Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Honest question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Honest question

Nov 26, 2014, 8:52 PM

First, let me say that I believe DW has the potential to be a big time QB. I admire his style, athleticism, and toughness. Here is my question for the board. In all I have read this week, everyone says that if DW plays, USC doesn't stand a chance no matter how injured he may be. But.... As fans, do you know worry about the lack or reps or game experience for a game like this? Watson has gotten injured in his last 2 games and has only played in like 5 or 6 total right? Again, I think the kid can play, but does his lack of game reps not worry anyone at all? Anytime you start a freshman in a rivalry game, it makes one anxious, but some on this board talk like he is a seasoned vet.

My hope is to get at least one honest answer to this question, but because I am a coot with a low pulse, I am prepared for this thread to be an attack on me as opposed to an actual discussion.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Honest question

Nov 26, 2014, 8:55 PM

TL;DR

Nov 26, 2014, 9:02 PM

Nah. I was worried about his poise until I saw him play the defending national champions on the road. Idk if you caught that one or not but he looked like a seasoned vet in that one, so no reason to think he'll be anxious against a 6-5 team at home, even if that team is our hated rival.

Nov 26, 2014, 9:10 PM

His first college drive , on the road against a top 10 Georgia team ...drove it down the field and hit a tightly double covered receiver with a laser from about 25 yds out for the TD.
I looked at my brother (a coot himself ) and said , yes ...he will do nicely .
No worried.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Link to video

Nov 26, 2014, 9:20 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ou_6nweow8

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Nov 26, 2014, 9:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Honest question ]

> Nah. I was worried about his poise until I saw him
> play the defending national champions on the road.
> Idk if you caught that one or not but he looked like
> a seasoned vet in that one, so no reason to think
> he'll be anxious against a 6-5 team at home, even if
> that team is our hated rival.

And it (FSU game) was on national tv in prime time (8pm) - a highly publicized game (with the drama of Jameis's suspension & his sideline show)....yep, DW4 was smooth, played like he'd been on the big stage before.

Nov 26, 2014, 9:08 PM

Yes, I'm concerned about the game no matter who we have at QB but I'll feel better if it's Deshaun.
He's a true freshman but looks as if he's the more experienced player and seems to be much more comfortable whether he's in the pocket or on the move. At this point of the season, lack of reps doesn't bother me nearly as much as the condition of his knee AND what effect the injury will have on his confidence.
Go Tigers!!

Nov 26, 2014, 9:58 PM

you should worry about our d cocklover

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Nov 26, 2014, 9:16 PM

Satisfied with the answers?

null

Ice water in his veins***

Nov 26, 2014, 9:20 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's given us no reason to worry.

Nov 26, 2014, 9:24 PM

When he's been in and healthy, he's looked poised and made plays, from that very first drive at Georgia.

Also South Carolina will be one of the worst defenses we've seen all year.

So yes, if he's healthy, I think he lights them up.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 26, 2014, 9:32 PM

You obviously havent seen him play and just trying to counter your own worries

Nov 26, 2014, 9:46 PM

Funny how you describe it as " this type of game", you mean a game at home against a 500 team? Yeah, he will be alright.

Nov 26, 2014, 9:54 PM

Actually I wateched FSU, UGA (second half), BC, Louisville, Wake, and GT (on and off). I like to keep up so when it gets to this time of year I can make educated predictions instead of blind, emotional decisions.

I do appreciate the answers though. My gut still tells me he won't play and that Dabo has been puttin heavy emphasis on the wildcat this week, but I wouldn't bet my house on it. The reality is we only hear what they want us to hear.

One poster is correct, this USC defense is very bad. If Clemson wins, I won't be surprised bc this year has just been bad on d. If USC wins, I won't be surprised either because clemson has had the better team more than once in the past few years but just couldn't get it done. The closer we get to kickoff, the more I feel Clemson will win. The steak has to end eventually....

Nov 26, 2014, 9:56 PM

No, I'm not worried about lack of game reps. I think that's why he didn't start at Georgia, but then proved proved he could turn that potential to in game success vs. FSU on the road.

Several people have pointed out that at FSU is a more difficult task than home vs. South Carolina, and he doesn't strike me as a kid that let's pressure like the rivalry game bother him.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's a Baller! A Gamer! One of those rare players

Nov 26, 2014, 9:59 PM

that needs very little practice time.

Not sure if you have ever personally known any but I have.

The only thing that worries me is the multiple injuries he has sustained.

I heard a Sports Analyst talk about Tiger Woods once prior to all of his injuries. He stated that he was going to end up injury prone due to his fast twitch muscle structure or something like.... I have no idea what it means or meant but darned if the guy was not right.

Does this equate the same with DW? Who knows... He is definitely an amazing athlete and I hope the powers to be will be looking into any way possible to help his strength, conditioning and constitution. Whether that be through nutrition, supplements or whatever.

Anyway... Just my honest opinion.

The chithead ran up his blocker's butt.

Nov 26, 2014, 11:35 PM

I know he hasn't hear Chad, all season, warn him and the running backs about out running his blockers. I think this issue will settle him down enough to stay reasonably safe.

It's the life of a dual threat to stay banged up a little though, it's just part of the game and he knows it.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

shaw

Nov 26, 2014, 10:10 PM

Played with more injuries.
Guess you didn't read Watson's hs story.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 26, 2014, 10:15 PM

Most of the posts I have seen have said that Watson gives Clemson a much better chance to win, not that it guarantees a win. Sure, some posters have probably said that South Carolina won't have a chance if Watson starts, but it is naive to think that any formidable well-coached opponent does not have a shot.

Watson has shown us no reason to be concerned that his game experience might be a factor. Georgia, FSU, and GA Tech were all road games for us this year. Those are pretty big stages for a young QB, but he showed remarkable poise.

As far as lack of reps for Watson, yes, he missed several games and some practice due to a broken bone in his throwing hand, but in spite of that, his skill level still far exceeds any other QB on our roster, even if he isn't 100 percent healthy.

By the way, thanks for being forthcoming about your team loyalty in your post.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Did you see the kid in his very first game?

Nov 26, 2014, 10:16 PM

and vs FSU in his 3rd?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 26, 2014, 10:42 PM

Honest answer...go look at his furst series he played in the UGA game. Can't say that game isn't a "big game" like this...after all, Clemson/UGA used to be a HUGE rivalry too (much less, that was against his home state team). And that is him with NO experience in college games, no game reps prior....

Then you have his performance on the road against the defending (and still undefeated) National CHamps in Tallahassee....and that's not a big game?

Nov 26, 2014, 11:28 PM

To echo others:

Should have beat @ FSU + school record for TD's in 1st collegiate start = me not worried about his chops

If you ask this on FGF you'll hear what you want to hear.

Nov 26, 2014, 11:32 PM

Not that it makes a fluck but at least you'll be happy and comfortable all week.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DW will win a Heisman in the next two years...

Nov 26, 2014, 11:41 PM

If you love college football and watching the best, you are in for a treat on Saturday, my feathered friend.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic