Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2015 Position Battle: Defensive/Bandit End
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,638

2015 Position Battle: Defensive/Bandit End

Jan 26, 2015, 4:41 PM

Just sharing my thoughts...

DE/BE
Much like the defensive tackles, Clemson must replace both starters and three seniors (from last year’s two deep chart) at the defensive end and bandit end position. Shaq Lawson (a junior) is a guy that has the most experience and a lot of production when he has been in the game. While he has mostly spent time at bandit end, he can play either side because he possesses the size to hold down the DE position and the pass-rushing skills needed at BE. Kevin Dodd (a redshirt junior) is next as far as experience-at-end is concerned. Dodd is a more suited at DE, but has yet to make much noise outside of practice reports. This is the year he needs to show that he is a gamer. If Lawson starts at DE, Dodd will likely back him up. If Lawson starts at BE, it means that Dodd likely starts at DE. Outside of Lawson starting at Bandit End, I see a three-way battle between Martin Aiken (redshirt junior), Ebo Ogundoku (redshirt sophomore), and Richard Yeargin (redshirt freshman). The competition in the spring, summer, and fall camp should yield reports of the winner here. My bets are between Ebo and Yeargin. Aiken has looked good on special teams but always out-of-position when he has been at bandit end. Clelin Ferrell and LaSamuel Davis are two highly-regarded true freshmen that could be options at BE but with all the guys ahead of them, I expect these two to redshirt. At DE, at least one other player will be needed to backup or push Dodd for playing time. Dane Rogers (redshirt sophomore) has had the most time in the program to develop. If Rogers cannot make a push, two true freshmen, Albert Huggins or Austin Bryant will avoid a redshirt.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i say we win 5 of 10***

Jan 26, 2015, 4:42 PM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Yeargin = V. Beasley***

Jan 26, 2015, 4:47 PM

If so, Beasley as RS freshman=little to no playing tme

Jan 26, 2015, 11:17 PM

I like the kid a lot athletically but he needs strength and weight, just like Vic did. Also, he was an LB in HS so DE is still fairly new to him, just like Vic

Yeah, Tight End didn't work out for him Freshman year so they moved him to LB, THEN DE***

Jan 26, 2015, 11:34 PM

Re: Yeah, Tight End didn't work out for him Freshman year so they moved him to LB, THEN DE***

Jan 26, 2015, 11:39 PM

Didn't they try him at RB as well?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2015 Position Battle: Defensive/Bandit End

Jan 26, 2015, 7:47 PM

> Just sharing my thoughts...
>
> DE/BE
> Much like the defensive tackles, Clemson must replace
> both starters and three seniors (from last year’s two
> deep chart) at the defensive end and bandit end
> position. Shaq Lawson (a junior) is a guy that has
> the most experience and a lot of production when he
> has been in the game. While he has mostly spent time
> at bandit end, he can play either side because he
> possesses the size to hold down the DE position and
> the pass-rushing skills needed at BE. Kevin Dodd (a
> redshirt junior) is next as far as experience-at-end
> is concerned. Dodd is a more suited at DE, but has
> yet to make much noise outside of practice reports.
> This is the year he needs to show that he is a
> a gamer. If Lawson starts at DE, Dodd will likely
> back him up. If Lawson starts at BE, it means that
> Dodd likely starts at DE. Outside of Lawson starting
> at Bandit End, I see a three-way battle between
> Martin Aiken (redshirt junior), Ebo Ogundoku
> (redshirt sophomore), and Richard Yeargin (redshirt
> freshman). The competition in the spring, summer,
> and fall camp should yield reports of the winner
> here. My bets are between Ebo and Yeargin. Aiken
> has looked good on special teams but always
> out-of-position when he has been at bandit end.
> Clelin Ferrell and LaSamuel Davis are two
> o highly-regarded true freshmen that could be options
> at BE but with all the guys ahead of them, I expect
> these two to redshirt. At DE, at least one other
> player will be needed to backup or push Dodd for
> playing time. Dane Rogers (redshirt sophomore) has
> had the most time in the program to develop. If
> Rogers cannot make a push, two true freshmen, Albert
> Huggins or Austin Bryant will avoid a redshirt.

Dodd is not a weakside end. You can pretty much pencil him in as your starting strongside end as of Week 1 but I think Huggins or Bryant will push him. I'd stare hard at Huggins - he's already on campus and getting a full Spring under his belt will be huge for him getting a leg up. I personally think he'll push Dodd by midseason. Dodd has some talent but...to put it politely, he'd better bring it. Huggins is the Real Deal, and might be just behind Wilkins as the best D-lineman Clemson has signed in recent memory. I don't expect Dane Rodgers to factor into the 2-deep.

Ferrell and Davis will almost certainly redshirt, Davis especially - he's maybe 220 right now, and is a pure project, though he looks a whole lot like a young Ricky Sapp and has the same kind of first step. I do not exaggerate - Davis's first step is lightning, like, Vic Beasley quick. You won't hear much from Davis for a year or two...and then you might hear from him a bunch. If one of them beats a redshirt it'll be Ferrell but with Lawson/Ogundeko/Yeargin ahead of him that could be tough sledding.

Shaq Lawson will start at weakside end, period. He's not a pushover against the run, but he's not an edge-setter, which your strongside end has to be, and he's by a bunch our best pure pass rusher. His backup will be either Ebo or Yeargin...and while Ebo looks the part, I've heard very, very good things about Yeargin and I've heard he could very easily challenge Ogundeko for the #2 spot. I do not think Aiken will be anywhere near the 2-deep.

You won't confuse these guys with last year's crew, but it's a very deep, very talented bunch...albeit a very young, very talented bunch.

Jan 26, 2015, 8:07 PM

I'll agree with very thing you have to say, I do see Davis redshirting but I except him to be in the 2 deep after his redshirt year. He just looks like he is gonna gain weight fast. He has a similar build to clowning and I see him looking a lot physical like him.

Jan 26, 2015, 11:17 PM [ in reply to Re: 2015 Position Battle: Defensive/Bandit End ]

I agree with that assessment. I predict it'll be...
SDE - Dodd, Ogundecko or Huggins
WDE - Lawson, Yeargin or Aiken

I won't rule out Register making the move to DE either. He was at 6'4, 245 last spring, and could see him at around 260 by the time spring kicks off. The staff says they like him at MLB, but if Bouleware solidifies that spot and Kellen Jones comes on as a solid backup, then the move makes sense. He could do some real damage there IMO.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,638
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic