Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2015 Position Battle: Running Back
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,282

2015 Position Battle: Running Back

Jan 28, 2015, 4:32 PM

Just sharing my thoughts... Feel free to comment...

RB
As a redshirt freshman, Wayne Gallman finished the year as the starter at the running back position. That would imply that Gallman will be the starter as a sophomore. However, Clemson expects more from this position. Granted, much of the success or failure falls on the blocking of the offensive line; a unit that certainly played no small part in failing to convert on rushing downs. Still, Gallman cannot expect to feel secure with being the front-runner; he has five other guys at running back that are legitimately talented and fighting for carries. Gallman’s best attributes are his ball security and his tenacity. As hard as Gallman fights, I would have expected it to result into at least one fumble or injury last year. That he has yet to commit a single fumble or sustain major injury is remarkable. CJ Davidson (redshirt senior) was the second leading rusher. Davidson has great speed and has looked very good at times but untimely fumbles have caused his snap count to diminish. Among all the guys, I expect fellow redshirt sophomore Tyshon Dye to push for the starting job. If not for major injuries during his redshirt year, he was projected to be ahead of Gallman. Another guy that was previously ahead of Gallman is redshirt junior Zac Brooks. Brooks sustained a foot injury last fall that led to a medical redshirt. Much like Gallman, Brooks lacks ideal size but has demonstrated great ball skills. Another name, Adam Choice, burned his redshirt as a true freshman when Brooks went down. In fact, Choice was leading the team in rushing and looked like the Tiger’s best running back until he tore his ACL at Boston College on October 18th. He is scheduled to be healed by fall camp, so a redshirt in 2015 would only occur if the coaches want to save him for a later day; not such a wild idea given all the options at RB. At 5’-9” and 215-lb, Choice’s running style impressed me as a classic and natural. His motions, cuts and ball skills looked smooth and effortless. CJ Fuller is another 5’-9” 215-lb running back; however he spent his freshman season as a redshirt, getting a chance to acclimate himself with school and the program. Practice reports indicate the coaches are impressed by Fuller, so this could further cloud who will carry the ball in 2015; We too deep.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2015 Position Battle: Running Back

Jan 28, 2015, 4:34 PM

it will be a skrong position next year, I really can not remember ever having this much quality depth here.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 28, 2015, 4:59 PM

I believe brooks will be the starter next year. He looks like a beast right now, has gained some solid upper body muscle. Tye Dye needs to get back into football shape. Its crazy considering how well Wayne played toward the end of the season that he may be 3rd on the depth chart. That being said I think he will still get plenty of carries. RB really should be a strength even if our OL doesn't progress. But with Crowder plowing holes, watch out.

Jan 28, 2015, 5:08 PM

I don't see that Brookes has gained any weight. I see him being 3rd or 4th

Jan 28, 2015, 5:09 PM

agree, not sure where he lands, but he is too good an athlete not to see the field. Receiver?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with this scenario too.***

Jan 28, 2015, 5:40 PM [ in reply to Re: 2015 Position Battle: Running Back ]

Brooks and Gallman have the same concern - they lack

Jan 28, 2015, 5:43 PM [ in reply to Re: 2015 Position Battle: Running Back ]

the lower body strength that you need in an every down back. The redshirt year, hopefully, gave Brooks the chance to improve in that area.

Unless Dye suffers another injury, I see him taking over the starting job after a spring and summer being healthy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post!

Jan 28, 2015, 5:20 PM

I would expect we will see a heavy dose of running back by committee. Expect Gallman and Dye to be your workhorses, but change of pace situations and specially designed situations could warrant a lot of the other guys on board.

Adam Choice, if healthy will definitely get the ball. He was consistent and tough last year. Great between the tackles.

CJ Davidson better stop fumbling, or his speed and cuts won't matter. His physical capabilities can't be denied, but you have to hold the ball. His speed around the edge is just blistering.

Brooks is a hard nose back who will hopefully have the bulk he needs to run the ball in his style. Brooks also catches the ball very well and will get extra time because of his reliability on the pass.

Can't wait to see CJ Fuller!

Ray Ray. Boy oh boy, it's going to be fun seeing how they use him in the future.

It all comes down to what they do in the spring, but I don't think these rb's are the selfish kind. They all want to start and they all want to win, but they have no animosity and are always saying that they will be "ready when they are called upon". It's an embarrassment of riches and kids who all support each other and play well together.

Opponents better watch out. If we get all those guys fired up and running well and the Oline can do it's thing, what will defenses do to combat a five deep running corp and a guy named Deshaun Watson, and a coaching crew who ain't afraid to cut it loose? And Mike Williams and Artavis "Still Running" Scott, and all the new guys coming along who are ready to play?

It's just disgusting, the possibilities. And I Love It!

Go Tigers!

Jan 28, 2015, 5:38 PM

CJ Fuller is a beast. So are the rest , really. This is indeed going to be interesting. IMO we'll see 3 "clear cut" leaders in the Fall that will make up a "running back by committee" type situation. We will definitely have fresh legs and talent to go with those legs. The job is W. Gallman's to lose, and I don't think he will lose it. He's gonna get even better. Tough to say who will be #2 and #3. Fuller, Dye and Choice are all studs. Brooks may see some time in the slot..he has great hands.

For now, I'll just enjoy us being TOO DEEP!

Jan 28, 2015, 5:51 PM

The good news is, if, and this is a big if, we have any OL performance, we may just be able to run the ball at will. That would allow us to eat up clock as long as we need to, or choose to. That will be a nice change. No more tricks or passes to make a 3rd or 4th and inches will be a real plus that has been missing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 28, 2015, 6:37 PM

In the past ---Dabo has always played the back,with the ""Hot Hand"" ---look for this to continue with all the backs,mentioned -- any of them could carry the load,with a little help from the OL*****

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,282
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic