly what is wrong with Clemson Basketball. Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed. Give CBB all of the benefit of the doubt for his 5 YEARS of a meaningless "rebuilding program", down play his failures, blame the crowd, the students and most of all, Littlejohn. All of this because some of you think we can't do any better. Thank God Dabo doesn't have the same attitude about his football team, not that these same fans that excuse CBB would give Dabo the same slack! Wake up, expect more and one day we will get it!

Bravo!***

Mar 4, 2015, 8:26 AM

What attitude exactly does BB have that

Mar 4, 2015, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Nobody should be disappointed with Clemson basketball. ]

"it's a good thing Dabo doesn't have"?

You are the most bipolar poster on here. You will agree with something, then contradict yourself in the next post.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: What attitude exactly does BB have that

Mar 4, 2015, 11:29 AM

Thanks, I appreciate your response. I'm honored to have the king of arrogance, sarcasm and smugness even acknowledge my crazy, bi-polar existence!

Good call. We will have a 2 or 3 year streak of being

Mar 4, 2015, 1:00 PM

good, then it goes to squat again. Has been that way ever since I've been following CU basketball. Love 'em, but I need to realize that is what we're going to get. We're due for a 2 or 3 season run (19-20 wins). Still cautiously optimistic that BB will get them closer next year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1,702
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic