Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question about strong side DE and weak side DE.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,762

Question about strong side DE and weak side DE.

Jan 26, 2015, 5:00 PM

Why do so many people call our defensive end positions strong or weak side when they stay on the same side every time?

Last year and the year before Beasley/Lawson played the right side and Crawford/Barnes played the left side all the time, It didn't matter where the TE lined up.

If the TE is on the offense's left and Beasely stays on that side, he is then the strong side DE, right, but usually the weak side DE because the TE usually lines up on the right, I'd assume.

Message was edited by: josephg®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question about strong side DE and weak side DE.

Jan 26, 2015, 5:05 PM

Isn't it probably based on traditional 4-3 alignments as opposed to a play by play reassessment of identity as that could probably get pretty tricky to keep up with.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Weak side is usually QBs backside(when not factoring

Jan 26, 2015, 5:09 PM

in a balanced set or where the TE is). So a right handed QBs back side will be on the right side(Looking at the offense from the defensive side of the ball). The hardest spot for him to see a rusher...hence where you put your better rushers.

When was the last time we saw a southpaw? Would we

Jan 26, 2015, 5:12 PM

flip them against a lefty?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yup....cant remember the last lefty.....

Jan 26, 2015, 5:18 PM

But it does change everything from the natural roll-out direction...natural flips...etc. Isnt Vick a lefty?

Yea, played against him in '99 and '00.***

Jan 26, 2015, 5:31 PM

Jan 26, 2015, 5:14 PM

This is a good question.

I always look at the "weak-side" guy in a 4-3 as playing a wide 9 alignment. Meaning, whether there' a TE there or not he'll more or less line up his inside shoulder on the outside shoulder of the TE (or where he wood be).

I envision the guy we call "strong-side" as lining up in a 6 or a 7, or on the outside shoulder of the tackle/head up with the TE.

It's possible that the alignment of the LBs, is just as important in the "strong"/"weak" distinction.

I think in the event that the TE lines up on Vic's side, you'd shift a LB over that "bubble" to account for the extra man.

I'm probably off here and someone can describe the distinction better than I can. I know teams like Baltimore and Denver move their pass rushers around some, but they still end up playing on one side 75% of the time.

Jan 26, 2015, 5:16 PM

Also, you could have a similar discussion about the distinction between our NG and DT positions and that of your traditional NG and 3-tech positions, because I think those are different in form and function as well.

you don't know the strong or weakside unless you know what

Jan 26, 2015, 5:30 PM

the call is...

for example...

BV could call the strong side the field side

he could call it the TE side

he could call it to the back

he could call it to the multiple receiver side

One of my old defensive calls was "Field 43"... meaning strong side was the field, and we were playing quarters on the field side, and cov. 3 on the boundary

We would also call "Tight 3", which was the strength to the TE and we played Cov. 3 behind it...

Strong side depends on what the call is

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Strong side is the wide side of the field***

Jan 26, 2015, 6:21 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,762
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic