Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Promotion & relegation between NCAA football conferences...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 854

Promotion & relegation between NCAA football conferences...

Dec 19, 2014, 2:33 PM

This is a crazy, out of the box concept, but very interesting...

Chuck Oliver, the SEC homer we've complained about in the past brought this idea up on his radio show. Basically, each of the major conferences (SEC, ACC, B1G, Pac XII, Big XII) would have a companion lower conference (Sun Belt, Conference-USA, Mountain-West, MAC, etc.). At the end of the season, the two worst teams from the major conference would be paired off vs. the two best teams in the corresponding lower conference. If the lower conference team wins, it gets promoted to the major conference for the following year while the loser gets relegated to the lower conference.

The promotion and relegation system is currently used in European soccer leagues.

This system would allow access of the lower conference teams to the championship and would force the struggling major conference teams to work harder lest they get relegated.

It would also produce some very high-stakes post-season match-ups as opposed to the boring third tier bowls we'll be watching this Saturday.

Discuss.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love the idea

Dec 19, 2014, 2:44 PM

This would force all conference teams to invest in their football programs instead of just riding the gravy train created by a few.

I'd love to see this in our pro sports too. I'm no Philly fan, but what the Sixer's are doing is shameful. There are a lot of other pro teams doing the same.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I love the idea

Dec 19, 2014, 3:00 PM

I love it. I think the ACC should implament it on their own relegating the worse 2 teams and promoting another 2 east of the Mississippi. Good bye Wake!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Promotion & relegation between NCAA football conferences...

Dec 19, 2014, 3:28 PM

Too much of a money gap for the power schools to agree to this. I believe I posted on this a few years ago during the conference swapping talk. Would be a great system but we have come to far to make it possible now.

null

I'd love to see the ACC do this with its divisions...

Dec 19, 2014, 3:37 PM

Except just swap out one program every two years. Keeps teams in the league but helps the stronger schools schedule amongst themselves more often. This format could also allow for a 9-game league schedule where the upper division team hosts the 5th league home game by virtue of earning it on the field.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What about other sports namely

Dec 19, 2014, 3:44 PM

basketball, which does generate revenue. Just for example.

This is one of the dumbest ideas I ever heard. Is Chuck suggesting a team like App St should move into the Big 10 simply because they beat Michigan in football? Is he suggesting Michigan be forced to a season's worth of sub-pat home games and traveling to stadiums that seat 25k?

There are a gazillion other factors involved other than an upset win in football. Was he only joking around?

So the two WORST teams from a big 5 conf would play the

Dec 19, 2014, 4:09 PM

two best teams from a non-big 5 conf??

Who would the chickens be playing?? And should there be any deference to having one team from each division rather than two teams from the same division....cuz in the SEC, the chickens, Vandy and UK would encompass the two worst teams most years

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Promotion & relegation between NCAA football conferences...

Dec 19, 2014, 4:17 PM

> This is a crazy, out of the box concept, but very
> interesting...
>
> Chuck Oliver, the SEC homer we've complained about in
> the past brought this idea up on his radio show.
> Basically, each of the major conferences (SEC, ACC,
> , B1G, Pac XII, Big XII) would have a companion lower
> conference (Sun Belt, Conference-USA, Mountain-West,
> MAC, etc.). At the end of the season, the two worst
> teams from the major conference would be paired off
> vs. the two best teams in the corresponding lower
> conference. If the lower conference team wins, it
> gets promoted to the major conference for the
> following year while the loser gets relegated to the
> lower conference.
>
> The promotion and relegation system is currently used
> in European soccer leagues.
>
> This system would allow access of the lower
> conference teams to the championship and would force
> the struggling major conference teams to work harder
> lest they get relegated.
>
> It would also produce some very high-stakes
> post-season match-ups as opposed to the boring third
> tier bowls we'll be watching this Saturday.
>
> Discuss.

I've actually been proposing this for years...posted that exact same thing on here a couple months back, in fact.

Instead of 5 conferences, though, I'd have 4. Pacific, Southwest, Northeast, Southeast. 12 teams per conference tier, only one "exhibition" game allowed, so as to preserve traditional rivalries. (Clemson/Carolina, Auburn/Alabama, etc, in the event one of them was relegated.) Top four teams from each conference meet each other in the playoffs. You could organize up by region EVERY college, at every level, in EVERY sport this way. Would cut travel costs big-time, and you'd get appropriate-levelled competition against regional opponents every single week.

No more Boston College! No more Syracuse! No more bodybag games against Georgia State and South Carolina State! Instead the Southeast 1 Conference would look something like this this year:

Southeast 1
1. Alabama
2. Auburn
3. Clemson
4. Florida
5. Florida State
6. Georgia
7. Georgia Tech
8. LSU
9. Mississippi State
10. Ole Miss
11. South Carolina
12. Tennessee

...and then you'd have (just as an example), the following teams in the Southeast 2:
1. UNC
2. NC State
3. Miami
4. Arkansas
5. Kentucky
6. Louisville
7. Wake Forest
8. Duke
9. West Virginia
10. Vanderbilt
11. Virginia Tech
12. Virginia

....with a third tier composed of teams like Louisiana Tech, Marshall, East Carolina, UCF, USF, etc, etc...all trying to move up. And hey...they actually could!

I love the idea, personally. Gives you an 11-game season against competition worth watching and every week, for everybody, it's just a struggle to survive. And in a pro/relegation system, teams do not tank if their season goes awry. They can't afford to, because if they pack it in...their whole team could get relegated to the minors. The Southeast Region, actually, would probably go 10 tiers deep just on its own if you add up all the smaller colleges; there's easily 100-120 programs in that footprint alone, from 'Bama-sized all the way to Furman-sized and then down to the tiny North Greenvilles.

And hey...you'd produce a legit national champion every year. With no need for votes or committees or trying to make this goshawful system we've got now work intelligibly.

It makes too much sense, of course. They'll never do it.

Replies: 7
| visibility 854
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic