Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Commentary: Clemson, SC blew it on Dorman star
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Commentary: Clemson, SC blew it on Dorman star

Feb 5, 2015, 10:47 PM

Anybody see this guy play in person? Did we miss the boat?

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20150205/ARTICLES/150209765

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Commentary: Clemson, SC blew it on Dorman star

Feb 5, 2015, 10:54 PM

Is he better than the three WR we signed instead of him? Two of them no way, the third I don't know, but the coaches think so. I'm sure Jeff Scott saw him several times and felt we had better players.

Re: Coaches said that they would not write stories for the

Feb 6, 2015, 7:14 PM

Healed if he would stay out of their recruiting.

All 4 major sources had him as a 3 star

He would have been the 4th best receiver in this class. We didn't miss anything here.

I think that is an unfair article seeing that Clemson just had higher rated WR's and not enough schollies

So, we were gonna pass on Deon, Ray Ray, or Shadell ....

Feb 5, 2015, 10:56 PM

I don't think so.

I watched his HUDL film

Feb 5, 2015, 11:04 PM

And he seems pretty special. But, if your taking three wide outs you are pretty limited. You have Cain and McCloud, which are no brainers. Then you have a toss up between Whiteside and Bell. At this point, I think we can trust the coaches to make the right call for our system. As for the lower state crowd, who knows. But if anyone is interested, here is the link for Whitesides film.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1022129/highlights/69732375

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I watched his HUDL film

Feb 5, 2015, 11:22 PM

not a bad looking receiver...I trust our recruiting staff though and highlight films don't tell all the tape...best of luck to him though

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His senior video is better

Feb 6, 2015, 12:03 AM [ in reply to I watched his HUDL film ]

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1022129/highlights/161715380

He looks better than Shadell Bell

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: His senior video is better

Feb 6, 2015, 12:28 AM

I was never impressed with what I saw from Bell's film. I figured there had to be a better WR out there, but I trust the staff is confident in their evaluation. I know we were out of it pretty quick with Whiteside. Was that is, him, or a mutual thing?

Feb 6, 2015, 12:34 AM

I actually don't know much about him. Not much has been said about him. I think he committed to Stanford a while ago.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Feb 6, 2015, 12:36 AM

Just finished reading the OP's article. Seemed obvious the writer penned this piece to sensationalize things a bit. It's hard to tell what happened. Oh well, we can't sign them all. Wish him well for the tree.

He wanted a CU offer tremendously bad..***

Feb 6, 2015, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Re: His senior video is better ]

Feb 6, 2015, 12:36 AM [ in reply to Re: His senior video is better ]

I think he would've jumped on a Clemson offer.

Feb 6, 2015, 12:38 AM

Bell was one of our earliest commits if memory serves me. I think knowing we had good shots with Ray Ray and Cain it tied the staff's hands going forward regarding receivers. All that also played out before we knew we really knew we would be without Priester and Kitt. Tough situation. Hope he does well out in Cali.

Feb 6, 2015, 12:42 AM

Yeah Bell jumped on that offer early. Which was very smart, if he waited a few more months it probably wouldn't have been committable any more.

Crazy thing is SCar offered Bell 2 mths before signing day

Feb 6, 2015, 12:44 AM

By that point Arcega was committed to Stanford as well.

no way is this kid better than either

Feb 6, 2015, 12:29 AM [ in reply to His senior video is better ]

Of our WRs we signed.. And in fact one important fact not mentioned is that this kid had offers....
Maybe not CU... Or Stubborn Spurlid...advisors... Parents... Coaches if they move that signing day to Dec?.. You better commit before your senior season!...sometimes the voice of reason IS actually the person knocking on your door... Take that offer or walk on somewhere!!!... Everyone needs to research JJ Watt story!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shadell Bell Hudl

Feb 6, 2015, 12:36 AM

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1447674/highlights/17040374

Bell looks slower. Big possession receiver who can block. Maybe that's what the coaches wanted? But as a pure WR, Arcega looks better.

Feb 5, 2015, 11:27 PM

I would like to think the concern is based on SC talent having to look elsewhere because it is overlooked here. As for us, we had better offers and took them. As for USC, I dont know. Fact is, they had a top 25 recruiting class which, if our memory isnt too short, once seemed not so very bad - could they have used him?

absolutely whiffed on him IMO. hes a offer all day long*******

Feb 5, 2015, 11:30 PM

You know what man you're totally right

Feb 6, 2015, 12:00 AM

It's safe to assume our coaches who have pulled the best players from Massachussets, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Virginia, etc would intentionally refuse I offer a kid 45 minutes from campus.

Yeah, that's it.

Re: They probably know as much about kids in the Sptbg. area

Feb 6, 2015, 7:18 PM

as anyone.

Feb 6, 2015, 12:02 AM

I watched him twice, hes a beast but im not sure he deserved to signed over any of the three we signed.

I MIGHT take him over Bell, MIGHT.***

Feb 6, 2015, 12:33 AM

Perhaps

Feb 6, 2015, 12:58 AM

it's just a case of higher rated players on the coach's recruiting board and not enough slots. Got to trust the coaches on this one.

Kid is going to Stanford. We did him a favor.***

Feb 6, 2015, 7:43 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2015, 8:00 AM

Bell is more explosive than whiteside. Sorry but wr like Whiteside are a dime a dozen at this level. He is a good wr at a huge program. He lacks speed and isn't explosive. Bell is a touch faster and is more of a quick twitch player. Remember bell did have a big senior year because he hot hurt. He would have finished a 4 star in every service if he hadnt.

Feb 6, 2015, 8:11 AM

Probably no longer have any relevance on this board but JJ is a really cool guy. He's a fantastic receiver and he's really smart.Super nice all the time as well. Got a great head on his shoulders. He'll do well at stanford. Great basketball player too. He knows how to get up and get the football. I've watched him snag some nasty ones. I think he should have been offered over bell

I'm not feeling too bad for a guy who is going to Stanford!****

Feb 6, 2015, 12:55 PM

Feb 6, 2015, 1:17 PM

Since he's going to Stanford, maybe he put a stress on academics and therefore Clemson & SC never had a chance.

Feb 6, 2015, 3:45 PM

> Since he's going to Stanford, maybe he put a stress
> on academics and therefore Clemson & SC never had a
> chance.

The thing is, Bell was a camp kid. Whiteside was a camp kid. The coaches literally had an apples-to-apples comparison. Normally I'd be leery when you pass on a local high-end-3-star to take another high-end-3-star, especially when the local kid's film is better (and it does look a bit better), but again, when you're literally looking at both players on the same field, you're probably going to make the right decision 95 times out of 100.

Best guess is Whiteside was just a hair under the offer threshold. Which is saying something, because Clemson would have been all over this kid even 3-4 years ago.

But Clemson doesn't take 3-star-rated WR's anymore. If the coaches took Bell, it's because the coaches, anyhow, don't think he's a 3-star.

Be worth keeping an eye on. And it definitely is hard to feel bad for a kid who wound up at Stanford.

Pffft... have they seen our class? We can't take everyone.***

Feb 6, 2015, 7:16 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We could not get all of that hyphenated last name

Feb 6, 2015, 7:32 PM

( Arcega-Whiteside ) on the back of a jersey.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic