Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The hate for Brownell is unjustified
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,107

The hate for Brownell is unjustified

Dec 21, 2014, 8:49 AM

I came through Clemson when our basketball team was not good
and then something happened that changed everyone's feeling about our team.

What it was was Skip Wise, Tree Rollins, and Stan Rome entered the scene.

We instantly became nationally relevant. It was bad and then good, real good

Littlejohn filled up with rowdy fans to watch them play.

It can happen again if Brownell can get one recruiting class with a great point guard,
a strong wing, and a force inside.

Brownell has lost players every year so far and has been constantly in rebuild mode.
Whether you like him or not, I believe he is just barely off from hitting stride.

One great point guard could change it all, one three point shooter. I don't think we need all that
much to be a really good team.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The hate for Brownell is unjustified

Dec 21, 2014, 9:11 AM

I don't hate Brad Brownell, he's just not the answer to our problems, he's only adding to them. You state about all the loss of personnel he has had....that points to internal issues that HE has control over. Everyone keeps blaming all of his "struggles" on our poor facilities. I don't get it, in 2003 Littlejohn was renovated at a coat of $31 million, the annex was added as well almost doubling the total square footage. How are facilities an issue? Did we waste $31 million? Or has LJ just become a scapegoat for a poor quality program? If so, how is it that Duke plays in a 70 + year old facility and they manage to do pretty well? We are going to most probably be stuck with Coach Brownell for a while because of his buyout clause (we can thank our AD for that mess) so we are going to have to try and endure his sad, hard to watch brand of basketball. There is no hate for Coach Brownell just complete and utter disappointment in his inability to win on a consistent level I guess we live and learn but when it's Clemson basketball, the learning is both painful and constant.

Dec 21, 2014, 9:30 AM

You can't compare Clemson's program to Duke's program. Duke could play in the oldest warehouse in Alaska and whatever seats were there would be sold out.

Brownell's recruiting has vastly improved over the last two years. This year's class fills a need at PG and inside. I think talent is there, but it's still young. We'll see.

How has it improved?

Dec 21, 2014, 10:31 AM

You say recruiting has improved. How so?

All the transfers, that's on him.

His teaming is lacking talent. Again it's on him.

The ridiculous buyout. That's on D-Rad, one of several of his blunders.

Dec 21, 2014, 9:24 AM

I like BB for the most part but I am curious as to why we have had so many players transfer out. I understood the few that were recruited my OP but it seems to be an ongoing thing.

I think we need to win some big games this year and make the NIT again or he will be on the hot seat. I know Clemson has a lot to go against BBall wise in the ACC but you have to keep trying.

Dec 21, 2014, 10:50 AM

It may partially be because of the play style. Tony Bennett at UVA uses a very similar style and had 4 of his first 6 recruits transfer out of there. The big difference with them is Bennett is a much better coach and was able to lure some top talent guys there.

Dec 21, 2014, 12:04 PM

Bennett also gets to recruit from VA, MD, DC area where people care about basketball. He can get kids who were properly coached. We have to settle for SC, NC castoffs, and Atlanta Metro area. The basketball talent and depth isn't there to run a system like Bennett does. That is why OP was s successful by being different.

He lost to Winthrop, Gardner Webb and then got destroyed

Dec 21, 2014, 9:57 AM

by 30 from our arch rivals. A good coach would not let a team as good as ours lose that way or to those teams.

We can do better than BB for the money we are paying him and the money we are putting into the LJ renovations.

I don't hate BB, but I think we can do better.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Kentucky is also in constant rebuild mode***

Dec 21, 2014, 10:29 AM

Dec 21, 2014, 10:29 AM

I dont hate the guy, but it will be the same old story every year when we are pursuing Big South talent and expecting the compete in the ACC.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brownell doesn't appear to be a coach that can land

Dec 21, 2014, 10:53 AM

those guys though. Also, it's mostly his own recruits leaving the team year after year which isn't a good thing to no matter how you look at it.

It's not hate, it's disappointment and regret.

Dec 21, 2014, 12:58 PM

Standard basketball formulas don't work well at Clemson b/c we can't get players that can compete with UNC, Duke, Louisville, Syracuse, etc.

OP's formula is a good one for us.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,107
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic