Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I believe Clemson can win a national title - THIS year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

I believe Clemson can win a national title - THIS year

Oct 30, 2014, 6:56 PM

It's been said a lot, but there's a lot of football left to be played. And I believe Clemson is still in very real contention for the playoffs - and a national title.

In order for that to happen, three things must happen:

1) Clemson must win out.

2) FSU must drop two ACC games. I believe this may happen. I think the 'Noles are a coin-flip at Louisville tonight, and it'll be in the back of their heads that they "can" lose this one and still get into the playoffs. And once they lose that first game, they have three very losable ACC games - BC, Virginia (who is much-improved this year), and at Miami, who hate the 'Noles with the power of a thousand suns. All of these teams have fair-to-very-good defenses, good running games, and will be able to shorten the game and eat clock against a Seminole D that has hardly been imposing this year. The Seminoles would only need to stumble once at that point...and with all the furor surrounding Winston and now Karlos Williams, I think it very likely would happen at that point.

and...

3) ONE of the non-SEC conference winners must wind up with two losses. I think this isn't just entirely possible, I think it's likely. A two-loss SEC team would (of course) get the nod ahead of Clemson...but would a two-loss team from the Big 10, Big 12, or Pac-12 get the nod ahead of the Tigers? I don't believe they would...and the reason is, when the Playoff Committee goes to parse between two-loss division winners, the things that would jump out at them about Clemson are a)both losses were very early in the season, ON THE ROAD, and to ranked teams, b) Clemson's defense will likely be the #1-or-#2-ranked unit in the country, and c) Clemson's got a very exciting young QB in Deshaun Watson and is an entirely different animal with him in the lineup.

If Clemson wins the ACC, we're in contention. It really is that simple.

It starts with Louisville, tonight. If FSU wins, nevermind. This conversation is probably pointless. The 'Noles still might wind up with a loss somewhere, but two ACC losses? Unlikely. And we need them to take two hits because they own the tie-breaker with us.

But if FSU loses...well. At that point start eyeballing the carnage...and smile a big happy smile every time somebody ahead of us loses. Because there's going to be some profound carnage down the stretch; there always is, and college football has never had the parity and week-to-week shifts we're seeing now.

So I'm the world's biggest Louisville fan tonight. Never in a million years thought I'd say this, but: rock on, Bobby Petrino.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The problem is that there will be 3-4 two loss sec teams

Oct 30, 2014, 7:00 PM

That we would have to jump. Won't happen. A 2 loss Notre Dame team gets in over us as well

Re: The problem is that there will be 3-4 two loss sec teams

Oct 30, 2014, 7:05 PM

Not when they parse the records.

Clemson's poised to shoot up the rankings. If FSU gives us the window, Clemson could conceivably be on a 10-game win streak at that point. We'd have to beat Georgia Tech and South Carolina, of course, and then beat whoever shambles out of the morass that is the ACC Coastal in Charlotte, but with our D, and a healthy Deshaun Watson, I think that's very, very much within the realm of reality.

A Clemson team that's won 10 straight, has the nation's #1 D, and a talent like Deshaun Watson at QB will get the nod over Notre Dame or a 2-loss SEC team that hasn't won the SEC. I can pretty much guarantee it. Especially if we put it to the Gamecocks to close the regular season.

Oct 30, 2014, 7:08 PM

I guess the drinks have starting flowing a day early

Can I interest you in some used lottery tix?

Oct 30, 2014, 7:11 PM [ in reply to Re: The problem is that there will be 3-4 two loss sec teams ]

How are we poised to shoot up the rankings? We are not playing anyone that is ranked.
The only way is for EVERYONE currently ahead of us to lose once and many twice....and those loses have to happen in precise weeks.

Oct 30, 2014, 7:50 PM [ in reply to Re: The problem is that there will be 3-4 two loss sec teams ]

Dude- you are lost.

Oct 30, 2014, 7:10 PM [ in reply to The problem is that there will be 3-4 two loss sec teams ]

That's right. Plus, who have we beaten, Louisville? That's it. That's our only argument for a good win.

Oct 30, 2014, 7:12 PM

Plus the Acc coastal winner, my fault.

Oct 30, 2014, 7:14 PM [ in reply to Re: The problem is that there will be 3-4 two loss sec teams ]

Louisville will finish in the Top 15.

We'd also have wins against Georgia Tech, South Carolina, and, if FSU gives us the window, a ranked team from the Coastal.

Especially the way our D is playing, if our offense rouses from its slumber and starts scoring 40+ again, inertia can build very quickly.

Again, though, FSU has to lose. Tonight, and then one of their final three ACC games. Otherwise this is, as I said, a pointless conversation. But if the Seminoles are going to collapse, it's going to need to start in about 20 minutes.

Is that you Walt?***

Oct 30, 2014, 7:09 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well somebody is hearing me -

Oct 30, 2014, 7:17 PM

convoluted...but nevertheless...

simple - FSU loooses dose...winston cries on espn...CU on 10 game win streak second only to Marshall...D ranked #1...media darlings....

how hard is this to understand - yall killing me.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ahem???***

Oct 30, 2014, 9:00 PM

Re: I believe Clemson can win a national title - THIS year

Oct 30, 2014, 7:34 PM

We beat loui with less offense than what FSU will have tonight. Remember, that's when Deshaun was injured in the mid to later first quarter. But would love to see Loui take FSU down, IMO though, I don't think it will happen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nm

Oct 30, 2014, 7:41 PM

null

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: nm

Oct 30, 2014, 8:44 PM

You all would be wise to listen to Q. He has made fools if men before

This is why other teams fans make fun of us***

Oct 30, 2014, 7:38 PM

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This ^^^***

Oct 30, 2014, 7:43 PM

Haha -- yep***

Oct 30, 2014, 8:39 PM [ in reply to This is why other teams fans make fun of us*** ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is why other teams fans make fun of us***

Oct 30, 2014, 9:05 PM [ in reply to This is why other teams fans make fun of us*** ]

they don't need help just read his post and wonder why?

Oct 30, 2014, 7:47 PM

in what sport?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2014, 7:49 PM

tiddly winks

Oct 30, 2014, 8:02 PM

If unc hadn't been sliding all their tiddlywinks players through the Af-Am dept for years, we probably could win it all!.............:~)

Cocaine's a hell of a drug.***

Oct 30, 2014, 8:37 PM

I agree, and I believe in unicorns and leprechauns, do you?

Oct 30, 2014, 9:07 PM

We need to worry about beating Ga Tech and SCAR before we have delusions about winning a natty. Maybe in 2016, but not this year, pal.

Re: I agree, and I believe in unicorns and leprechauns, do you?

Oct 30, 2014, 9:14 PM

Yes, I am smiling.

Hopefully I will still be smiling an hour an a half from now.

Figured FSU was going to go down. Problem with being a crisis-maker like Famous Jameis is, sometimes you dig yourself a hole too deep, and you just...can't...burrow...out.

Dunno if this is that hole. Ask me again in an hour and a half.

Pass whatever you are smoking?

Oct 30, 2014, 9:15 PM

I need it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TIGER BALLS.

i think we need UGA to win the SEC as well

Oct 30, 2014, 9:16 PM

But you have a point. Could happen

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: i think we need UGA to win the SEC as well

Oct 30, 2014, 9:24 PM

If everyone ends with 2 losses we at least have an argument...but they will push hard for two sec teams.

Especially if uga wins seccg...they'll push for auburn/alabama to get the 4th spot.

We would all love that but

Oct 30, 2014, 9:22 PM

Nationally a two loss Clemson team is not relevant/sexy at all. Arizona probably has more of chance having beat Oregon and with the pac 12 doing so well this year.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic