Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This year could be Brownlee's best coaching job so far
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

This year could be Brownlee's best coaching job so far

Jan 29, 2015, 8:50 AM

IMHO - He's kind of been behind the 8 ball since he's been here.

1. Hired late after OP snuck out the back door, so couldn't really recruit that first year.
2. Booker & Jennings were somewhat of a bust and MJ never lived up to the hype.
3. Transfers.
4. KJ left early.

I'm not saying rename Littlejohn the "Bradley Brownwell Basketball Emporium" but we might want to think of adding a year or 2 to his contract. Seems to be getting better recruits lately. I think given 2-3 more years he'll have us consistently in the mid-upper ACC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This year could be Brownlee's best coaching job so far

Jan 29, 2015, 8:55 AM

If KJ doenst leave early this team has 3 more wins easily.

Would be 15-5 (5-3) instead of 12-8 (4-4)

FSU Gwebb and Winthrop would not have been losses.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Yeah and IF my aunt had

Jan 29, 2015, 9:01 AM

nutz she'd be my uncle.

;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: Yeah and IF my aunt had

Jan 29, 2015, 9:02 AM

and if you wernt a midget you could ride a roller coaster.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

plus juan. why does coach brad still get passes in year 5?

Jan 29, 2015, 9:08 AM [ in reply to Yeah and IF my aunt had ]

not that there's anything wrong with that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: plus juan. why does coach brad still get passes in year 5?

Jan 29, 2015, 10:03 AM

See original post... that would some of the reasons.

Now go ask why Jack Leg is still here when..
- he has had better talent and recruiting classes for Clemson baseball than Coach BB has had for Clemson basketball
- does not exceed preseason or fans expectations
- consistently (for last 7 years) has had Clemson starting slow out of the gate and losing when it should not
- has been owned by the uscjr down below

Coach BB does more with less talent than any coach at Clemson. Plus, he does it with less support from fans and Clemson community.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the original post was the reason for mine and jack leg

Jan 29, 2015, 10:09 AM

has made the big dance 20/21 years?

both should do better it seems & the talent is both their responsibilities, no one elses.

5 years is plenty of time to stop making excuses for a professional in most any business.

i like thebrad, but all the excuses are dated.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2015, 8:56 AM

I'm pretty much a Brownell supporter, but he got a very nice extension after last season with a sizable buyout. There is no need for another extension now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reading comprehension PLEASE ! He did NOT say give

Jan 29, 2015, 9:00 AM

Brownwell another extension . . .

He said name the basketball arena after him . . .

DUH ! ! ! !

htsmhh in advance

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

"we might want to think about adding a year or 2 to his contract" ***

Jan 29, 2015, 9:03 AM

HTH my head.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

(You actually read all that ??? Impressive.)

Jan 29, 2015, 9:07 AM

I stopped at the Emporium part & just wanted to run with the naming of the emporium after our boy Brownlee.

I gets excitable like dat.

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Jan 29, 2015, 9:14 AM

Not too far of a stretch(about naming anything after brownell).......

My clemson buddy(CU Class of '86) said that if BB stays for a long time and have us competing in the mid-tier of the ACC,they could indeed name the court after him...

I'm not so sure that Brownell can recruit well

Jan 29, 2015, 9:18 AM

and his contract is long enough as it is.

I believe this team should be further along than it actually is right now. Although they have shown improvement as of late. If Brad is a great coach and a good recruiter, he should be getting his team to the tournament at this stage in his tenure. So I will just continue taking a wait and see approach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I've said all along that this is his most talented team to

Jan 29, 2015, 10:06 AM

date, even with KJ gone. (minus his first year)

I like Brad, but he needs a monster finish down the stretch... like an 11-7 ACC finish, in order to consider getting all he could out of this group.

The last two have been a good start, and I think we are capable of playing well the rest of the way.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

I don't see how this team should be better than last year's

Jan 29, 2015, 10:48 PM

We replaced KJ with Grantham, who is going to be good, but as of now, doesn't bring near what we lost with KJ.

The drop off this year is largely due to KJ leaving

Jan 29, 2015, 10:08 AM [ in reply to I'm not so sure that Brownell can recruit well ]

how many times has a Clemson basketball coach had to worry about their best player leaving early for the NBA? That's not usually in the contingency plans. We are used to having to replace players that transfer or never reach their potential, not NBA-level talent.

Sorry I don't buy it

Jan 29, 2015, 3:41 PM

He should have known very early on, as we all did, that KJ was leaving.

And in year 5, if there is not enough talent to step up after KJ leaves, then that is a CBB problem, which comes back to recruiting.

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

You knew after KJ's sophomore season he was leaving early?

Jan 29, 2015, 5:48 PM

When he averaged 10 points and 5 rebounds on a sub .500 team? Seriously? Recruiting is done a year in advance. Can't really get in on guys in January which is when speculation actually began about KJ

Re: Sorry I don't buy it

Jan 29, 2015, 6:14 PM [ in reply to Sorry I don't buy it ]

Lol you're fooling yourself if you are gonna try to act like you "knew early on" that KJ was gonna leave.

Recruiting, Recruiting, Recruiting!!! We need Players!

Jan 29, 2015, 6:33 PM

I must say I had never been that impressed with Brownell, but I did not think Purnell was all that great either. KJ left early-(Good for him) and one of his best recruiters took the College of Charleston HC job earlier this year. Then you see what they did last night against NC STATE. Built a lead and Pack comes back to within 3 with over (9) minutes left. I was like Lights out. CLEMSON WINS BY DOUBLE DIGITS!!!! He can coach and if he gets some 1st class athletes he can move this program further than it has ever been. I'm not there yet, but #### if I ain't becoming a Brownell fan.

Re: Recruiting, Recruiting, Recruiting!!! We need Players!

Jan 29, 2015, 7:20 PM

Brownell absolutely can coach!

But, recruiting to Clemson is problematic for him just like it's been for every other HC Clemson has ever hired. And a lot of it stems from the perception that has been created for decades that we really just don't care that much about basketball.

Building the new facility is absolutely the key to showing recruits that we mean business at Clemson. We may never become a regular in the Final 4, but we can compete for the ACC with the sort of athletic department backing that has helped UVA reach their current status.

Give Brownell the same sort of recruiting ammunition that we gave Dabo and see if we can't make some strong headway in this hoops thing.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic