Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ACC Environments:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 3,287

ACC Environments:

Oct 31, 2014, 8:46 PM

Saw the thread on Louisville's 55K that they had for last night's game.

I think a big problem in the ACC is we need more environments like that. Our fans are either too few, or too fair-weather, or too round-ball.

If I had to rank the environments, the top 3 are Clemson, FSU & VT.

Right now, it looks like Louisville & NC State are in the next tier.

After that, it falls down a bit. Miami, Syracuse, BC, Pitt, UVA, Tech, UNC, Wake, Dook.

At Tech, we've had our moments, and I think we do a better job than most of the other schools in that list of 9. But I think we overbuilt the stadium for our fanbase, and can only sell out when the other team brings a lot of fans. I think we actually had a better homefield advantage when our stadium was smaller.

I feel sort of bad for Clemson in some ways (not all ways, but some). You guys are a football school in a basketball conference. I'm a football fan at a school that was once a huge football school, but isn't so much so anymore.

I also have to ask about UNC. They have to be the most clueless football fanbase in America. NC is a big state, and UNC is their flagship. They could be dominant. UNC could be a football power if they cared. If their fans demanded it at the level of, say, how VT or Clemson fans demand it, UNC could be a powerhouse. But they've never really been.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ACC Environments:

Oct 31, 2014, 8:53 PM

I'm always surprised how little GT generally draws considering the nearby population density

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, you're not... you were just being nice***

Oct 31, 2014, 8:56 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

3 things killed us in the 60's....

Oct 31, 2014, 9:02 PM [ in reply to Re: ACC Environments: ]

1) We left the SEC
2) The Falcons & Braves killed us with local sidewalk fans.
3) The upsurge of UGA under Vince Dooley

It was a perfect storm that almost destroyed our program from a fan support standpoint.

Georgia is a big enough state now, and we've been stable enough within a power conference to get better. It's actually better than the 80's, when I was in school. I think what we've lacked is a good 5 or 6 year run of really good teams to re-establish ourselves as a football school.

Regardless, there's no excuse for an ACC program in a state like Georgia to not have decent support. We've just got to get better.

Re: 3 things killed us in the 60's....

Oct 31, 2014, 9:15 PM

Paul Johnson's offense is killing you now.

And too many dadburn end zone seats in Bobby Dodd

Oct 31, 2014, 9:40 PM

I know real estate is at a premium in the city, but it looks like there are more seats in the north end zone than on the sidelines. That's crazy.

What about UNC?...

Oct 31, 2014, 10:17 PM [ in reply to Re: ACC Environments: ]

Do you think I'm being hard on them and their fans? I always thought they were a huge underachiever in football, and didn't even realize it or care.

No you are dead on regarding UNC

Nov 1, 2014, 8:15 AM

There's so much potential in the ACC. Why can't Virginia be a power house? I mean they don't have to be Alabama or anything but they should be solid every year. Big school with tons of resources. UNC should be elite. My goodness the money they have up there. Butch Jones had them on the cusp that one year. Then like half their players got suspended and they almost beat LSU that first game.

You are dead on about the fan base. They just don't care about football enough I guess. They are too consumed/proud of their basketball tradition. It's sad.

Oct 31, 2014, 8:57 PM

i'd say Clemson, FSU on tier 1
Va Tech, Louisville tier 2
UVa, UNC, NC State, Syracuse, GT tier 3
Pitt, Miami, BC tier 4
Wake, Duke tier 5

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2014, 9:05 PM

To me, NC State looks better at packing their stadium and supporting football than the other teams in your tier 3. And I'd move VPI up to tier 1.

What is GT avg attendance? Grant Field used to seat & bring

Oct 31, 2014, 9:26 PM

in 50,000+ didn't it? I remember our annual trip down there and a big crowd. PRO SPORTS!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It varies...

Oct 31, 2014, 9:31 PM

Used to, we held over 60K, but rarely sold out. Then, in the mid 80's, we downsized to 46K (actually mis-counted, closer to 41 or 42). In 2003, we finished an expansion and we're now 55K capacity.

We sell out for UGa, Clemson & FSU.

Our typical average in a year is around 50 or so. We had a good crowd earlier this year for Miami and for Ga Southern.

I think 50 is about right for us. Of course, we could try and grow the fanbase, which won't happen under Paul Johnson, IMO.

Re: It varies...

Oct 31, 2014, 10:36 PM

Hey , Smitty , need you to build us an electric chair for Roy , (he didn't know ) Williams

Dual purpose chair Swoffy is next . We have funds .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2014, 10:45 PM [ in reply to Re: ACC Environments: ]

OK, so I looked it up, Tiers are mine, adjusted....

Clemson Memorial 82K, average attendance 82K 2013
FSU Doak-Campbell 82.5K average attendance 75.5K 2013
---------------------------------------------------
Va Tech Lane 65K / 64K 2013
Miami Sun-Life 75.5K / 54K
Louisville Pappa John's 55K /53K
NCSU Carter Finley 57.5K / 53K
UNC Keenan holds 63K / 51.5K
Pitt Heinz 65.5K / 49.7
GT Bobby Dodd 55K/ 49K
UVA Scott 61.5K / 46K
Syracuse Carrier Dome 49K / 38K
BC Alumni Stadium 44.5K / 33K
Wake BB&T 31.5 / 28.4K
Duke Wallace-Wade 34K / 26K

Source:http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2013.pdf

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2014, 11:14 PM

The ACC needs more movement up the ladder in attendance We need more teams at 70K attendance, even 60k would be nice. Clemson is maxed out. FSU could do better. VT is maxed, not sure if they could or would add seats. Miami could do more. UNC could & should do better, but 70K is unlikely as the stadium is limited by tree height. UVA SHOULD do better. NCSU is limited by stadium design. I don't see how you could expand that stadium. Louisville is a welcome addition.

Oct 31, 2014, 10:37 PM [ in reply to Re: ACC Environments: ]

Duke is expanding. I think it's only 3000 seats or so. Still will be sort of pathetic. But, they are getting rid of that track around the field which screams high school. So, good for the dookies for trying to get behind what Cutcliffe has brought them in football. Remember, the rose bowl was once played there at Wallace-Wade.

I like Bobby Dodd personally. It has that historic character. If the tech fans had a consistent winner, I believe it could be a great venue again. It would be tough to support Paul Johnson as a tech fan. It's like a slow moving train wreck. You know he's a gimmick and will never recruit well enough to win consistently. He's sort of tech's Tommy Bowden, with the massive exception that Bowden whooped up on his in state rival. Johnson is pathetic against ThUGa.

UNC....who knows? I agree with the OP, they should be able to be a national contender. Big population state, lots of money, no academic standards, decent facilities. I guess they just have always prioritized basketball.

Louisville is a welcome addition. Even as a basketball school, their fans seems to be really behind football. Good for them and a huge upgrade over Maryland.

They always talk about the pageantry of the SEC, but

Oct 31, 2014, 11:18 PM

whenever there is a listing of top college football entrances, the top-10 always includes Clemson (rub rock and run down the hill), Florida State (Ride Renegade and plant spear), Georgia Tech (rambling wreck car running out on the field) and VT (enter Sandman). VT's is the only one I don't get, but four out of ten doesn't leave much room for a lot of teams from other conferences. I actually think Georgia Tech has a great atmosphere, but then again, I usually see it when Clemson is the opponent and the Tech fans are really into the game. I imagine any decent game such as Georgia, Clemson, FSU, UNC, Miami, Va Tech, Virginia and Tech has a really good atmosphere.

Oct 31, 2014, 11:22 PM

Smitty as an Atlanta person I feel your pain. Clemson is an SEC school in the ACC. No reason Tech should not be a great venue for college football. Clemson , Auburn and to some extent Georgia are college towns where football is king. Atlanta is a huge city with too many diversions. If GT ever reaches their full potential it will be good.for all of us

Oct 31, 2014, 11:35 PM

Thank goodness we got a really good thread to read tonight!!

Thanks!!!!

GT is already FAR to competitive for us...

Nov 1, 2014, 5:03 AM [ in reply to Re: ACC Environments: ]

I'd hate to see them winning like they were in the Pre 80s era.

Smitty, I was at Clemson from 1965 to 1969, and one of

Nov 1, 2014, 5:05 AM

my favorite road trips was to a game against GT.

Who couldn't make that trip without a stop at the Varsity? Even in those days the Tech and Tiger fans got along great. Also, made a trip to a game at UGA....Now that was a different story. lol

As for UNC, they certainly have had the resources to build a great football program, however, their passion has been for their BB program. I just don't expect much change in attitudes...especially with their noses sniffing the ozone layer. lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 3,287
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic