Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Marshawn Lynch Beast Mode Pop Up Shop at SB
Other Sports Boards - The Pro Zone
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Marshawn Lynch Beast Mode Pop Up Shop at SB

Jan 30, 2015, 3:56 PM

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Landon Douglass really wanted the hat he saw Marshawn Lynch wearing at media day.

So at 3 p.m., on Thursday afternoon, he convinced his mother to make the 25-minute trek from Tempe to Scottsdale. But when they arrived at the Beast Mode Pop Up Shop located inside a cold-pressed juice store, the hats were all gone.

Three straight days of wearing the "MB" logo hat while talking to media gathered to cover the Super Bowl had taken its toll: Douglass, 14, had no chance.

His mom, Mindy, asked him if he wanted something else. "No, just the hat," he says, pouting, not even noticing the table of share size Skittles left out on the table for customers to eat.

Lynch might be a man of few words, but he certainly doesn't lack business savvy.

Seahawks fans filled with a desire for everything green and blue and "12th Man" now have something else to fill their closets with in Lynch's new clothing line. He owns four trademarks to the word "Beast Mode" and have filed three more.

In a one-and-a-half-hour period Thursday, about 60 people walked into the juice bar and made an immediate right to the back where clothing with Lynch's trademark phrase was displayed.

There was James Moquin, a firefighter from Renton, Washington, who came to the shop after his 26-year-old son Mitch texted him details he saw on Facebook. He walked away with a Beast Mode hoodie in green and blue for $58.

And there was Kevin Glidden, who was relieved to get one of the final seven hats remaining Wednesday. He was back in again, buying a Beast Mode sweatshirt for his wife.

In not answering questions by the media this week, Lynch has drawn even more attention to himself. And he's profited off his tact.

A video of him answering silly questions from his sponsor Skittles garnered more than 3.3 million views on YouTube, and a new Progressive spot making fun of his disdain for interviews just debuted.

More than 1,000 hats sold out between the brand's online store and the temporary Scottsdale shop, where he was also selling a shirt that said "About that action BOSS."

It's the line Lynch told NFL Network's Deion Sanders at last year's media day when he hid from the press. Lynch's team, of course, trademarked that phrase, too.

Even though Lynch has walked off the podium when his required time with the media has elapsed, recap after recap has given his "MB" major air time. In fact, sponsorship valuation company Front Row Analytics calculate that Lynch has received $2.6 million in equivalent advertising time from the logo on his hat over the past three days.

It's unknown whether promoting his own brand during Super Bowl media availability will result in a fine from the NFL.

Sources told ESPN on Wednesday that the league would review whether Lynch deserves to get fined for wearing his own logo, which was designed by his graphic designer friend Tommy Heinz.

Lynch's Beast Mode clothing line is in its infancy, but it has the makings of a legitimate operation.

The business is a partnership between Lynch and the agency that represents him, Relativity Sports. Chris Bevans, a former Nike apparel designer, runs the label, which currently has about 25 different products.

"If we do this right, Beast Mode could be doing $50 million in sales within the next five years," said Bevans, who insists Lynch has already received calls from big players in the apparel space who offered to run the business.

They certainly spend a lot of time protecting what they have.

Devin Lacerte, who works hand in hand with a trademark attorney, said that the brand has sent out hundreds of cease and desist letters for anyone who tries to sell Beast Mode without their permission.

As Mindy and Landon Douglass leave the store to begin their trip back to Tempe, the two start discussing Lynch and his decision not to speak when the cameras come on.

"He's making all this money, he should talk to the media," Mindy says.

Landon, of course, backs Lynch.

Said Landon: "I thought it was classic."

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=12250612&src=desktop&wjb

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Marshawn Lynch Beast Mode Pop Up Shop at SB

Jan 30, 2015, 4:14 PM

I can't put my finger on why Lynch's antics don't bother me. I'm not normally a proponent of the "me, me, me" mentality of sports, but his refusal to talk to the media and promoting his own brand just isn't offputting to me at all. And I'm not a Seahawks fan (Broncos fan, actually :( )

Maybe it's because I grew up wanting to work in media and had a stint in journalism and don't necessarily appreciate the turn the industry has been taking for some time now. In some way, I don't blame him for not wanting to interact with people who would jump at the chance to ruin his public image.

Maybe it's because I love that the NFL doesn't have as much bargaining power as it thinks it has. They can fine him, but his team can't "fire" him from what I'm gathering (wouldn't they have done so by now given the pattern of the insubordination?). This fact much to the dismay of the "your boss says do it, do it" crowd. (A side note on that: if you're doing everything your boss tells you to without questioning it, that's called a "job" and not a "career").

Maybe I just feel like one day...when I've "made it" (as Lynch clearly has)...I don't want someone thinking they can control me just because of some vague notion of "responsibility" tucked away in some insignificant contract clause.

Fun to watch unfold nonetheless.

Jan 30, 2015, 4:18 PM

I like what he is doing . Will buy a about that action boss shirt

i love the guy

Jan 30, 2015, 4:20 PM

Best RB in the game, great teammate and an iron pair of gonads....there is an element of truth in everything he says and does and not a fake drop of DNA in that dude.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 30, 2015, 4:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Marshawn Lynch Beast Mode Pop Up Shop at SB ]

'Maybe I just feel like one day...when I've "made it" (as Lynch clearly has)...I don't want someone thinking they can control me just because of some vague notion of "responsibility" tucked away in some insignificant contract clause.'

This is indeed why it doesn't bother me Boss....at least not in the short term while my firm goes through a restructuring.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like it. And I think his press conferences are hilarious.***

Jan 30, 2015, 4:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Marshawn Lynch Beast Mode Pop Up Shop at SB ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Jan 30, 2015, 5:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Marshawn Lynch Beast Mode Pop Up Shop at SB ]

I love it. And I think it's awesome that he stands up to the nfl who says they have to make their selves available to the media. Cause I totally get the, "I play football for a living, that's what I do and that's all I want to do". Cause I'm not a people person myself, I don't care to talk to strangers if I don't have to. It's awkward and I feel uncomfortable doing it. So I completely understand not wanting to talk to a bunch of people asking a bunch of questions. They know he doesn't like doing it, even though they don't stop, so I guess at this point he figures he can make some $ off of it.

It's fun watching him troll the NFL

Jan 30, 2015, 4:35 PM

and the useless sports "reporters" incapable of writing a story without falling back on generic boilerplate quotes from athletes and coaches.

He's an intelligent guy, and seems down-to-earth without any fake humility. I'll pass on the Beast Mode hat, but I'm a fan.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the amount he has put back out here into Oakland

Jan 30, 2015, 4:47 PM

Is amazing. He has free camps through the summer and is beloved out here.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 30, 2015, 5:37 PM

I can tell exactly why I agree with how Lynch handles the press. When I get off work the last thing I'd want is a bunch of strangers throwing mics in my face asking me the same stupid questions over and over. I firmly believe that if he doesn't want to speak to them than he has every right to not to. His responses are perfect.

None of it bothers me

Jan 30, 2015, 5:49 PM

But to be fair, part of his job is to be in front of the press.

I don't care how he or the NFL handles it, but I can see the NFL's side on this one. They are a huge money-printing organization and a bunch of that (including a bunch of his salary) comes from interaction with (and exploitation of) the media.

Now we've reached the point of absurd media saturation where players are answering inane and idiotic questions that would drive any sane person crazy, so I can certainly understand Lynch's reaction here.

In the end I don't much care how any of them handle it. He's a great player who has proven time and again that his value on the field trumps any of the "I don't want to talk to the press" sentiments of the NFL, and he'll just keep getting fined and smile all the way to the bank as he revels in his rebel image.

And more power to him for it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It would only be funnier if he answered all questions

Jan 30, 2015, 5:58 PM

with different and various quotes form sone lyrics.

I do think its stupid that they force some players do the media sessions.

null

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Other Sports Boards - The Pro Zone
add New Topic
Topics: Previous | Next