Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Need help with Direct TV at tailgate
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Need help with Direct TV at tailgate

Nov 26, 2014, 8:22 AM

Started bringing the SWM dish and tripod a couple of games ago and was able to get the dish level and bring in the high def espn, fox ss, sec and other national sports channels to watch most of the games but could not pick up the local channels which usually carry ACC games. We live in Charleston area but I plugged in the Clemson zip code for the proper azimuth, elevation and tilt dish alignment and adjusted the dish accordingly but I still couldn't pick up local channels. Has anyone else had this problem and/or have any suggestions?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

$25-30 digital antennae from Radio Shack should work....***

Nov 26, 2014, 8:25 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree that would work but that would be just one more thing

Nov 26, 2014, 8:28 AM

to bring and set up. I was hoping it was something simple that I wasn't doing correctly with Direct TV receiver.

Re: Agree that would work but that would be just one more thing

Nov 26, 2014, 8:31 AM

We use one (digital antenna) also - if you have more than one input, you should be able to run them both separately, then just hit "input" on the remote and you have the local channels. That's what we have done in the past anyway. H3ll, if you need one, I've got several - if you're in Charleston still, PM me and I'll give you one before we head out this afternoon.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks, check your tmail in a few minutes.***

Nov 26, 2014, 8:34 AM

You won't get local stations if your "home" is CHS

and you take your receiver away from "home".

https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2760/kw/rv

Go d@mn Tigers

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

You can use over the air antenna for local, but if you want

local programming thru Directv, you have to call them.

Once you get them on the phone, tell them you need to change your service area, but keep the same billing address. Give them an address in Clemson. After they make the change, you'll reboot the receiver (or just turn on if it was off), new guide will download, and voila, you'll have local channels.

Only takes about 15 minutes from start to done. However, you'll have to call them back to change it again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can get my local channels when I take my dish and receiver

Nov 26, 2014, 8:46 AM

to Eutawville so I thought they may work in Clemson too. Is it just too far away from my Home area?

You're still in the region/area if you can get local

Nov 26, 2014, 9:19 AM

stations at Eutawville.

Your receiver is registered to a service area (which is usually your billing address). When you take your setup to a different region/area, the "local" stations are different. Since your receiver is authorized for Local Channels Lower State SC (made that area up, but I assume Charleston channels), you can setup anywhere in that area and receive those local channels.

When you travel out of the area, to Clemson, it is now Local Channels for Upstate SC (again, made up but now it is Greenville/Asheville channels). Even though you have the dish pointed correctly, the receiver is still authorized for low country channels. That's why you have to call Directv and change your service area.

It's not an issue. So many people in RV's, tailgaters, etc, change their service area all the time to get locals. But, like others have said, you can just use an OTA antenna and just change the input on the tv. Up to you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Need help with Direct TV at tailgate

Nov 26, 2014, 8:32 AM

I have a satellite finder app on my phone called Satellite Ar. It's great. Just make sure your the angle on your dish is correct and level. I've saved tons of time using this app.

Thanks, I'll try it.***

Nov 26, 2014, 8:37 AM

Nov 26, 2014, 8:36 AM

Ive used mine a lot and I always get my locals even out of state. may want to call directv, also if you have a smart phone you can get an app that shows you the sats in the sky just point dish to sat its a lot quicker, hope you get it figured out.

Nov 26, 2014, 8:46 AM

Hey Orange (Tim)... get back to selling light fixtures and stop conducting personal business on company time!

Sorry, not Tim. :(***

Nov 26, 2014, 8:48 AM

Yes....tell fat chic to move her ### and point it south***

Nov 26, 2014, 8:50 AM

Nov 26, 2014, 9:35 AM

Don't you need the RV/mobile package to be able to switch zips, for local channels, at will?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

dunno if it will work or not. .but.. one of my tv's

Nov 26, 2014, 9:36 AM

Picks up local digital channels without an antenna. I just have to change source from the cable box to antenna and then hit scan. It came up with a lot of channels. Im guessing the tv has a digital antenna built in.

You can try that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

have your wife stand on the tailgate with tinfoil in both

Nov 26, 2014, 9:36 AM

hands

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Nov 26, 2014, 10:01 AM

I have a birdog sat meter that works with SWM LNB, works great, makes setup easy. I tailgate near Sikes Hall, if you are somewhere close by, ill come help you set it up.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic