Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SMU
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 2,752

SMU

Dec 21, 2014, 1:29 PM

Off the cuff, so SMU has Chad Morris - football and Larry Brown- basketball. Is that right? If so why can't Clemson do a little better with they're coaching hires in bb. I mean we are the ACC.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SMU

Dec 21, 2014, 1:32 PM

We spend our $ and our emphasis on FB. That seems to be the excuse, at least.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2014, 1:45 PM

Man if they put half the effort into the bb program as they do fb we might be on to something. I guess they are gonna try... New arena might help a bit with recruiting. Look the bb team looked awful Friday, there is no arguing that.. Come on man.

Dec 21, 2014, 7:06 PM

I really don't disagree. I love BB. I always wanted to play BB instead of FB (I thought I was a better BB player than FB), but when I got the offer for FB I hadn't heard from any schools about BB, so I committed to Clemson FB. When the announcement was made, my HS BB coach called me into his office and gave me a few inquiries about BB from several schools, including one from Clemson, but no firm offers. I already had given my verbal for FB to Clemson, and I honored my word. After our Freshman year, the BB coach came over to the FB team and asked if any of us would like to come out for BB. I asked him if I might switch my scholarship if I did well enough, but he said there was no way I could do it. I figured I could use the study time, so I didn't do it, but I wish I had. I believe I would have had more success there than as a FB player, but who knows? I went to all the BB games when I was a student, even though we sucked. I still got to see some great players come through, like Bob McAdoo, David Thompson, and a few others who made great careers in the NBA who all played on teams we faced. I hope the BB team gets on a roll and hits the big time. They deserve some real success, IMO, and I hope they get it. Then, maybe, Swofford would look at us differently.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2014, 1:33 PM

I just think we can do a little more in that area that's all. I happen to love bb so I'm a little bias. For me it goes like this; football, basketball, baseball. As an athlete though I'm a huge baseball lover. Watching it on the couch...not so much.

Dec 21, 2014, 1:52 PM

SMU is in the red 113 million in just the last 7 years with regard to their dedication to improving athletics. Is that what you want?
http://www.smudailycampus.com/news/athletics-deficit-still-on-the-rise

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2014, 2:17 PM

Pretty sure they went out and got a game changing coach, so they are showing a commitment to change, for the better. I was talking about coach hirings. You attack that little piece without thinking ahead. Is that what I want? You got issues

Dec 21, 2014, 2:27 PM [ in reply to Re: SMU ]

Hey tiger balm, do you think there is a correlation between hiring proven coaches, good recruiting, and winning percentage? What Chad Morris does remains to be seen but if it works out like many of us think, Chad should help them get in the black. Being in the red has a direct correlation to filling those stands, people watching on t.v. He has already created a serious buzz over there. He will fill those stands, probably help facilitate the invite to the big 12, which will help they're bottom line( t.v. money). Merry Christmas

smu's a private skewl with an enrollment 1/2 that of clemson

Dec 21, 2014, 2:36 PM

yet an endowment 3 times larger @ $1.50bil.

they're located in dallas, not upstate sc.

they're filthy rich, not a state skewl subsudized by a poor state.

smu doesn't answer to anyjuan, but smu when it comes to these decisions and have a war chest to pull it off.

i hope they get what they want, but that model's 99.9% not going to fly in clemson, sc.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: smu's a private skewl with an enrollment 1/2 that of clemson

Dec 21, 2014, 2:39 PM

What friggin model man? Get a coach that looks like he cares when we lose to SC. Geez! Let's go after a veteran coach with a proven track record of high quality recruiting.

the smu model man, the juan you brought up dood. member?

Dec 21, 2014, 2:46 PM

yeah, that's the juan; they've lost $100mil+ broseph... you know, that juan?

here, in case you mist it the furst time man...

http://www.smudailycampus.com/news/athletics-deficit-still-on-the-rise

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Larry "Mayflower" Brown....anybody else see ol'Larry

Dec 21, 2014, 2:20 PM

play college ball at Fike?....gad I'm getting old....but not as old as Larry!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Larry "Mayflower" Brown....anybody else see ol'Larry

Dec 21, 2014, 2:35 PM

Yeah the same LB that went 27-10 last year lost in the Championship game of the N.I.T. in what his 1st year or was it his second year not sure. Point being SMU is trying to turn things around by hiring good people who are proven. That's all. Go Tigers! Brad B is good people, hard worker, not the recruiter I was hoping he'd be. Tough to beat out the likes of Duke, UNC, Syracuse etc.

Re: Larry "Mayflower" Brown....anybody else see ol'Larry

Dec 21, 2014, 2:42 PM

first off, the post was not a flame. Secondly, Larry Brown has had more jobs than a two dollar hooker and has taken a lot of criticism for not staying and "building" a program where ever he was when another suitor knocked on his door offering more money.

But while we're on the topic....if you're looking for a proven, qualified (like Brown) to take the Clemson job, please let us know which individual like that is going to leave a good job where he's done well for a job with Clemson's history AND in the ACC???

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The man has had more jobs than Ellis Johnson. Fellow

Dec 21, 2014, 2:36 PM

Alum, Michael Jordan, fired him.

The quality of the Chad Morris hire is still in question....

Dec 21, 2014, 3:29 PM

After all, he has never been a college head coach.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uhhh....

Dec 21, 2014, 4:00 PM

Taking the easy road, always been that way.

You are commending SMU for hiring Chad Morris...

Dec 21, 2014, 5:01 PM

who has zero experience as a college head coach, but condemn us for hiring a proven head coach, who had been successful as a college head coach, just not at the ACC level.

Mike Krzyzewski and Dean Smith each took 6 years to win an ACC title, when there were only eight teams in the league. Using today's criteria for judging a coach's success, they both would probably have been fired before the sixth year.

I am certainly not suggesting that Brad Brownell has proven he can recruit well enough to win in the ACC, but I will still take him over Oliver Purnell, who proved he couldn't COACH well enough to beat teams in the NCAA tournament, when he got there.

If we were looking for a coach right now, just who do you think we could get, that has proven he can recruit and win in a top basketball conference, such as the ACC or Big 10.

One other point, the one coach we had that could have possibly, consistently kept us in the top four or five in the ACC, Rick Barnes, left mainly because he realized it would be impossible to beat UNC and Duke on a regular basis.

SMU has more money than we can

Dec 21, 2014, 5:07 PM

ever dream of. Big Texas money.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 2,752
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic