Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
12 man roster with OP and BB players
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1,743

12 man roster with OP and BB players

Dec 21, 2014, 11:26 AM

This is what i have, and i think this really highlights the BB recruiting deficiency...

Back Court
Stitt - PG
Hammonds - PG/SG
Young - PG/SG
Oglesby - SG
Rivers - SG/SF
McDaniels - SG/SF

Front Court
T. Booker - PF
D. Booker - PF
Blossomgame - PF
Mays - PF/C
Grant - PF/C

2 BB players, and the only one that would probably start would be KJ, and even there he would be taking minutes from KC Rivers who was a fantastic player in his own right. Is this a fair assessment?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oops i left off Tanner Smith SG/PF***

Dec 21, 2014, 11:27 AM

Agreed...but I would start KJ over KC***

Dec 21, 2014, 1:26 PM

nm

I think the best all-around starting 5 would be..

Dec 21, 2014, 1:52 PM

PG - Hammonds
SG - McDaniels
SF - Rivers
PF - T. Booker
C - James Mays

That's a really good defensive team. All of those guys are very good to elite defenders except KC Rivers who was pretty average, but a good rebounder, and he's so important on offense i would want him out there. He's the only pure shooter in that lineup.

Re: Brownell=Barely Average Recruiter--Purnell=Barely Average Coach

Dec 21, 2014, 2:20 PM

If you could take Brownell's Coaching Acumen and combine it with Purnell's ability to recruit better players, then you would have the ideal Coach at CU. Brownell can't consistently land better players and Purnell was a one trick Pony--press on Defense and freelance on Offense. Oh and I almost forgot, shoot 50-55% on Free Throws!

Give me these 10:

Dec 21, 2014, 2:34 PM

Starting 5:
PG-Hammonds
SG-Rivers
SF-McDaniels
PF-Trevor Booker
C- Mays

2nd Unit:
Stitt
Oglesby
Smith
Akinbala
Sharrod Ford

Notice how BB only recruited one of these 10. That's my biggest issue with BB. That and our style of play. Today's kids are not gonna come here and play that style of basketball.

Larry Shyatt recruited Ford and Akinbala

Dec 21, 2014, 4:00 PM

In another two years you'll want Blossom game and Grantham on that list as well

Freelance?

Dec 21, 2014, 2:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Brownell=Barely Average Recruiter--Purnell=Barely Average Coach ]

Hyperbole much? It is funny how people forget in 2008-09 we were #12 in the country in PPG with 79 PPG (46.7 FG% / 37.9 3PT% / 68.4 FT%) and #19 in 2007-08 with 79.5 PPG (45.8 / 37.7 / 62.4). Heck in 2009-10 we were #81 with 73.3 PPG (45.3 / 33.6 / 65.9).

For comparison Brownell had us in 2012-13 at #300 61.5 PPG (42.4 / 31.7 / 65.4) and in 2013-14 #324 63.3 PPG (41.8 / 30.3 / 73.7). We are currently #216 at 66.4 PPG (43.2 / 28.3 / 66.8).

All the numbers show that OP's team scored the ball better and at higher percentages. Brownell has caused us to seriously regress.

Re: Freelance?

Dec 21, 2014, 3:51 PM

Exactly my point! Up tempo run and gun. Purnell recruited great athletes, but not necessarily great BB players. They scored a lot of fast break points off of the press. But, by early to mid-February, other teams had it figured out and rendered it almost useless! Also, how many More wins (especially ACC games) would Purnell have had if his teams could just shot 62-65% Free Throws. Lastly, Purnell could not adapt during games, hence, his 0 For Lifetime in the NCAA tournament!

Re: Freelance?

Dec 22, 2014, 9:40 PM

Lol, you people just kill me. Throwing Purnell under the bus for taking the worst team in the ACC and putting us in the top 3.

Hammond's was not a PG and Mays was not a center***

Dec 21, 2014, 4:03 PM [ in reply to I think the best all-around starting 5 would be.. ]

They both played those positions. Mays was PF/C

Dec 21, 2014, 4:16 PM

and Hammonds absolutely spent some time running point for us. Would you rather start Raymond Sykes over Mays just to have a "true center?" I think not.

Hammonds at point over Stitt is debatable, but that was to make room for KC and KJ on the floor at the same time and upgrade our perimeter defense because Stitt was not a great defender.

Hamilton and then Stitt were the PG's when Cliff played

Dec 22, 2014, 3:39 PM

Mays played PF and Booker played C. Because a guy might have played a few minutes there is not how you make these type hypothetical teams. By your logic Chris Corchiani should be the NC State center because he guarded Dale Davis one game(quite effectively at that)

Mays and Booker are the starting bigs on any all-CU

Dec 22, 2014, 8:27 PM

team from the last decade - to say otherwise is just crazy. You can argue semantics about who should be the PF and who should be the C, but i don't really see the point because neither were true centers, and a true center isn't even necessary.

Cliff played PG while Stitt was injured so it was a lot more than 5 minutes. He also played PG in Europe after Clemson and is listed as a PG. All I'm saying is that i would at least try him there because i think that makes the rest of the lineup a lot stronger. Obviously there's no way to know how well it would work since we can't actually assemble the team and try it.

Re: 12 man roster with OP and BB players

Dec 21, 2014, 5:06 PM

I realize this is a recruiting discussion, but D. Booker and Jerai Grant only became good players thanks to Brownell/Winiecki. Jerai WAS NOT a good post player until his senior year. Then that changed dramatically.

Re: 12 man roster with OP and BB players

Dec 21, 2014, 5:14 PM

Grant wasn't asked to be a post player though. We ran the offense through Booker his first 3 years, so his job was rebounding and the back part of the press. Jerai lead the team in FG% his Sophomore year while coming off the bench. His role was always complimentary while under OP because May and Sikes were in front of him the first 2 years and all bigs played second fiddle to Booker.

For the record, I do think BB is a better game coach

Dec 21, 2014, 6:01 PM

and he and his staff have done a better j

Dang i gotta stop trying to post on here with my phone..

Dec 21, 2014, 6:05 PM

I think BB and his staff have done a better job developing bigs, but all of those guys - with the exception of a couple that he inherited from OP - have been major projects.

In the end, coaching ability can only take you so far. We have are attempting to compete in the ACC with a Big South caliber roster. Even Shyatt's teams had more talent than this.

Yep, let Brownell and Roy Williams swap players...

Dec 21, 2014, 9:50 PM

Brownell would win every time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1,743
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic