Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
With all of the discussion about the NCAA
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 359

With all of the discussion about the NCAA

Oct 30, 2014, 1:00 PM

I can't help but think that the rules governing recruitment and treatment of athletes have become so burdensome that it is difficult to navigate. (Similar to the IRS!) Some things are obviously wrong and we all know these things have happened over the years to influence recruits. For example, I heard a big UGA booster bragging about his hand in making sure the Dawgs won the services of Herschel Walker over Clemson by collecting cash and meeting someone on the interstate to hand over the bag money. Also, everyone at Clemson in the 70's saw some of the basketball players driving new Monte Carlos. I've also heard football players at small schools talk about boosters shaking their hands and palming them a $20. I am very proud that Clemson has not been implicated in any serious wrong doing in many years and I am proud that Coach Swinney is dedicated to doing things "the right way." But please, for the love of football, can't someone give an athlete a bottled water at a tailgate? Any self respecting mom would do that for any student! Remember the young man trying to raise his brother that had to get special permission for coaches' wives to give the young boy a ride? I find it all very complicated and it seems the only time schools get any penalties are for things they self report, so where is the NCAA over site? I suspect UNC will suffer no consequences for their 18 years of gaming the system. I don't care about vacating championships; that seems silly. But they should have consequences for a set number of years for breaking the rules. I sure would hate to be a compliance officer at a major university. Sorry for the rant. I feel better now. Go Tigers!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What a wall of text. Use that key with "Enter" on it, please***

Oct 30, 2014, 1:12 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

¶, USE THE ¶ BUTTON***

Oct 30, 2014, 2:34 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: With all of the discussion about the NCAA

Oct 30, 2014, 1:48 PM

I can't help but think that the rules governing recruitment and treatment of athletes have become so burdensome that it is difficult to navigate. (Similar to the IRS!) Some things are obviously wrong and we all know these things have happened over the years to influence recruits.

For example, I heard a big UGA booster bragging about his hand in making sure the Dawgs won the services of Herschel Walker over Clemson by collecting cash and meeting someone on the interstate to hand over the bag money.

Also, everyone at Clemson in the 70's saw some of the basketball players driving new Monte Carlos. I've also heard football players at small schools talk about boosters shaking their hands and palming them a $20.

I am very proud that Clemson has not been implicated in any serious wrong doing in many years and I am proud that Coach Swinney is dedicated to doing things "the right way." But please, for the love of football, can't someone give an athlete a bottled water at a tailgate? Any self respecting mom would do that for any student! Remember the young man trying to raise his brother that had to get special permission for coaches' wives to give the young boy a ride?

I find it all very complicated and it seems the only time schools get any penalties are for things they self report, so where is the NCAA over site? I suspect UNC will suffer no consequences for their 18 years of gaming the system.

I don't care about vacating championships; that seems silly. But they should have consequences for a set number of years for breaking the rules. I sure would hate to be a compliance officer at a major university. Sorry for the rant. I feel better now. Go Tigers!

Now I can go back to your post and give you a point.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think what's important here is not the bottle of water...

Oct 30, 2014, 1:53 PM

but the desire of our players adhere to rules no matter how trivial they seem.

I agree that a drink of water seems miniscule but where should they draw the line? What's your solution to the problem?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think what's important here is not the bottle of water...

Oct 30, 2014, 2:28 PM

Post looks much better after you got a hold of it 88. Thanks! I will try to do better next time.

I don't have a solution and I don't know where you draw the line, but, in my mind, there is a big difference in a bottle of water and manipulating grades to keep student athletes in school. There is a big difference in handing out cash and giving kids a ride. I'd love to know how the original rules were stated.

I do agree with you about the desire of our student athletes to know and adhere to all rules. Sorry about the rant. Next time I'll just step back from the keyboard.

Message was edited by: Tiger Nana®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 359
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic