Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2015 Speculation: O Line
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility

2015 Speculation: O Line

Dec 5, 2014, 2:29 PM

First and foremost, let me say that Battle has no business leaving early. Would he get drafted? Probably...successful pro career? Maybe. I said the same thing about Martavis: tons of physical potential lacking mental discipline. IB can make himself a 1st round pick if he comes back and works hard. Bottom line is, we NEED Battle next year, and it is definitely in his best interest to come back.

That being said, here's how I think the offensive line will look next year

LT - Battle...backed up by Hyatt/Oliver Jones
LG - Guillermo...backed up by MacLain/Region
C - Norton/Guillermo
RG - Crowder...backed up by MacLain/Region/Taylor Hearn
RT - Gore backed up by Hyatt/Oliver Jones

I think Hyatt will be the only incoming OL that will avoid a redshirt, as we will have added depth with Justin Falcinelli, Taylor Hearn, Maverick Morris, and Zach Riggs. Linemen benefit from RS seasons more than anybody except maybe QB, so I don't think it would by wise to play them unless necessary. I could see maybe Noah Green moving to guard and maybe avoiding a RS, but unlikely.

Battle will be our best offensive lineman, and I think Joe Gore is ready for a good season as well. Region has been a bust, but there's still a chance for him to see the light before his senior year. Crowder looks ready to be that nasty run-blocking guard we've lacked in recent years. He is ready for a breakout season as well

LG and C will alternate between Guillermo and Norton at either position. I think Guillermo is the better fit of the 2 at guard. He is too strong and talented to keep out of the lineup. Norton has been solid the last 2 seasons, but I think we will see more consistency in snaps and performance as a senior.

Hearn was supposedly looking pretty good over the summer, so I can see him possibly in the 2-deep at guard. Oliver Jones is a big body who could compete with Gore at RT.

I think our unit as a whole will be improved from this year...I think Davis and Beasley are big losses, but not as big as losing B Thomas and Shatley last year. We have a lot of young talent on the roster that is developing, as well as even more coming in this recruiting cycle. This spring marks the beginning of 2 key offseasons of OL player development and conditioning that could lay the foundation of a NC run in the next few years

More position assessments to come later

Message was edited by: CU2013®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2015 Speculation: O Line

Dec 5, 2014, 2:33 PM

I wanna see where Maverick fits in. He might make noise at one of the guard spots.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2014, 2:34 PM

If Hyatt avoids a Redshirt and is good enough to be second team behind Battle he will probably start at RT if not right off definitely by midseason. Also heard that Region is hanging it up this year after he graduates.

Your point about Region makes sense. That will free up

Dec 5, 2014, 2:47 PM

scholarship for another tackle, which I hope we put to good use THIS year. Not sure we need another offensive guard to replace him. A defensive tackle might be the best use of that scholly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Region hanging it up?

Dec 5, 2014, 2:58 PM [ in reply to Re: 2015 Speculation: O Line ]

Guess he is going pro?

you been here four hour!***

Dec 5, 2014, 2:59 PM

Re: you been here four hour!

Dec 5, 2014, 3:05 PM

"That will be six-thousand five-hundred dorrar"

Dec 5, 2014, 2:45 PM

I'd also be surprised to see more than one of the incoming recruits avoid a redshirt, but considering several of them are early enrollees it's certainly possible.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2014, 3:02 PM

Pull Oliver Jones off your list.

Add Falcinelli and Morris as guards.

Add Hyatt and Fruhmorgen as right tackles.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Rumor is Battle will not be back, so there's some

Dec 5, 2014, 3:51 PM

question there if Hyatt isn't ready.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Dec 5, 2014, 3:58 PM

That rumor was forever ago, he'll be back. He's nowhere near NFL ready.

Dec 5, 2014, 4:00 PM

I agree he's not ready. But the rumor persists nonetheless. All I said is that there is some uncertainty here, it's not a given he'll be back. Nor is it a given he'll declare.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Dec 5, 2014, 4:06 PM

It was only because of the punishment and trouble he was getting into early when he was suspended a couple times this year, it was out of frustration a couple months ago when it was brought up. That alone hurts his draft stock even if he was elite. I'll be very surprised if any underclassmen declare early. He has a chance to have a very good Sr. year and be a solid NFL prospect tho. I'm sure he'll do the right thing.

Dec 5, 2014, 3:58 PM

If Hyatt avoids a RS than he needs to play, I could def see him beating Gore out for the RT spot.

Dec 5, 2014, 4:01 PM

Of the incoming class, he is the most likely to see action. He will push Gore regardless and at a minimum give us much needed depth at the position.

Screw Calford.

Guillermo at C

Dec 5, 2014, 4:09 PM

Norton backs him up.

Re: Guillermo at C

Dec 5, 2014, 4:12 PM

I hope you're right. Norton got pushed around more than a few times this year, and got manhandled 3 times by the coot NG per my count after watching the replay of the game. With that said, he might have played his best game in pass protect for the year, so he graded out pretty well.

Screw Calford.

I think they both start

Dec 5, 2014, 4:56 PM [ in reply to Guillermo at C ]

If Guillermo is at C, Norton will play LG

Dec 5, 2014, 6:23 PM

Oliver jones?? Really?? Hyatt or Fruhmorgen will be back up tackles and if Battle leaves one of them will start.
Region is gone and Gore has no desire it appears?

I really think Gore pushes to start

Dec 5, 2014, 7:00 PM

Maybe I'm reaching with Jones. You never know...a couple years in the system can do good things for underrated recruits

Maybe Hyatt starts at RT, I dunno, I'm very wary of true freshmen on the O line. Hopefully I'm wrong!

Do you realize

Dec 5, 2014, 7:36 PM

Jones blew his knee out, again?

Do you realize Alabama, Oregon and FSU have started true freshmen at offensive tackle?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Do you realize

Dec 5, 2014, 9:40 PM

The tackle at Alabama, cam robinson is 6ft..5..320 and cleaned 225 25 times on youtube..simply a manchild...our 2015 tackles Hyatt 270 lbs and frumorgan 285 lbs
have lots of work to.do and need to.be redshirted

Re: Do you realize

Dec 9, 2014, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Do you realize ]

Yes I know

I also watched Alabama's true freshman RT get eaten alive all day by Mizzou DL

Re

Dec 5, 2014, 7:55 PM

Replies: 23
| visibility