Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Some basic things about the playcalling
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 688

Some basic things about the playcalling

Nov 22, 2014, 8:30 AM

To most reasonably intelligent football savy fans its easy to see something is off with the play calling this year.
My questions to morris if I could ask him:

Why do we neglect working the middle of the field? (It looks open most of the time.)

Why don't we run many come back routes?

Why aren't we running jet sweeps to open the middle of the field for the run game?

What is repeadtly running bubble screens setting up, can't we run some thing to give the misdirection that its a bubble screen and sneak someone out?

Why don't we use JJ more for short yard runs and to help in pass pro?(use him like we used Dwayne Allen?)

Honestly this were things Morris's did best in his first year here and hes gotten away from it yearly. Hes still a good coach but I'd like to know why he gets away from what's working and why if a teams D is overplaying a particular portion of the field why doesn't he attack else where.

Its been basic D to stop the offense this year. Load the box and play most plays like its a run(bubble screens are extended handoffs) then in 3rd down drop everyone.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Some basic things about the playcalling

Nov 22, 2014, 8:58 AM

I am certainly no coach, but let's just ask a simple question: Do you really think Morris et al haven't thought of all of those things?
I really believe it has come down to lack of execution by the players. Like you alluded to, the plays are the same, but the players are different.
Having said that, it is his responsibility to find something that works with this group. Though the dynamic style is certainly not there as in previous years (with the exception of when Watson is in there), with the exception of last week, I think they have made the appropriate adjustments for what "we have to work with." We have OWNED the 4th quarters (except last week) and have done what is necessary to win. It hasn't been pretty, but it has worked. (Makes you think how truly special DW is and will be!)
With success, our expectations increase. Sometimes dramatically. Amazingly, we win our last 2 and GT loses, we will probably go to the OB! That's something for such a down year, huh?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree about some basic things about the playcalling

Nov 22, 2014, 9:44 AM

Absolutely correct. We give up the middle 3/5 of the field. We don't even go there most of the time. Perhaps Morris feels this is too much of a danger zone for interceptions, especially based on the play of our QB but there must be a way to split the defenders. I would also add that we rarely run any slant patterns, even when it's obvious before the play that they are open (see the slot receiver with defender either man on or off 7 yards). Need to drag tight end across middle more. Need more RB screens. These quick patterns will stall the blitz which has been our achilles heel. Once the blitz is blunted, the QB can have more time for deep routes. All that being said, we shouldn't forget the run. I'd like to see special "run packages" where we stack run blockers to one side and go (big boys, e.g., Davis, Beasley, Guillermo, Crowder, Cooper). Throw in some misdirection and PLEASE, tell the blockers (WRs included - to go after somebody and get them ON THE GROUND) They ALL wait until the defender comes to them! Nobody should be standing watching the ball carrier get tackled. Let the ball carrier decide which way to cut.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 688
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic