Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Brownell: "We have to figure out some ways to score"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

New Story: Brownell: "We have to figure out some ways to score"

Feb 23, 2015, 4:01 PM

Brownell: "We have to figure out some ways to score"

The Clemson basketball team has the rest of this week to prepare for Saturday's home game against Georgia Tech. The Tigers have lost four of their last five and offensive production has been a major issue for Brad Brownell's squad. How will they spend the week? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Genius!!! Wow, I see why he makes the big bucks...

Feb 23, 2015, 4:06 PM

gotta score more points....BRILLIANT!!!

we've been holding that one in secret....

Feb 23, 2015, 4:08 PM

GONNA SHOCK THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

More insight

Feb 23, 2015, 4:09 PM

Brownell, more points really... you think?

LOL
All kidding aside,
I think we play too slow as well. The team needs to figure out how to play faster, and for
me. It starts at the point.

While I understand your point

Feb 23, 2015, 4:17 PM

We don't have guys that can finish at the rim. I feel like we should try to run periodically but the few times I've seen us try, we are horrible at attacking the basket. Rod, Roper, Grantham are very poor at finishing; B-game is solid but not much else.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ironically, WE were talking about this earlier in the day ..

Feb 23, 2015, 4:11 PM

See this thread, my deep comments

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1443737&tstart=0

thread lead comment started ...

"It's not Rocket Science, there is no magic "X and O" ...

Everybody shoot ONE THOUSAND shots a day, every day ... of ALL TYPES ... from all points on the floor

Its a "Muscle Memory" thing ....

We miss WAY too many what should be easy, high percentage shots ...

Do this, and these types of shots will be automatic

Its that simple

Here is a definition of "Muscle Memory" for those who don't know what this is ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_memory "

Message was edited by: OhWiseOne®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If it were that simple all NBA players would be good

Feb 23, 2015, 6:19 PM

shooters and everyone would make 80% + FTs. As it turns out, it's not really that simple. Some guys shoot 45% from 3 and some can't even shoot 45% from the FT line. You think Shaq didn't practice FTs when he was shooting 15-20 of them per game?

That's not entirely true, it is not JUST muscle memory.

Feb 23, 2015, 11:09 PM [ in reply to Ironically, WE were talking about this earlier in the day .. ]

If your technique is poor when you practice your shooting, you won't get the desired results. This is really obvious when watching our free throw shooting...not bending their knees, shooting it too flat, not a good follow through. The old saying is, "practice makes perfect", but it really should be, "perfect practice makes perfect".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is no magic fix to what ails this team

Feb 24, 2015, 1:28 AM

We just don't have many good basketball players. To the ones wanting to see them "speed up," why? When you shoot as bad as this team does you wanna slow it down and give the opponent as few possessions as possible. When they have tried speeding up turnovers have increased dramatically. The only fix there is, is better talent. I don't envy anyone whose trying to recruit talent for Clemson hoops.

I don't see why its so hard to recuit to Clemson ....

Feb 24, 2015, 9:45 AM

Its not like Clemson is "deep South" with Confederate Battle Flags lining Tiger Blvd ... Its actually more Suburban then rural now, not too far from Atlanta, Charlotte ... Greenville is Happ'nin ... is it the archaic alcohol laws of Pickens County? Of South Carolina in general ?

Maybe its time the State and County Legislators recognize the 21st Century and permit beer sales on Sunday and legalize MJ ? That will really pack 'em in ! (recruits)

As for Sunday beer drink'in .... if your Catholic, and its Lent, and you have given up beer for Lent, Sunday is the ONLY day you are allowed to partake in your Lenten sacrifice, since Sunday is NOT counted as an official day of the Lenten season.

http://christianity.about.com/od/holidaytips/qt/whatislent.htm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who Is The Coach On The Team That Teaches "Mechanics ...

Feb 24, 2015, 9:31 AM [ in reply to That's not entirely true, it is not JUST muscle memory. ]

Of Shooting"? Technique ?

That's what she said.***

Feb 23, 2015, 4:19 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Curious....what do you want him to say to the same

Feb 23, 2015, 4:57 PM

questions he's asked every week? Its not as if the personnel on the team has changed .....the talent level hasn't increased or decreased.

And as much as some want to point with derision to one statement taken out of an interview, I can guarantee you he's equally as tired of having to repeat it.

All we can do is cheer for the guys to have one of those rare days when the shots are dropping and hope help is on the way.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Little late in the year to realize you have shooting problem

Feb 23, 2015, 5:30 PM

and need to be in the gym working on better fundamentals and getting in shooting practice. And why not mix up the lineup and give Devoe, Ajukwa, or anyone else more minutes. Might as well start getting those guys more time on the floor going into next season because what happens the rest of this year no longer matters.

Last in nearly every offensive category....

Feb 23, 2015, 5:32 PM

is this part of the master plan?

I've said it before and I will say it again....

Feb 23, 2015, 5:34 PM

Hit some free throws. You are fifteen feet away from the basket, shooting for a point uncontested, with absolutely no one in your face. Make some shots. My wife and I live in Raleigh and have season tix to NCState women's basketball. It was a thing of beauty yesterday to watch the ladies beat Duke by 13. It turns out the little team, out rebounded by 17 rebounds is 16th in the country hitting free throws. Do some unusual and teach those scholarship players the basics, hit your freethrows!

Re: I've said it before and I will say it again....

Feb 23, 2015, 7:07 PM

Good shooters make fts. We have a few good shooters but are they the ones getting fouled? A lot of it has to do with WHO goes to the line.

Feb 24, 2015, 10:43 AM

Why not recruit good shooters and not these 2* guys who can't shoot.

Is it that hard to watch these kids and to see if they can or can't shoot.

There is one kid in Greenville this year, a senior, who is averaging about 40 points a game and he can actually shot the #### ball very well. I'll bet he doesn't even get a visit to Clemson or a workout to see what he can do.

BB can turn Clemson around but he'll do it by recruiting guards who can shoot the ball and who can control the ball when he's under pressure or full court pressure. We don't have guards who can do either very well right now.

It all comes back to recruiting something that BB has not do a very good job of since he's been here.

Feb 24, 2015, 11:28 AM [ in reply to Re: I've said it before and I will say it again.... ]

This simply is not true in all cases. KC Rivers was one of our best pure shooters in the last 10 years, and most of the time didn't crack 65% from the line. Cliff Hammonds, another example. From this year, Grantham is a good shooter who will continue to improve, but he is not a good FT shooter by any means.

Feb 26, 2015, 11:59 PM [ in reply to I've said it before and I will say it again.... ]

In 2014 "Clemson led the ACC in free throw percentage(.744) for the first time in league history."
http://raycomsports.com/sports_labs_docs/m-baskbl/2013-14_m-baskbl_release.pdf

Re: New Story: Brownell: "We have to figure out some ways to score"

Feb 23, 2015, 7:13 PM

Duh....peanut butter. ??

Serious inputs to score more points and improve program

Feb 23, 2015, 7:56 PM

1) Hire an OC who understands much more about Offense than our HC to coach new system next year

2) Recruit better players from both Europe and Jr Colleges

3) Hire top Calipari assistant. Become a one and done program at Clemson

4) Hire top Pitino, Tony Bennett, Fred Hoiberg, Gregg Marshall or Shaka Smart assistant as our next HC when Brownell's contract is bought out

5) Attend Coach K coaching and recruiting clinic - learn more effective offensive drills & strategies

6) Completely reinvent Offensive System in 2016 by pulling a Coach Chad of 10 yrs ago and finding/learning from a High School Guru like Mahlzann

7) Hire said High School Basketball Coach from Oak Hill Academy, Montverde Academy, Dematha, Cape Henry Collegiate. Pay him college money. Recruits follow.

Ya Think?***

Feb 23, 2015, 8:00 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Feb 23, 2015, 8:44 PM

Captain Obvious says better players = more scoring

hope he figures it out***

Feb 23, 2015, 9:02 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ya think?***

Feb 23, 2015, 9:51 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 23, 2015, 10:10 PM

We simply have alot of players with low offensive skills. They can't create their own shots. Can't make the open shots they get. No playmaking skills. Hopefully players develop and recruiting improves.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 23, 2015, 10:11 PM

I see promise in DeVoe.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 23, 2015, 10:14 PM

Ajukwa too.

Now that's what I call pacing yourself. Five years into the

Feb 23, 2015, 10:25 PM

program and "we have to figure out some ways to score" is the headline quote.

No "chit" Sherlock !***

Feb 23, 2015, 11:07 PM

Heard that's why OP left, he had figured out new ways to

Feb 24, 2015, 9:57 AM

score

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic