Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Some of you are terribly confused
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Some of you are terribly confused

Dec 18, 2014, 4:14 AM

All this talk that USC will fall back to where they once were is just not true. Spurrier has forever changed their program. They may not sustain a level to which we are headed if we continue to recruit well but they will never be what they were.

I'm tickled we win this year too but it's one year. This rivalry will just continue to be a big one and I imagine every year will be a challenge . And unlike some of you, I don't mind if they do well as long as we beat them. Both programs success just enriches our rivalry.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Considering that South Carolina has been historically laughable

Dec 18, 2014, 4:24 AM

There is a lot of room between where they once were and even a below-average team.

If you had ever told me a power-5 conference team, especially one in the SEC, would go 0-21 I would have never believed you until I looked it up.

Will they be that bad? Probably not, but they have certainly done it before. I expect them to be exactly what they have built a "tradition" on: an average football team with an average fanbase.

But that's good enough in Columbia.

Wait, did I answer your question?

Re: Considering that South Carolina has been historically laughable

Dec 18, 2014, 8:49 AM

I think your point about the power 5 is valid, but back when they went 0-21 their was no power 5. Sure the big conferences have always had more but that gap has grown in the last 5 years. I do agree with the op that they will not fall back to where they came but that is only because the floor has been raised for the power 5 schools. Too much of a money gap that allows even poor recruiting teams to stay above the top little 5 teams. I do think they could easily remain an average team and below average in their conference. The good news is when are on the rise and even an average schools should put up very little fight.

null

Disagree

Dec 18, 2014, 4:26 AM

Miami had great coaches and fell
USC (the real one) great coaches and fell
UNC had Mack Brown, after he left, fell
Duke had Spurrier, fell
Bama had its glory and fell and Saban revived it
Michigan, do I really need to say it?

5 years does not change a culture. Michigan is the winningest CFB program there is, and they are a dumpster and have been for years now. Without constant and great leadership, you will lose and lose big in big time football these days.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Disagree

Dec 18, 2014, 5:04 AM

Also disagree. Sure, they will always get three cupcake victories. Everyone except Vandy is ahead of them right now in the $ec, even Kentucky. Their outlook next year is not exactly rosy, especially if Davis goes pro. The one thing the $ec has an advantage over everyone else is the mega bucks E$ecPN provides and can afford to hire former head coaches like kiffen and Muschamps as coordinators. That and ONLY that is what's brought usuck up out of their pathetic past, but even that isn't helping now. 5 wins might be their ceiling next year, IMO.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Disagree

Dec 18, 2014, 5:52 AM

LOL at the Coots are changed forever. They exist in the SEC , not compete to win it. They exist in fertile recruiting grounds , not holding their own in any consistent sort of way . They contemplate beating Clemson year in and year out , never quite sustaining that dream.
No , the confusing part is how anyone would ever believe that the Coots are gonna do anything in football other than be second in South Carolina to Clemson , grab scraps in recruiting from Clemson , Ga, UT , FSU , UF and other major players in the region. The most confused would believe in any sort of paradigm shift or " culture change " at the Coot U. That is just not ever gonna happen.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Spot on. They exceeded for a few years bc of a HOF coach

Dec 18, 2014, 7:58 AM

Whose enormous ego has finally caught up with him. The banner was an omen.
USuC- where HOF coaches go to die (on the field)

Coaching matters

Dec 18, 2014, 6:40 AM [ in reply to Disagree ]

Without Spurrier, they are headed for a fall

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Coaching matters

Dec 18, 2014, 8:03 AM

I am constantly surprised at USCjr's ability to hire HUGE name coaches. They throw tons of $$$ at them and usually reel'em on in....but the future might be different. In coaching circles both Spurrier and Holtz are Hall of Fame coaches yet both have been consumed by the many challenges of being the coot's coach. It will be more difficult for them to bring in another "BIG NAME" since most power 5 schools are now paying great salaries and the glaring fact that their program has led to the demise of most, if not all, of their former coaches. So, who knows what will happen? It should be fun to watch, that's for sure!

Big Name ? Louzer was done when they hired him.

Dec 18, 2014, 8:55 AM

Slurrier only took the job after Florida AD basically turned him down by saying he'd have to go through the interview process.He took the job to prove he could win it all anywhere. H e was wrong. Their recruiting has been good because of his name. I always thought they'd be back in the gutter when he departed. I was WRONG. They made back there before he left. 6 wins this year and they'll be lucky to get 5 next year with that schedule.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-15/sec/2015-south-carolina-gamecocks-football-schedule.php

Most of my thinking is based on years - a lot of years -

Dec 18, 2014, 6:13 AM

of observations of both Clemson and South Carolina.

Most of the Gamecocks' problems historically have had more to do with the school's location in the Capital City than anything else, and you have to look no further than Gervais Street to understand where those problems originate...i.e. the statehouse. Toss in meddling county and city officials, and you have the same recipe over and over.

That makes for a heck of a lot of more "know-it-alls," regarding SC football than Clemson faces. Look at the news media in Columbia...most all, Gamecock-oriented; most all quick to laud, even quicker to defame. Then, there are the bandwagon fans of which the Midlands are full, who never hesitate to chunk their gear, when times are rough. Now, admittedly, that's true in most major cities which include large collegiate programs, but the Midlands encompasses a huge geographical area across the middle of the state. Hence, there is a proportionately higher base of the bandwagoners than most cities feature.

While I don't necessarily believe the SC program will become a cellar-dweller, Steve Spurrier is going to learn quickly that he'll have his hands full of the Ron Morris types within and outside the media and much more so than in Gainesville. When he departs, I doubt Carolina will have a difficult time hiring a decent replacement; however, even the most ardent SC alumni and fans will tell you that if Holtz and Spurrier couldn't "get it done," then who can?

Thence, my prognosis: an average program with a few good runs here and there; swapping wins with Clemson but with Clemson maintaining a healthy lead in the overall series; and an occasional decent finish within the SEC East.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hiring Spurrier was like leasing a Mercedes ... you get to

Dec 18, 2014, 8:51 AM

drive a really nice car for a while, but then when the lease is up, suddenly you find you have no equity to draw on for the future.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you sir, are spot on

Dec 18, 2014, 11:27 AM [ in reply to Most of my thinking is based on years - a lot of years - ]

I am born and raised in Columbia and your observations about the Chickens are dead on. So many suits running around that city are grads and are Chicken Club ring knockers. Meddling at its finest. They are as good as they will ever be, and though they have a hell of a baseball and women's hoops program, the football program will always suffer from the location and the big money Chickens running around my hometown. It is a beautiful phenomenon as far as I am concerned. I detest them at 46 just as I did as a kid. Every loss they have is a victory for me as a Tiger fan. To hell with what them being good does for us.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spurrier is the one and only reason coots have had

Dec 18, 2014, 6:37 AM

Any "success". Once he is gone coots will go back into obscurity

I have to agree. OBS has changed the program forever, they

Dec 18, 2014, 6:45 AM

think they can be relevant in the national picture. hahahahahahaha

He just gives them one more way to delude themselves.

spurrier keeping them in the upper middle part of the sec

Dec 18, 2014, 6:57 AM

rankings is just postponing their inevitable return to the bottom third of the league after his departure. usuc IS known as the graveyard of coaches for a reason,you know. sos is their fifth head coach that has won the national championship (at another school) prior to their arrival in columbia, and the 4 times before sos's tenure, they have ended up right back in their historical resting spot very near the bottom of the standings. please tell us why you think THIS time will be any different.

Bless your heart....

Dec 18, 2014, 7:41 AM

I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

or the program could die and rot in hell, that too would be

Dec 18, 2014, 7:50 AM

good.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my happiest year, outside of Clemson fandom was 0-11

Dec 18, 2014, 11:19 AM

for that rat trap in garnet and black. As my late Pop used to say, "I hope the poultry lose their scrimmage games", and he was a die hard ND fan born and raised in NJ.

Re: Some of you are terribly confused

Dec 18, 2014, 8:06 AM

Who cares how they do? Go undefeated in your conference with a win over FSU and we are in the playoffs. I don't care if the coots go 0-12

touché...I would be willing to bet you

Dec 18, 2014, 11:49 AM

that the 35 and over crowd agrees with you to the Nth degree. The younger fans who grew up on the BCS feel otherwise. That is what drives their thinking....older fans, by and large, want them to lose every time they play, along with Georgia, for that matter. I will take the chance with strength of schedule. The pleasure of seeing them slime out of the stadium with another loss is just hard to resist.

LOL

Dec 18, 2014, 8:26 AM

keep crowing looking in the mirror
just by being in the SEC has not, will not change history

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You guys are soooo wrong.

Dec 18, 2014, 8:42 AM

And yes it does matter if they r good if we r trying to get into a playoff. Especially since we play them the last regular season game . Would give us two good wins if you count the acccg.

I realize they are rivals but what good does it do clemson if they suck every year? None. It hurts us more than it helps. I still say some of you are confused. I'd like them 11-0 every year coming into our game and leave 11-1.

You remind me of an exotic flower....

Dec 18, 2014, 9:02 AM

a Bloomin' Idiot !!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that's not nice...***

Dec 18, 2014, 9:06 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll try to be nicer if he'll try to be smarter***

Dec 18, 2014, 9:08 AM

still not nice...***

Dec 18, 2014, 9:14 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're dealing in theory ... in reality, there aren't enough

Dec 18, 2014, 9:06 AM [ in reply to You guys are soooo wrong. ]

really good players in South Carolina year in and year out to support both programs.

One school or the other has to dominate in-state recruiting, getting the cream of the crop from South Carolina each year in order to be a top-10 program.

SCAR has risen to respectability on the backs of several banner years in Palmetto State talent.

But, when the state produces players like Jadaveon Clowney, Stephon Gilmore, and Marcus Lattimore and they go to SCAR, then Clemson suffers.

Fortunately, Clemson has developed a knack for signing top players from other states like Florida and Georgia to fill the recent void in-state. Landing Albert Huggins this year was huge in returning to in-state domination, hopefully while continuing to attract the very best from elsewhere.

South Carolina is not capable of 11-win seasons when the state isn't annually producing great players who grew up Gamecock fans.

I personally believe SCAR program is headed into a period that will resemble Clemson in the decade after Danny Ford ... time will tell.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I concur***

Dec 18, 2014, 9:09 AM

I hope they never win another game. Because...

Dec 18, 2014, 9:12 AM [ in reply to You guys are soooo wrong. ]

When they lose, it feels like a win for me!!!

You are out of your freaking mind.

Dec 18, 2014, 11:33 AM [ in reply to You guys are soooo wrong. ]

I remember a few years ago when Clemson and usc were both in the World Series. There were some Clemson fans who were actually pulling for usc, using the same "logic" you are using now. Heck, you may have even been one of them.

So what happened next? usc beat Clemson and went on to win the NC. The next year they won it again. The next year they played for the NC, but lost.

I know it's baseball, but now tell me how usc being good helped Clemson?

my sentiments exactly....

Dec 18, 2014, 11:40 AM

reminds me of the schmuck "fans" who say things like, "I pull for them when they aren't playing us because they are from SC too and I have a lot of Gamecock friends", etc...memo to them, you are not a Tiger fan, you are not passionate enough to be about Clemson. I love that they despise Clemson because it is mutual.

We didn't lose because they were good

Dec 18, 2014, 11:43 AM [ in reply to You are out of your freaking mind. ]

We didn't play well at all after like two games. How does USC being awful enhance the rivalry. If they were 0-11 each time we play in football ... Don't u think that might get kinda boring and be a very ho him win?

Either way... I still wish u guys a merry Christmas. But u r all still wrong lol

So 6-6 is not where they were???!!??***

Dec 18, 2014, 11:53 AM

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic