Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2016 WR Board
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

2016 WR Board

Jan 29, 2015, 2:30 PM

Now that we're WRU it seems like these spots fill up quickly and before the avalanche comes I need some help seeing who are most likely to fill the spots.

Cornell Powell, I just read where he already has his mind made up and will mostly commit this weekend at Junior Day with his mother on hand. Won Army Bowl Combine MVP which is pretty darn impressive. I really like what we may be getting in this kid. Very solid WR.

Diondre Overton, probably my favorite of 2016. His upside is out of this stratosphere. 6'5-'6'6 and still learning the position. He could be our counter for FSU getting George Campbell and could develop into our own Kelvin Benjamin, the "Go up and get it" guy (ask Darius Robinson). I have no idea how this kid is unranked but it's starting to look like the other big boys are about to start moving in.

Mecole Hardman, Tyshon Dye's little cousin but is a big UT lean. I have no idea what we're recruiting him as most of time you see ATH but 247 has him as a CB. I'd just like to put the ball in his hands and watch him burn. I really want him in orange and purple.

Bryan Edwards, it seems like we've cooled on him. People were saying he could be the next Shaq Roland when he was a freshman in high school but it seems like the talent has caught up to him. Clemson legacy (grandfather) and I'm pretty sure his sister is a student at Clemson right now. He chose South Carolina's Junior Day over ours which was kind of disappointing.

Divine Deablo, we were once the favorite and now it seems like we've cooled on him as well. He's a special athlete, any reason why our momentum stopped? I know we can only recruit so many 6'3 or taller WR's and it looks like Overton is the one Dabo has zeroed in on.

Tavares Chase, at IMG Academy (which has become Florida State High School). We have the momentum going into Junior Day but it's going to be an all out brawl with FSU IMO.

Eddie McDoom, we were once the favorite but it seems like we've cooled on him. His film is very impressive for a three star (247 Sports).

Nate Craig-Meyers, Auburn commit but hasn't shut it down by any means. He played on the same 7 on 7 team as Deon Cain and Ray Ray McCloud. I'd like to think that we would at least get a Summer Camp or unofficial sometime in the next year. Probably an outside chance.

Did I miss anyone?

Anyone know how many we might be taking? With Priester and Kitt gone that opens up more spots. After this year we likely lose Mike Williams as well as Peake to graduation. This leaves 6 WR's SR Hopper, JR Scott, RS SOPH Thompson, SOPH Cain, SOPH McCloud, and RS FROSH Bell. In a perfect (realistic) world I'd take Overton (big body), Powell (possession), and Hardman (speed).

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2016 WR Board

Jan 29, 2015, 2:44 PM

I have no ideal were everyone is getting Hardman is a big ten lean. I have seen nothing but tenn people saying he is. They say everyone that visits them is a lean.

Jan 29, 2015, 2:55 PM

Don't think we see Hardman here. Likely bringing in a class of Powell, Overton, and Chase.

Jan 29, 2015, 2:57 PM [ in reply to Re: 2016 WR Board ]

247 has him as 80% Tenn and 20% UGA. Special relationship with Butch from what he puts on social media.

Jan 29, 2015, 3:53 PM

You can't go by that ball. Look who picks. It's the mods from the school. Tenns mods pick then for any prospect that visits. Look at Wilkins 247 not one mod picked clemson.

I'm still shocked we got Wilkins

Jan 29, 2015, 8:30 PM

I thought he just gave us an OV to be nice but I've never been so glad to be wrong. Props to Venables and Chad Smith! Big signing!

But it's early, I hope Dye being his cousin helps us more but I think it's pretty clear Tennessee is the favorite right now imo.

Jan 29, 2015, 3:57 PM [ in reply to Re: 2016 WR Board ]

Go back and look who pick him to go to UT. 3 UT mods 1 Vandy mod (who probably gets his information from the other) that information is useless and I just think it's crazy that people use that like it's fact that a kid is leaning one way.

deablo isn't at clemsons standard for WR***

Jan 29, 2015, 3:00 PM

Just from a name standpoint

Jan 29, 2015, 3:31 PM

Deablo and McDoom are pretty hard to beat.

Here's the 2016 WR Board....

Jan 29, 2015, 4:07 PM

WR/DB- Mecole Hardman 5'11 175 4* (likely 5*) #3 ATH, 33 overall as per ESPN Elberton, GA Recently participated in Georgia's Junior All Star Game and caught 5 passes for 128 yards and a TD. Stopped by for an unofficial visit recently (January 2015). Attended the Dabo Swinney camp and was by far the fastest player on the day. Hardman is widely known for his elite speed and has clocked a 4.37 40 time. According the HUDL.com, has a 37.5" vertical, 275 bench, and a 385 squat. Was on campus for the Syracuse and scar game. Considered a UT lean with UGA and CU as the top three unofficially. http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1626590/mecole-hardman
My Opinion: He's going to Tennessee unless UGA pushes hard. As of now, it appears unlikely that he'll choose us but ya never know.

WR- Binjimen Victor 6-4 180 4* Coconut Creek, FL #9 WR by 24/7. #27 WR by Rivals and #132 overall. In 2014, had 44 catches for 811 yds with 12 TDs. 4.58 40 time. Being recruited by Brent Venables. Camped at Aub and Bama. Has offers from most majors. Nominated for the US Army Bowl. Has an on again, off again commit relationship with Miami. From Larry Blustein, "Having watched him a number of times, this is one of those talented prospects who stretches the field and runs very good patterns. His quickness and improving skill level will make him one of the players to keep an eye on for years to come.''
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8rdhkL9f0c
My Take: I think he stays in the state of Florida unless he has a change of heart and picks a school from Alabama.

WR- Bryan Edwards 6-3 205 Conway, SC 4* #25 WR, #144 overall by Yahoo. ESPN Top 300, 80 grade, #39 WR, #3 in SC, and #197 overall. 24/7 Composite #58 WR, #7 in SC, and #322 overall. As a soph, 17 recs, 225 yds, 9 TDs, 36 tks, 2 FR, 7 PBUs. Said this in December of 2014, "Top of my list would be Clemson," Edwards said. "Then it's USC and Florida. I'm still pretty wide open." Edwards' grandfather played for Clemson and his sister is a student there." Recently visited for the scar game. Offered in December of 12'. Visited for Junior day and SC State game. Has offers from CU, scar, Wake, VT, UNC, Fla, and Duke. Being recruited by Danny Pearman and Jeff Scott. http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1618858/bryan-edwards
My Opinion: Don't be bothered by the fact that he's attending scar's Junior Day. He's been here on campus plenty of times and could just be seeing what they have to offer. I believe it's between us and him with some other schools pushing hard late in the process.

WR- TJ (Tavares) Chase 6-1 175 Plant City, FL IMG Academy 4* #13 WR, #79 nationally by Rivals. 24/7 #32 WR, #137 overall. In 2014 has 25 catches for 521 yds and 5 scores. One of the top performers at the Valdosta MVP Camp. Does well in the classroom with a solid GPA. Nike Sparq verified 4.60 40, 26.5" vertical, 185 bench, and 225 squat. Attended the 2014 Clemson vs scar game. Considered a FSU lean, has camped there and visited unofficially twice. Has offers from CU, FSU, Aub, Fla, UGA, and others.
Film: http://sports.yahoo.com/video/rivals-spotlight-t-j-chase-180300273.html
My Take: He likes our campus and has been here a lot. He likes our staff. I think it's safe to say we're definitely in the mix for his services but I'm no expert.

WR- Devine Deablo 6-3 180 Tabor High, Winston Salem, NC 24/7 Composite #60 WR and #325 overall, 3*. ESPN Top 300 80 Grade, #40 WR, #198 overall. 4.55 40 time. Has a top 4 of CU, UNC, VT, and OSU. Crystal Ball: 57% CU 43% UNC. Clemson, North Carolina, Virginia Tech and Ohio State are my top schools right now,” Deablo said, “I’d say they’re all even. They’re showing me the most interest and have let me know how much they want me to be a part of their programs.” Visited CU for UNC game and the SCar game.
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1697975/deablo-divine
The way I see it: I think we're only taking a few select WR's in the next class and I'm not sure it's him. I've heard we've really backed off of him.

WR- Eddie McDoom 5-11 170 Winter Garden, FL West Orange HS A 3* recruit on Rivals, 3* recruit from 247. # 56 WR. 31 recs, 475 yds, 4 TD. 4.25 shuttle, 32.8 vertical. Also runs track. One of the faster guys in the 2016 class. Offered in May and were the first to offer him. CU, OhSt, scar, BC, and UK are all going for his services. Recently visited UK. Stated in October that Clemson was on top. "The offense they have there is a passing offense and I like it a lot and it feels like I could fit in there. I'm really excited about it. I like the school and I know they have a lot of players that come out of there in the draft." http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1841431/eddie-mcdoom
My opinion: Tough to say on him but he likes us atleast.

WR- Stephen Sullivan 6-6 200 4* Donaldsville, LA 24/7 #11 WR, 74 overall. 24/7 #9 WR and #71 overall 4*. ESPN Top 300 #11 WR and #69 overall. Verbal commit to LSU on 2/15/14. Still making visits. Made an unofficial visit to CU in November for the scar game. Auburn, Clemson, Hawaii, Mississippi State and Ole Miss are a few of the schools that have offered recently and he took an unofficial visit to Auburn.
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1558702/stephen-sullivan
I think he'll stick with LSU. However he is still looking around.

WR- Cornell Powell 6-1 180 Greenville, NC J.H. Rose HS 24/7 4* #48 WR #267 overall. Attended scar game. In 2013, had 47 catches for 1,228 yds with 21 TDs. Also plays stellar on special teams. US Army Combine MVP. Likely will climb, if not soar up in the rankings. Crystal ball says 75% CU, 12% OhST, 12% UNC, fwiw. Being recruited by Jeff Scott. Visited CU last season for the NCSU game. Also a basketball prospect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awXzlbr2JcE

Short read on Powell from 24/7, "“I loved his competitiveness,” 247Sports Director of Scouting Barton Simmons said. “He competed all day long.” Powell was slated for the first session of the combine, but he stuck around and competed in both. “He fought for reps,” Simmons said. “I thought he showed the most diverse skill set of any of the receivers. I thought he showed great quicks and the ability to get off the line of scrimmage. He showed strength downfield to be a big receiver with the ball in the air. He can play whatever role you need a receiver to play and he showcased all of that.” Clemson is the early favorite for Powell, led by the recruiting efforts of Jeff Scott. “We’re really close,” Powell said. “We talk almost every day. I’ve been up there a couple times and I’ll probably go back. “When I went down there they showed me mad love. It was a real cool experience. I visited their campus and toured the school. The atmosphere, the best 11 seconds in college football, going down the hill, that was unbelievable. The game atmosphere was crazy and I just enjoyed everything about it. My mother even liked it. I went to Carolina, N.C. State, ECU and Duke, but Clemson stood out.”
My Take: He's ours to lose and I think he's vastly underrated. I think he'd be a solid pickup.

WR- Diondre Overton 6-5 195 Greensboro, NC Page HS Offered on 12-8-14. Also a basketball prospect. Has a 32" Vert, 225 bench, and 325 squat. Being recruited by Jeff Scott and Danny Pearman. Has early offers from CU, VT, Duke, ECU, NCSU, and UNC. In 2014, he had 70 catches for 1200 yards and 11 touchdowns "I know that they have a good history of putting wide receivers in the NFL," he said. "I know it's a good program and I like their offense. I think I kind of favor some of Clemson's former receivers like Martavis Bryant and Sammy Watkins. I remember that Sammy had a couple of touchdowns of over 90 yards."
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4198067/diondre-overton
My Take: If he decides to play basketball and football I can see him staying on Tobacco Road. If he's serious about football then I'd like to see him at Clemson. I'd like to see more of him from camps and combines; maybe some more official speed times.

WR- Darnell Solomon 6-2 175 Hollywood, FL Champagnat Catholic HS. 97 grade, #4 WR, 35 by Rivals. Offered on March 5, 14. Attended camp at CU. In 2013, 47 recs, 896 yds, 9 TDs. Ran a 4.4 40. I would be shocked if we are still interested in his services as he was arrested for theft while at UGA camp. The latest: "Wide receiver Darnell Salomon, the No. 35 recruit in the nation according to the 247Sports Composite, has apparently been using an iPhone he denied stealing after turning himself in on felony burglary charges in July, according to a report by the Athens Banner-Herald Web site onlineathens.com."
Yea, I think we're done with him...

WR- Clyde Lefore 6-1 175 New Orleans, LA Warren Easton HS 24/7 #17 WR and #89 overall. ESPN Top 300 #18 WR, 82 grade, #97 overall. 4.43 40 time, 180 bench, 230 squat. 33 catches for 821 yards and nine touchdowns in 2014. From Scout James Smith, "His strengths are easily noticeable in his highlight reel, as he glides around the field, outrunning opponents and often making big plays in the passing game. His athleticism and ability to track and make plays on the ball is what sets him apart from many of his peers."
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1518513/kelejawan-leflore
He's SEC bound.

WR- DJ (Darrell) Clark- 5'11 175 New Orleans, LA 1st team All District. *3 stars by Rivals, 3 by 24/7. 3 stars, #172 WR by ESPN, 73 grade. Has commited to Arizona on Jan 24, 2015. Offered in May of 2014.
Video: http://www.tigernet.com/update/recruiting/Clemson-offers-New-Orleans-WR-15805
I don't know if we're even gonna push for him.

Re: Here's the 2016 WR Board....

Jan 29, 2015, 5:16 PM

TigerBry83 - Powell is listed as a 4* and you think he is vastly underrated? Do you think he is considerably one of the best overall Wr's in this cycle? If so, I defintely hope we get him. Really appreciate your recruiting tidbits!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's why I think Powell is underrated....

Jan 29, 2015, 5:39 PM

While he is a 4* guy, most services has him listed as a Top 40 or higher WR and I just do not agree with this. He's a tremendous athlete who has size, makes plays, and excels when the stage gets bigger. In the playoffs this year, the first game he had three touchdowns, the second playoff game he had five touchdowns. When they asked him to make he play he did just that. Powell has elite lateral movement. At times a basketball player would show up a little "soft" on the football field. I do not find that to be the case with him. He was the MVP of the Combine and that's saying something. Nonetheless I do find him to potentially be one of the gems of the class if he continues to improve, grow, and stay healthy.

Re: Here's why I think Powell is underrated....

Jan 29, 2015, 6:02 PM

Hopefully we land him this weekend.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2015, 6:19 PM [ in reply to Here's the 2016 WR Board.... ]

First time actually watching film on Powell. Really like his skill set. Quick, explosive, shifty/slippery in space. Good hands. High points the ball well.

With Overton, the only thing I see lacking in his game right now, is explosiveness in and out of his breaks, and off the line of scrimmage. He'll be an absolute monster Inc he improves that part of his game, bc once he does get going he moves really well: fast/long-strider and shifty in open space. Blocks well. Hope we get both AND Chase. Still haven't gotten the chance to watch his highlights, though.

I noticed that too

Jan 29, 2015, 8:41 PM

He's kind of slow out of his breaks but I think Overton is still learning the position. Once Jeff Scott gets ahold of him I think he has Martavis Bryant/Mike Williams type upside.

Jan 29, 2015, 10:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Here's the 2016 WR Board.... ]

Powell is an extremely comparable player to Nuk Hopkins...good speed but he'll run great routes and good hands, especially good at high-pointing the ball. Similar size. Cant wait to see him here

I wanted to say this too

Jan 30, 2015, 2:27 AM

but Nuk's hands are glue and I haven't seen much film on Powell other than his Hudl.

Other than Powell

Jan 29, 2015, 8:36 PM [ in reply to Here's the 2016 WR Board.... ]

who do you think we land? I said Overton because Dabo has zeroed in on him. Depending on how Mike Williams does in the draft all you have to say to a 6'5-6'6 kid is "In the last three years we've put two 6'5-6'6 WR's in the first four rounds of the NFL draft and we firmly believe that you could continue the legacy".

Just want the name McDoom on a jersey....***

Jan 29, 2015, 4:10 PM

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic