Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Nothing Left To Win....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 6,744

Nothing Left To Win....

Nov 5, 2012, 10:02 AM

Read this on another site. Gave me goosebumps. Enjoy!

Nothing Left To Win.

In November 1989, we didn't have much to play for against USC. We had locked up a bowl bid, had lost the ACC championship, and had no national title hopes.

In the words of Coach Ford as he addressed the team on the Sunday prior to the USC, "We got Nothing left to win."

This struck many of us as somewhat odd. In fact our faces must've been quite slack-jawed, because the next thing out of Coach's mouth was… "What? You think we got something left to win?"

Stunned silence enveloped the room.

And on that the meeting was adjourned.

The week was a bustling environment of press, campus activity, and a bittersweet thought this was our last regular season game. But many of us seniors couldn't shake the thought of Coach Ford's words…. "Nothing Left To Win." As I hurried to the senior meeting with Coach Ford on Thursday afternoon, I anticipated what he would say to give me comfort, to ease the troublesome statement he had stuck in my mind.

We talked briefly about the itinerary for our trip, and the fact that we might not have a curfew after the game and that we could ride home with friends or family instead of a team trip. Nothing unusual… and then Ricardo Hooper brought it up…

"Coach, can we wear Orange on the road?"

Coach Ford laughed. "Uh, ha ha, uhhh Why in the world… you don't need no orange pants. Naw I don't think so." Well it was worth a shot, I thought. Coach Ford added. "Anythin' else?" The room stayed silent. "Alright then… see y'all at practice."

Nothing said to ease my fears, nothing.

The Thursday night practice was COLD, and it went by way to quick. Before I knew it we were on our way to Columbia. We checked into the hotel, and had a late dinner, as it would be a night game on Saturday. The next day the team chose "Harlem Nights" as our team movie. I hated it. I remember thinking this just isn't ANY fun. How could Coach Ford, just give up on us like this… how could he say we didn't have anything to play for? How COULD HE??!!!

The rest of that day, I felt as though I was unprepared. I felt as if the last 3 years had been a blur, and I had learned nothing. Indeed, it was an unsettling trip to Williams Brice. As I got off the bus, I commented to Chip Davis about how I'd been feeling. "Me too" was his reply.

Warms ups were business as usual, and I remember being able to find my girlfriend and her friends easily in the Clemson crowd that had gathered at the corner of the stadium…

But I still couldn't shake the feeling… "Nothing to win…"

The locker room was quiet.

Solemn.

Sad.

"I told y'all, y'all got nothing to win." Coach Ford started. And then after a brief pause, he continued… his voice getting louder on every syllable, "And y'all don't. But you got EVERYTHING to prove. Y'all can prove y'all are the WINNINGEST class in the ACC, y'all can prove we own them, and y'all can prove to all them writers and people who wanna WRITE YOU OFF!"

We sat in amazement… his fury was evident, and then it hit us… He WAS MAD. He was pissed off beyond belief… angry at those who snubbed their noses at a team that had beaten FSU in Tallahassee, angry at those who thought 8 wins going into the regular season finale against USC wasn't good enough, angry at those who faulted his guys for losing a couple of games. And now his anger flowed white-hot, enveloping us all… setting off a fire inside each one of us… a fire he stoked by continuing, "I'm proud of y'all!"

And then his voice got soft… and he said, "Y'all ain't got nothing to win… but everything to prove."

And in a whisper he finished…. "Prove you deserve to wear these."

And tossed a pair of Orange Pants onto the bench.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

AWESOME!***

Nov 5, 2014, 11:09 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

^^^^POTD day^^^^

Nov 5, 2014, 11:13 AM

HTH helps

45-0, boys and girls!!!

Nov 5, 2014, 11:25 AM

We could do it again!

On edit:
Largest margins of victory for Clemson in this series
1st) 51 - 0 (1900)
2nd) 63 - 17 (2003)
3rd) 45 - 0 (1989)

Message was edited by: Beegshot® - history

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 45-0, boys and girls!!!

Nov 5, 2014, 11:36 AM

Wow! What an awesome story, Danny was one of a kind and just like Dabo, this university is forever better for all they have given us.

Goosebumps!***

Nov 5, 2014, 11:38 AM

If I remember correctly

Nov 5, 2014, 11:42 AM

I think it was Terry Allen that was injured before that game and was not expected to play. I was sitting in the endzone with all the Clemson fans and before the rest of the team and he came out on his crutches and everyone noticed that he was wearing the orange pants. He walked over in front of the fans, threw down his crutches and sprinted to the sideline. Then the rest of the team came running out.

That game was over before the ball was kicked off.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just slammed my hand on my desk and let out a

Nov 5, 2014, 11:46 AM

GO TIGERS! Co-worker laughing and staring. Hahaha

I was 16 years old at that game and had never attended a game AT SC. I really enjoyed this read...I never knew that took place. We don't know whats said behind closed doors. Someone send this to Dabo. Go Tigers!

Just found out Dabo Swinney has this and

Nov 6, 2014, 9:29 AM

has read it to the team before.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

That's a classic from Joe Cobb

Nov 5, 2014, 12:31 PM

What was the web site?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's a classic from Joe Cobb

Nov 5, 2014, 12:46 PM

Someone posted on TI's message board.

Re: Nothing Left To Win....

Nov 5, 2014, 12:42 PM

Thanks
If you don't mind and even if you do I'm going to share
this with other members of our Clemson Family

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2014, 12:46 PM

Not mine. Joe Cobb's work.

Go Tigers.

Nov 5, 2014, 1:00 PM

Holy crap that was awesome!!

harlem nights was the movie

Nov 5, 2014, 1:02 PM

there was a scene when the boxing champ said dont take this a$$ whipping peronally.
kinda a premonition i hope the coots did take it personally.

great post of coach ford and his motivation skills.

Really enjoyed reading that.

Nov 5, 2014, 1:04 PM

Thanks bro

GO effin' TIGERS!***

Nov 5, 2014, 1:26 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

I was there. And the next day......

Nov 6, 2014, 8:14 AM

I went to the local grocery store, and bought every zero candy bar they had. I handed them out to every coot fan I knew of.

GO TIGERS ALL IN!

OMG! All fired up now! GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 6, 2014, 8:58 AM

LOVE THIS TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All In, All The Time...1314797352813

HOPE THE PEOPLE I WORK WITH ARE READY FOR CAPS LOCK!!!!

Nov 6, 2014, 9:27 AM

HIT SOMEBODY

I just got goose bumps..

Nov 6, 2014, 9:29 AM

what a great story, what legends are made of...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Original...link:

Nov 6, 2014, 9:43 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=148172

Re: Original...link:

Nov 6, 2014, 10:26 AM

Thank you. Joe Cobb is the man.

Goosebumps!***

Nov 6, 2014, 10:56 AM

+1. Good find. Who actually wrote that?***

Nov 6, 2014, 11:06 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Joe Cobb***

Nov 6, 2014, 11:08 AM

Is that an excerpt from a book? TIA.***

Nov 6, 2014, 11:11 AM

I don't think so. Someone

Nov 6, 2014, 11:16 AM

posted a link where he posted this here on TNET. You could probably T-Mail him.

He's obviously a talented writer.

Talented writer... No doubt.***

Nov 6, 2014, 11:20 AM

Nothing like Ole Danny to bring a smile to your face...

Nov 6, 2014, 11:12 AM

...That guy is a legend. I am so happy that my entire student career at Clemson was with Danny at the helm and there to experience that magical year in '81.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

For those under 40, this post is for you

Nov 6, 2014, 3:14 PM

most of us old-timers revere Coach Ford because of stories like these. He encapsulated what we all felt inside, that yearning to push yourself beyond what you think you could, to fight a worthy battle with everything in your soul, to know that through all the ups and downs, you have what it takes. Gene Hackman says in the Replacements that greatness, whoever brief, stays with a man. Danny knew this and drew it out of not only his players, but ordinary fans alike.

I'm just thankful to be old enough to still see the greatness that he embodied and how it transcended through the entire Tiger Nation.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope the people who fired Danney Ford spend eternity

Nov 6, 2014, 4:16 PM

with c0cklovers in Columbia.

Replies: 31
| visibility 6,744
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic