Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A LITTLE HISTORY of "the game"........
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

A LITTLE HISTORY of "the game"........

Nov 24, 2014, 6:22 AM

Thought some of you Tigers and even our Gamecock visitors would enjoy this tidbit from the past:

During my years at Clemson from 1965-1969, the rivalry was the end-all of each season, as both teams had lackluster seasons for most of the 60's with no bowls.

Clemson students organized "patrols," both on foot and motorized across the campus and on the roads leading in and out of the town to look for Gamecock "invaders." The usual punishment for those caught was the block C shaved into the heads, while those in cars probably wound up scaring the dickens out of more folks than they intended.

Most of the Gamecocks had one goal in mind: painting ole Tom Green's statue, while the Clemson fellows' favorite target was the Carolina library and reflection pool.

There was one thing for certain at least on the Clemson campus: students were united the week prior via spontaneous pep rallies and cheering across campus, the annual Chicken funeral and large pep rally, and for home games, large CDA-sponsored dances on Friday and Saturday night. On game day you saw the Carolina fans primarily in DV, as they tended not to loiter before and after the game. Same thing for Clemson folks at what was then known as Carolina Stadium.

This year is my 50th in the series, since my freshman year. A win would be a great anniversary gift.

GOOOOOOOOOOOO TIGERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRS!!!! BEAT THE CHICKENS!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My first trip to a game in Cootlumbia was in those

Nov 24, 2014, 6:54 AM

years as a student. Sat in the USUC student section with my cousin - loved to see Buddy Gore break the 1,000 yard mark on their home field (in a 10 game schedule... makes it more impressive than these days). And a win to boot!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My first was the 1965 game, played in Carolina Stadium,

Nov 24, 2014, 8:01 AM

which the Gamecocks won 17-16.

A lot of Clemson folks were mad that Frank Howard didn't kick the PAT to tie the game; however, when asked later, Howard simply said, "I play to win, not tie." We won the next two; the Gamecocks won the 1968 game. So, we split the series with them during my four years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

60's teams are my favorites......

Nov 24, 2014, 8:05 AM

You are right, none of those teams earned a bowl. But through the years, I look back at the uniforms from the late 50's through the 60's, they still are the best. The orange shoes game against State, oh so close against Bear's #1 team. Gore, Jackson and the "needle". Harry O's fumble run for a TD. For the first few years of the 60's, they played both ways.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The '67 home game against Bama had a little something

Nov 24, 2014, 8:13 AM

for everyone:

Besides being a close win by Bama, 13-10, a fight broke out which Howard and Bryant merely watched from the sidelines, as the refs sorted it out.

After the game Howard told his good friend, the Bear, "If I had your team, I would have won this game."

The Bear laughed and responded, "If I had your team, we'd be national champs!"

Re: The '67 home game against Bama had a little something

Nov 24, 2014, 8:25 AM

That Bama game, I remember the Bear leaning against the goal post watching his team warm up like he did for every game. Howard walked up and took off his own hat and preceded to beat Bryant over the head. The crowd went crazy laughing.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL....Good Lawd! How could I have forgotten that?

Nov 24, 2014, 8:28 AM

One of the most hilarious things to happen in DV...and heck, I was on the sidelines (as a Clemson cheerleader) when it happened.

You guys have all the good stories

Nov 24, 2014, 8:30 AM [ in reply to Re: The '67 home game against Bama had a little something ]

A little continuation of the stories told by Coach Howard. Unfortunately my earliest memories are from the Red Parker years. At least the final scores got better after that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would have loved to have been a student there when we

Nov 24, 2014, 8:41 AM

won the national championship. Had to be one heck of a rocking good time!

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic