Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Any chance we can get OP back after this season?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Any chance we can get OP back after this season?

Dec 21, 2014, 10:37 AM

Looking like this may be his last season at DePaul. Honestly I haven't watched a single Clemson bball game all year and doubt I will because we play such a boring style of basketball. The biggest thing I take from Brownell's tenure at Clemson is the lack of any kind of offensive identity. How many times have we seen his teams struggle to break 60 points? I miss OP and the exciting style of play he brought. Yeah, he stayed in the press to long sometimes, but anything is better than what we have right now. Just wish I could be excited about watching basketball again.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Any chance we can get OP back after this season?

Dec 21, 2014, 10:47 AM

No he left Clemson in pretty bad shape. We will never have a good basketball program till we start landing a couple tip 50 players every year. I would say we need a big name coach to come in. Clemson will have fork out money like crazy or take a guy with less than stellar reputation.

Dec 21, 2014, 10:59 AM

If we were in such bad shape how did BB make the NCAA's after OP left? Besides KJ McDaniels, there has been a steady decline in talent since BB took over. If it weren't for KJ his tenure would have been a complete disaster so far. Attendance has fallen every year since BB took over so I am quite surprised we signed him for 6 more years and a 5 million buy out. I mean we are going to be paying him more than OP makes at DePaul by the end of his contract.

Dec 21, 2014, 11:02 AM

Can't get worse? Larry Shyatt. BB is a really good coach. He is winning more than he should with what we have. We are lucky to have him.

Dec 21, 2014, 11:15 AM

I don't know, he may or may not be a good coach, but certainly is not a good recruiter. Why is he a good coach? What accomplishments has he achieved on the court? We couldn't get someone better for 2 million a year? Why has attendance dropped by several thousand since he took over? I don't think talented players want to play for him because of his style of play. I'm getting the same sense of hopelessness with BB as I had with Shyatt. I think the only difference so far is having KJ.

2 million a year? Completely unrealistic.

Dec 21, 2014, 12:27 PM

That money has to come from somewhere. Are you OK with cutting football spending to potentially bring in a big name coach (what big name coach in their right mind would come to Clemson?), with no guarantee of success?

Heck no. Clemson is the worst basketball program in the conference, all-time. No amount of money will fix that. It's a cultural thing that would take decades to fix.

That is totally ridiculous.***

Dec 21, 2014, 12:37 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is how much we will be paying BB

Dec 21, 2014, 12:38 PM [ in reply to 2 million a year? Completely unrealistic. ]

at the end of his contract. Right now he gets $1.55 million.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/brad-brownell-s-six-year-extension-is-a-gamble-for-clemson-170817710.html

Plus that $5 mil buyout for his 3 NIT wins***

Dec 21, 2014, 12:56 PM

I think BB must have the same agent that TB did

Dec 21, 2014, 1:14 PM

That guy must be real good at his job.

Re: Nae, I think we must have the same AD and one that is

Dec 21, 2014, 4:25 PM

worse.

People in the know think differently. You don't get on the

Dec 21, 2014, 11:36 PM

committees he does without a good resume.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 21, 2014, 7:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Any chance we can get OP back after this season? ]

Anyone with eyes can see this team is terrible. They have no heart and no pride. It's as if everybody is turning a blind eye to the depths this team has fallen and it's not going to get any better. I long for good consistent, exciting basketball. That is all most fans want and we deserve no less.

Dec 21, 2014, 10:47 AM

No he left Clemson in pretty bad shape. We will never have a good basketball program till we start landing a couple tip 50 players every year. I would say we need a big name coach to come in. Clemson will have fork out money like crazy or take a guy with less than stellar reputation.

It was so bad when OP left that the next year was BB's only

Dec 21, 2014, 12:47 PM

good team.

"well coached" teams don't throw the ball away over and over again. They also know what they are trying to do on offense to get a good shot.

Look at Rick Barnes' first Clemson team in '95. That was a no-talent-well-coached team. Then he got some recruits and we made some NCAA's for a few years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, all the Depaul fans would LOVE to see Purnell

Dec 21, 2014, 11:08 AM

gone......

Lets see, you haven't watched a single Clemson basketball game all year and have no intention of doing so because you hate the style....is that right??

You're a great fan...........of Clemson football.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's just not fun watching us struggle offensively

Dec 21, 2014, 11:18 AM

every game. Why is attendance going down every year?

Re: It's just not fun watching us struggle offensively

Dec 21, 2014, 11:21 AM

If you recall..we had some awful dry spells under OP...couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Clemson could out-athlete some opponents, but couldn't come close to out-braining a team with solid b'ball skills. OP burnt the bridge to Clemson long ago..

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

how would YOU know if the Tigers are struggling

Dec 21, 2014, 11:21 AM [ in reply to It's just not fun watching us struggle offensively ]

on offense or defense??? According to your original post, you don't watch the games.

My advice, keep on "not watching" the games and stop posting about a topic you don't follow

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My advice is not to take things personaly

Dec 21, 2014, 11:27 AM

Why are you getting so butthurt over me stating the obvious? Am I wrong? Do we not struggle offensively?

see my above post and read it slowly and carefully.....

Dec 21, 2014, 11:37 AM

How can you possibly know what you're talking about if you don't watch the games??

Think about it

Re: see my above post and read it slowly and carefully.....

Dec 21, 2014, 11:47 AM

There is this thing called internet where I can read about the game and look at box scores. It's not like I've never watched us play basketball. Here is where we are ranked statistically.

PPG: 216 (66 ppg)
Rebounds: 105 (37)
Assists: 294 (10.6)
FGP: 197 (.432)

So let me ask you again. Am I wrong? Do we not struggle offensively?

Yawn....you didn't scurry off and look up DePaul's stats....

Dec 21, 2014, 1:04 PM

why not?? Isn't that the whole point of your original post?? You want to get OP back even though you haven't watched a single game all season and probably won't?? And I suspect you've not watched one DePaul game either

There are numerous other issues to comment on with what I'm sure would be your valid opinion...but when you start a thread with the admission that you don't even watch the games, what sort of response do you freakin' expect??

This is my last post in response. This thread is as boring as it is speculative

OP's teams had no offense, either

Dec 21, 2014, 12:22 PM [ in reply to My advice is not to take things personaly ]

We lived and died by being more athletic than our opponent. Press on defense, run as fast as we can down the court on offense. If either of those things didn't work, we were screwed.

The goal is to win the game so undoubtedly we didn't

Dec 21, 2014, 11:38 PM [ in reply to It's just not fun watching us struggle offensively ]

struggle that bad in the victories.

Re: Well, all the Depaul fans would LOVE to see Purnell

Dec 21, 2014, 11:53 AM [ in reply to Well, all the Depaul fans would LOVE to see Purnell ]

If he has watched the last 4 years and doesn't like the product or the output why should he continue to invest his time? It doesn't necessarily make him a bad fan. The pressing system works at Clemson. 5 years in Brownell's system hasn't worked.

I would still keep my tickets if Clemson went to the triple option, but my enthusiasm would be way down since I know it isn't what is best for Clemson. If we then continued to keep a coach who ran that system for years with mediocre at best success, then I might just stop caring until a change is made. It is the same thing.

It worked, except when it didn't.

Dec 21, 2014, 12:25 PM

The upper crust ACC teams consistently beat us. We squeaked out what, one win against Duke, but lost pretty much all of the rest? Did we ever beat UNC under OP? We also didn't have to worry about ND, Cuse, Lou, and Pitt (all of which are difficult opponents).

OP's offense and defense preyed on less athletic or less experienced teams. Our first round ejections in the NCAA tourny are a good illustration of that.

Re: It worked, except when it didn't.

Dec 21, 2014, 12:42 PM

I remember blowing out Duke, beating them in the ACC tourny. A huge come from behind win against Maryland. Now we lose to Winthrop and Garner-Webb. We are so much better off now.

OP's formula made Clemson relevant in basketball

Dec 21, 2014, 12:52 PM [ in reply to It worked, except when it didn't. ]

He took guys that UNC or Duke wouldn't let wash their uniforms and played comparable basketball and actually had Clemson in the top 4 of the ACC. We also made it to the ACC tourney final for the 2nd time in our history. RIght now it looks like the last time that will ever happen. Glad I went.

What we have now is barely better than Shyatt.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So did Rick Barnes formula, which is basically Brownell's

Dec 21, 2014, 8:01 PM

and to say we haven't been relavent in the ACC under Brownell is not accurate as we've been .500 or better 3 of his 4 years here. Under any coach in our history, that's relavent

Re: It worked, except when it didn't.

Dec 21, 2014, 12:53 PM [ in reply to It worked, except when it didn't. ]

People knock OP's offense, but Brownell uses 4 around 1 at times and OP's teams actually scored running it. Brownell hasn't had a player he recruited shoot 37% from 3. Freaking David Potter did that with OP's coaching.

We blew the doors off Duke, UNC, and Maryland during OP's last 2 years. We were also ranked in each of his last 4 seasons here (Brownell has never had us ranked). It was by no means perfect, but do you foresee with Brownell his team being ranked from December through the end of the season? Purnell did that with the 2008-09 team.

Purnell & his press can never win against good teams..

Dec 21, 2014, 8:11 PM

Sure, it can look great when the opposition is outmanned, but his record in the NCAA playoffs showed how good it was against good teams. Ever notice why NBA teams seldom press? Because a good team will beat the press. Same in college ball, you won't be the good teams by pressing. When Purnell's Clemson teams pressed, the other team scored 40% of their possessions. Hard to beat good teams that way.

I don't know if Brownell can recruit well enough to win consistently in the ACC, but he is a better coach than Purnell.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Purnell & his press can never win against good teams..

Dec 21, 2014, 9:16 PM

Wouldn't the better coach be the one who wins more?

I like BB, so we agree on that... but to suggest

Dec 21, 2014, 10:42 PM [ in reply to Purnell & his press can never win against good teams.. ]

OP couldn't beat good teams is laughable at best

He had a 4 year stretch where we won more ACC games than any other ACC team not named Duke or UNC.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Not true

Dec 21, 2014, 11:07 PM [ in reply to Purnell & his press can never win against good teams.. ]

and that would still be better than losing to the good teams AND bad teams.

OP 8 wins vs ranked teams in 7 years
#12 North Carolina
#15 NC State
#22 Maryland
#21 Virginia Tech
#7 Duke
#4 Duke
#12 Butler
#12 North Carolina

Brownell 3 wins vs ranked teams in 4.3 years
#22 Virginia
#16 Duke
#18 Arkansas

Winning 60-55 isn't boring, losing 90-80 is.

Dec 21, 2014, 8:24 PM

As far as bringing back former coaches, I would much rather have Rick Barnes, or even Cliff Ellis, than Oliver Purnell. Brownell just needs to get some better players, but at least we can make free throws now, never could do that under Purnell. If Brownell and Purnell had equally talented teams, and ploayed each other, I would put my money on Brownell winning that matchup.

Dec 21, 2014, 9:24 PM

Are you nuts?!!! I don't want him back....DePaul has become a complete dumpster fire since he took over and he couldn't win here in the dance. I think Brownlee will take us back sooner rather than later!

Dec 21, 2014, 10:30 PM

Im down with OPP

Brownell is a really good coach. He just needs better players.

Dec 21, 2014, 10:31 PM

And he has been getting them. Recruiting has gradually improved the last few years. Our leading scorer and rebounder (Blossomgame) is a sophomore. Our most talented player (Grantham) is a true freshman. We signed a Parade All-American for a first time in a long time (Devoe). And the two players we signed for next year are highly regarded. We have also been in it with some top 50 players this year. Recruiting is clearly better.

For those who just want to criticize, this is small progress. But basketball recruiting takes much more time than football to improve upon. BB is making inroads in recruiting and that will continue to pay dividends.

I'm not pleased with where we are as a team right now, but I can take a step back and see thst things will get better.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Please no 40 minutes of full court press even when it is

Dec 21, 2014, 11:33 PM

failing miserably.

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic