Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why this bowl game really matters. 6 reasons.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,131

Why this bowl game really matters. 6 reasons.

Dec 20, 2014, 10:21 AM

The prevailing attitude of this bowl game seems to be, meh. Maybe this is a pre-emptive defense mechanism because many of us believe that our QB situation makes it extremely hard for us to beat Oklahoma. Maybe it's because our horrible collapse against GT cost us a shot at the Orange Bowl, only to be coupled with our bad luck regarding being passed over for the Citrus Bowl. I get it, the Russel Athletic Bowl, on Dec 29 isn't as glamorous. True.

But with those points fully acknowledged and processed, I argue that the reasons why this game DOES matter blow the reasons why it doesn't out of the water.

1. A potential high final ranking. While many of you claim that you don't care about rankings, I think we all do care. Rankings are recorded in history and rankings say a lot to the rest of the country about how respectable your program is. Is there a significant difference between being #22 or #20? No, of course not. But is there a big difference between being #13 or #23? Absolutely. That is what we are looking at for this bowl. I care, as a Clemson fan, that we finish in the top 15 every year. Facts like that make it easier to promote Clemson to strangers and defend us against haters.

2. Another 10-win season. I don't care who you are, finishing with double digit wins is a lot better than being 9-4. Just look at the two numbers next to one another. 10-3 Clemson or 9-4 Clemson. Tell me that doesn't make a difference. If we win the bowl game we will have 4 consecutive at least 10-win seasons. That's another historically significant fact.

3. We are playing on the big stage, so there is the potential for us to gain national respect. Just because this isn't a tier one bowl, doesn't mean that the national perception of Clemson will remain unchanged for this game. We can gain ground or lose ground. I am proud of Clemson and it matters to me if other people have a chance to increase their respect for us.

4. Head to head against a major, national program. Just because Oklahoma isn't ranked, doesn't mean that playing them isn't a big deal. This is a great opportunity to show another big program, with a huge fanbase, that Clemson is the real deal. Auburn, Ohio State and LSU fans have to tread lightly around us, because of the head to head. I want Oklahoma fans knowing they are 0-2 against us.

5. Momentum in the offseason. This may be the least significant and most cliche, but coaches always say there is a different energy level following a bowl win vs. a loss. If it could potentially launch a better offseason, then it's important to me.

6. Uh... it's a Clemson game. We should always care very much whether or not our Tigers are victorious. This game will be recorded in history. I want it recorded as a win, not a loss. I always pull for my Tigers to win, because every game matters. Don't let the new culture of sports ruin a chance to treat every game like it's own season. A day of victory is a happy day. And no other day should ruin that.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for the real conversation

Dec 20, 2014, 10:25 AM

#5, while I definitely see merit in your thoughts, I think is determined by the mentality of the team. A loss can generate a fire to work harder over the off-season. A win (while I'm sure we'd all take it) and lead to a little complacency.

I'm not saying that a loss would be better, but as you said, it's probably the least significant point and depends on how the teams respond. We'll know more in spring.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson

Maybe, but I always hear coaches say that positive bowl

Dec 20, 2014, 10:29 AM

momentum carries over. Maybe they are coach-speaking, maybe they are wrong, but it makes sense to me that winning is better for team morale than losing.

Look how hard it was to get out from under that coot shadow. I think we play better against them, historically, when we know we are supposed to beat them. So winning the bowl will continue the tradition of knowing we are supposed to win.

I agree a win has better potential than a loss

Dec 20, 2014, 10:32 AM

I just meant a loss doesn't have to spell doom. It also depends how we lose. If it's all Stoudt, it will be frustrating as hell, but we can take solace in the fact that we shouldn't have the problem next year. If it's a combined team reason, then it will hurt more.

I'm hoping we can generate a fair amount of offense as the DL will be in flux, so we need to be able to put up points with returning Offensive talent

Clemson

It seems like everyone is hedging their emotions...

Dec 20, 2014, 10:34 AM

on the expectation of defeat.

If we lose, it will suck. This year still counts.

Not saying it won't. But you have to see a wider

Dec 20, 2014, 10:39 AM

picture than a W and an L. Of course a loss will suck, and of course it impacts pre-season and committee bias. But ask the Coots what pre-season rankings mean.

You don't have to like or be okay with having vulnerability in your team, especially when a star is out. But that doesn't mean you can't accept or understand it.

Clemson

I'm more concerned with what the game means to THIS year

Dec 20, 2014, 10:44 AM

than I am for next year. In that sense a W or an L means everything.

My #5 point in the OP was mostly a tool to catch the attention of those who don't realize that 2014 is still going on and has yet to be decided. Every season matters, and 2014 can be something to be proud of if we finish strong.

So I agree with you that if we lose it won't mean much for next season. It means more to the legacy of Clemson football than to the performance of 2015.

preseason ranks next Yr. are more important next Yr, than

Dec 20, 2014, 10:25 AM

ending polls. Especially for teams that are not in the SEC

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Preseason only may matter more if you end up #1.

Dec 20, 2014, 10:31 AM

Considering every season of ours for the last 35 years has been judged by the final ranking, and not the pre-season I would say that is more significant.

Plus the playoff committee has proven that where you start is next to worthless now.

I get one more drink of fresh cool water before the desert.***

Dec 20, 2014, 10:40 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think every Clemson fan wants to win, but....

Dec 20, 2014, 10:59 AM

under the current circumstances, we don't feel very optimistic.

Well said. Very well said

Dec 20, 2014, 11:23 AM

There are dozens of reasons why this game matters and I for one am taking it seriously. In addition to your list:

1. Seniors' last game. For some of these guys it will be their last chance of the field. I hope they go away with a win.

2. Conference stuff. I hate the fact that teams are judged on what conference they are in but unfortunately that is the way it works now. Let's beat a Power 5 conference and show that the ACC can play.

3. Recruiting. We have a streak of beating great programs in bowl games. It's showing in recruiting. Let it roll.

4. Cole Stoudt. This one is for him. Go back to #1. The guy has put his life and soul into this program for 4/5 years and it comes down to one game. He represents this university well and I hope he can bring a W to the fans.

And on and on. We should care about every game

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,131
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic