Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If you don't think we run a bunch of sets on offense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,557

If you don't think we run a bunch of sets on offense

Mar 1, 2015, 9:31 PM

then you need to lay off talking basketball for a while. What we don't run is a lot of quick hitters. You want to see how to run quick hitters? Watch UNC. They run stuff and try to get a quick look very early in the shot clock.

We run sets that move the defense and create matchup problems. Our sets make the defense make decisions about whether or not to help on Nnoko, etc...

Do we convert? Mostly not. Do we run them? Absolutely.

We are not UNC running a secondary break. We don't have the horses.

Keep BB, Fire BB, Great coach, Poor Coach.... whatever...

but you're a moran if you don't think we run a ton of sets

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

We probably run more sets than any team in the ACC

Mar 1, 2015, 9:35 PM

But do we run a press break? I don't think we do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

We run fewer sets that work than any team in the ACC

Mar 1, 2015, 10:25 PM

So what does that say about CBB? Runs more sets than any other team, but they work less than any other team.

To me, that says CBB is trying to limit possessions

Mar 2, 2015, 7:02 AM

Unfortunately the players don't convert the possessions we have often enough.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Limiting possessions is irrelevant.

Mar 2, 2015, 12:05 PM

We are the worst per possession offense in the ACC

Re: We run fewer sets that work than any team in the ACC

Mar 2, 2015, 7:19 AM [ in reply to We run fewer sets that work than any team in the ACC ]

Yes we may run fewer sets.

Why?

BC we are a below average offensive team.
One of out "best" shooters is at best average when compared to the rest of the ACC.
Our point guard is not good in terms of offense.
Our back up center has no offensive game.
The other back up center is improving but is at best seen as average offensively.
Our starting center is at best average offensively and has no 10-12 ft jumper...as compared to peers across ACC.
We have two semi-consistent offensive players and one is a true freshmen who is at this time average at shooting threes. The other is best inside and via athleticism. He is an average shooter.
Our best shooter is height challenged and streaky this year, not consistent.
Our off the bench guards are below average offensively and very inconsistent this year. One is a true freshmen who is lost.

So why do Clemson fans think we should score? We not only do not have horses for running, we also do not have the talent to score... Consistently.

Recruiting is Coach BB's biggest and singular problem. That is what he has to improve in the next three years to keep job.

The extension made sense.... This year fine, next year team has no home = recruiting is handicap, 2017 he gets to SELL SELL SELLL facilities. So 2018... rolls as the year of Coach BB.

What will be going on in terms of recruiting at that time will determine the fate?

This is comical

Mar 1, 2015, 10:09 PM

Clemson's offense does like to run through Nnoko with a type of 4-out 1-in. That's a huge part of our base offense though and not really a set play.

Beyond this, I am baffled by saying we run tons of set plays. That's on the same level as saying every play is a set play. Count the number of off the ball screens and the number of times we have guys just standing around the perimeter.

When we go on scoring droughts, our offense starts lacking motion. We do not run set plays (unless after a time out) and when we finally do, we have missed a lot of offensive opportunity. On the positive side, the defense does increase the intensity (which CBB is great at bringing).

I criticize the lack of set plays because I don't see them when we need them. In general though, I feel we need to attack with more movement to create mismatches. When the chips are down, we attack the rim with Rod and then tip drill the follow. That isn't a set play, that's a strategy that has worked.

Re: This is comical

Mar 1, 2015, 10:25 PM

The best teams don't run sets over and over again. Eventually those get snuffed out, thanks to this new thing called film study.

Two years ago, when we basically had Devin Booker and everyone else, all we ever ran was sets. Specific sets make it easier for a big man to get the ball, and that's pretty much all we could do. He needed to touch it because our next best option simply wasn't very good at the time.

Now, we have better options than just a big man inside. A motion or continuously moving offense gives the players outside of the 5 a better chance to make plays. That's what we do.

Exactly

Mar 1, 2015, 11:03 PM

Well said. Set plays are not intended to be ran over and over, but are there to get you out of a funk and/or a quick basket.

Right

Mar 2, 2015, 7:00 AM [ in reply to Re: This is comical ]

Except Duke runs continuous sets. So does UVA. I would say they are 2 of the best teams in the country, wouldn't you?

please do not use valid examples

Mar 2, 2015, 12:09 PM

cause that would make those other two poasters wrong!

;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Re: Right

Mar 2, 2015, 12:40 PM [ in reply to Right ]

UVA runs motion. They don't just run sets.

Just take the ball to the hoop, look for the open man

Mar 1, 2015, 11:20 PM

shoot and box out .... that's what you do 90% of the time, no need for all the gimmicks

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think we just found our new head coach

Mar 2, 2015, 7:10 AM

Sign him up boys.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

I really hope you're being sarcastic***

Mar 2, 2015, 7:35 AM [ in reply to Just take the ball to the hoop, look for the open man ]

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,557
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic