Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Do any of you fellow old-timers remember the REAL VALLEY?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Do any of you fellow old-timers remember the REAL VALLEY?

Mar 1, 2015, 10:36 PM

The one where your ears split on every opponent's offensive play and rang on third down? Mornings you woke up on Sunday with a sore throat and couldn't be happier about it?

We've been close at times but are any of you ready to REALLY bring it back? Let's do it this year.

We got FSU and GT in 2015 and they need to pay.

Are you in?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Need a mic man on a platform to start.***

Mar 1, 2015, 10:40 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed!***

Mar 2, 2015, 12:33 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

I am old. I remember a lot.

Mar 2, 2015, 6:44 AM

I remember the ND game in Clemson back in 1977. We lead late but the Irish came back to beat us. The place was really loud.

I also recall games in 40,000 seat Death Valley when attendance was closer to 30,000 and the Hill was dead empty. Back about 69 or 70, 'hippie' Clemson students took to playing frisbee on the Hill during games and sometimes got more attention from the fans that the play on the field. Frank Howard got so mad at those students he had the Hill roped off, would not allow anyone to sit or cross the hill during games, and had the cops arrest a few students for breaking through the ropes and romping across the grass in protest.

In my view, Death Valley has mostly gotten better and louder through the years. I think the all time noise level was reached about a decade ago when South Carolina fumbled the opening kickoff and we recovered. It was LOUD on the kickoff, but it the noise went absolutely through the roof on the big hit and ensuing fumble recovery.

We've had some glory years, of course. I was lucky enough to be there for most of the big, memorable, loud wins and losses. I loved the big comeback years of 1977 and 78 when the Tigers reasserted themselves and took us all back to the world of bowls after 20 years of being on the sidelines. Loved the big win over Georgia in 1981, the 80s and our resurgence under Bowden and Rich Rod with Streeter at the helm.

That said, the current run of four years with ten plus wins, beating FSU, Auburn, VT, LSU, Ohio State and Oklahoma, and solidifying Clemson as a consistent top level program has been about as good as it has ever been. Spiller, Boyd, Sammy, Vic, Grady and Watson rank up there among the very best to ever play for the Tigers.

THESE ARE THE BEST DAYS IN THE HISTORY OF CLEMSON FOOTBALL.

Don't let them slip by you without savoring the moment.

Harley

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I am old. I remember a lot.

Mar 2, 2015, 6:52 AM

Post of the day Mr. Harley .
Plus +1 and a thank you .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: I am old. I remember a lot.

Mar 2, 2015, 7:25 AM

Great post! Right on mark.

when my son was growing up in The Valley he often turned

Mar 2, 2015, 8:08 AM [ in reply to I am old. I remember a lot. ]

to me and asked if this is how loud it was back in the day. I felt bad having to repeatedly shake my head no. We were playing Miami in 2005 when my son asked me once more if this is how it was back in the day and I finally got to tell him yes...yes this is how loud it used to be every Sat.! I miss the refs stopping the game and threatening us with a penalty for excessive noise.....that didn't help much..lol

Re: Agreed!***

Mar 2, 2015, 7:21 AM [ in reply to Agreed!*** ]

Cheerleaders are nothing but acrobats now. Need a head cheerleader on platform in front of students whipping up the crowd.

Re: Do any of you fellow old-timers remember the REAL VALLEY?

Mar 1, 2015, 11:17 PM

The loudest home game I ever remember was Notre Dame. We have Notre Dame at home for the second time ever - THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Mar 2, 2015, 7:23 AM

Will never forget beating UGA and GT back to back in 74....those were the days....the ND game was load, and we should have won that one... but the 76 game where we beat the crap out of the cluckers, 28-9.....that is the loudest I can remember....no question and when Red called a time out at the end of the game to try a field goal to run up the score; if we would have hit it, the goal posts would have come down...I hate to say it, but either it was more fun back then or age changes things and perspective for us

I loved the Valley of my days in the 60's; I adore the

Mar 2, 2015, 8:19 AM

Valley of today.

We never imagined a stadium filled with 80,000+ strong...or skrong, as others are wont to say...but the DV of today rocks, and I hope to live long enough to see 100,000+ standing, waving, jumping and screaming our Tigers on to victory. That day is coming...not tomorrow, but soon enough...and the DV 50 years from now will astound the TNet young folks.

GO TIGERS!!!! STOMP EVERYBODY!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 2, 2015, 8:51 AM

Well if you have been to any games the last 4 yrs I think you would see it's as loud as when Ford was here.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic