Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If only a pat on the back and a "way to go"....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

If only a pat on the back and a "way to go"....

Oct 26, 2014, 4:23 AM

Could cure mediocre QB play, TNet pumpers would have Cole in the running for heisman!

You can say things like "he's the best we got right now" but it is baffling to me how many posters are saying that he pulled us together and won the game and deserves MVP trophies

He may have thrown the TD pass but he was only on the field bc the defense played lights out and continuously provided damage control.

Many of you won't like this but we are winning in spite of the QB play, not because of it

Flame away

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd say you nailed it.***

Oct 26, 2014, 4:27 AM

We are winning b/c of our defense and that's what people

Oct 26, 2014, 5:02 AM

should be talking about. It blows my mind that we keep winning games with one of the top defenses in the country (#3 total defense now) and all people wanna talk about is the offense (or lack thereof).

This year's team is built on defense and our D should be celebrated. Our offense is avg at best without Watson and not too shabby with him. The offense is definitely good enough to produce wins the rest of the way though.

Our offense lost some people, had some injuries, had people moved out of position and is just flat all out of wack right now. It's the worst it's been under Chad, but outside of this stretch our O has been pretty darn good with him around, so I'm willing to give him a pass and go with his track record that our O will turn it around.

What's killed us the past few years is our defense. Now that we have one I'm not just excited for the rest of the season, I'm excited for the future! It's bright, you just have to focus on the right things!

I just can't see any other QB on the sideline being worse...

Oct 26, 2014, 5:17 AM

than Stoudt at running the offense.

Spurrier would have pulled Stoudt 3 games ago and gone with one of the other guys just for spite, even if he only had 2 plays he could run off that QB.

I watched Stoudt telegraph many of his passes - never looking for his check-downs on numerous plays - as soon as the snap his helmet would be lazered onto the receiver he was going too, and that bubble screen pass where he threw it into 3 defensive players with only 2 receivers - we're luck that wasn't a pick 6.

Did he have time to check down?

Oct 26, 2014, 5:22 AM

He certainly got knocked around alot and I know Morris ran the ball alot b/c our pass blocking is so poor (not that our run blocking is great.) Tough to be good at all running for your life! If you aren't a special athlete you're not gonna have much success right now as a Clemson QB.

But our defense was in shutdown mode. They smothered the Cuse all over the field. They couldn't run the ball, they couldn't throw the ball. They had only given up like 5 sacks all year and we got them 4 times. We had 10 different guys get a TFL. It's fun to watch those guys out there. That's why we'll keep winning!

This is not the same CS I saw come in for TB last year

Oct 26, 2014, 5:19 AM

He looked more confident last year and had more precision in his passes. This year it looks like he just closes his eyes and flings the ball. For every one good pass there are 10 that are over thrown or should have been intercepted. The good news is that we are playing inferior teams. Like last night when that defensive player juggled one of CS passes. Looked like that pass was intended for him rather than our man. Luckily he was only good for one interception and dropped that one

Re: This is not the same CS I saw come in for TB last year

Oct 26, 2014, 8:56 AM

Life is easier when you have Sammy Watkins on your team. It's also easier when you're the backup and mopping up instead of having the fate of the offense squarely on your shoulders. It certainly would help if the O line was so banged up and if one of the few healthy linemen (who will remain nameless) could keep from getting suspended for the second time in as many years.

I think he is playing a bit hurt and just toughing it out.

Oct 26, 2014, 9:23 AM [ in reply to This is not the same CS I saw come in for TB last year ]

His passing is worse than it usually was when he was the backup.

But my only real problem with Cole is the stupidity. Running the ball when we have no timeouts.

These games wouldn't be such a struggle if he just played smarter.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Marlborocountycapon = tigerfanjack = Clemson_Alumnus

Oct 26, 2014, 10:38 AM [ in reply to This is not the same CS I saw come in for TB last year ]

4-4

Re: If only a pat on the back and a "way to go"....

Oct 26, 2014, 6:16 AM

At one point last night, I was so frustrated with Cole's play that I thought.. ####.. Put Watson in and let him throw left handed.

Re: If only a pat on the back and a "way to go"....

Oct 26, 2014, 7:13 AM

Spot on brother. I like Cole Stoudt as a person,but I can't stand him as a QB.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well for openers ....

Oct 26, 2014, 8:03 AM
notd.jpg(44.2 K)

...he threw two TD passes. And he had a pitchout perfectly set for another, that was fumbled into a turnover.

But to your point: 1. Are there people touting Cole's play as anything beyond manning the turret until DW returns? If so, I'm missing them,

and 2. Given the fact that we have a dozen offensive main players either out or hobbling, just what the #### are you suggesting Cole do? I'm sure we'd all love to see a greater spark from the offense, and I'm not beyond criticism if it comes with suggestion ... so, what specifically are you suggesting?

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well for openers ....

Oct 26, 2014, 8:53 AM

The point of my post was not to address the merits of cole as a QB (I have already shared that many times). Nor was it to address injuries being a reason for our stagnant offense. I am simply wondering why people are STILL defending Coles ability as a D1 QB when we ALL know he is not. Stop all the "give him a pat on the back", "he really pulled the team together for the win", "cole can't complete passes over 10 yds bc the Oline sucks" ....all that stuff sounds good and makes us warm and fuzzy but from what I've seen the last three weeks, we should be thankful we play teams like Syracuse and BC.

Yes we won the games but by no stretch of the imagination was it bc of Cole Stoudt. I just hate knowing how much talent we have that is USELESS unless you have a QB that can run the system.

Just quit all cheerleading and defending of someone who we all know will not take our offense to its full potential

I see what you're saying, but I also don't see the harm in

Oct 26, 2014, 12:06 PM

supporting Cole. If there are people out there saying Cole is one of the best we've had, then yes, they are delusional but they aren't causing any harm...just supporting the team. No matter what they say, it doesn't change what we have and our current situation.

I kinda feel bad for Cole. He isn't a head case, says all the right things, supports OUR team, gives copious amounts of credits to other guys, loves being a Tiger, wants to win as much as us...yet somehow we still find ways to avoid constructive criticism and just drag the kid through the mud. He deserves our support because he IS what we have right now. When Watson gets back, he'll be our starter and Cole will have done good enough to give us a few Ws. Hopefully, our team can get us through the next few weeks till we get several of our starters back.

I honestly just don't know if there is anybody else on our roster than can do as well as Cole till Watson is healthy. I'm curious of their potential, but I'd hate to find it out during a game and get waxed. It's one of those things where you have to trust the coaches. I know it's hard to do with them starter Cole over Deshaun and Howard over all our other backs but it is what it is. Whatever choices they make, right or wrong, they'll suffer the consequences.

If Cole would just be smarter with the ball before half.

Oct 26, 2014, 9:25 AM [ in reply to Well for openers .... ]

stop taking off and running his slow ### self when you have no timeouts.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What's your point? He's all we've got right now, so no use

Oct 26, 2014, 8:58 AM

killing the guy.

Re: What's your point? He's all we've got right now, so no use

Oct 26, 2014, 9:23 AM

I'm not trying to kill him even though my posts seem harsh....but many times on this board i see "ALL IN" like its some sort of way to disregard hard truths that must be recognized and fixed instead of glossed over like everything is fine

Ignoring problems only delays and exacerbates the inevitable....

He's the best we've got, and he's doing the best he can.

Oct 26, 2014, 9:27 AM

It was obvious last night the team understands that, even though some fans can't seem to get their heads around that fact.

Re: He's the best we've got, and he's doing the best he can.

Oct 26, 2014, 9:48 AM

No my head is wrapped completely around it.

Sometimes doing your best, while admirable, isn't good enough...im not into the whole "everyone gets a trophy and a back pat for trying" mindset so forgive me. Im more into the "fix the problem or find someone who can"

Re: He's the best we've got, and he's doing the best he can.

Oct 26, 2014, 10:14 AM

I do not think you do have your head wrapped around it, because this is what you responded

im not into the whole "everyone gets a trophy and a back pat for trying" mindset.

No one is asking you to give the guy a heisman, but HE IS THE BEST WE HAVE.

what do you suggest that we punish him for trying. make him feel worse?

the guy is in a tough situation. I am sure it hurts him to be humbled out there. He is suffering out there. I am sure it hurts to watch your dream of being an NFL quarterback becoming unrealized yet he is still giving it his all.

Sometimes i really think some of you are pieces of garbage.

For the record we are still winning, and despite his limited skills he is not quitting on us. He is some kind of leader, even though he may not be an excellent quarterback.

It hurts me to see our offense flat, but i am proud of his fight, despite his limitations. Teams pick each other up, and thats what we are doing.

As long as we try hard...

Oct 26, 2014, 11:03 AM

Then thats enough for me! Lol

Hopefully all the players that try real hard get juice boxes after the game. Your response sounds like what u say to t-ball kids after each game

And if we are paying coaches millions of dollars and Stoudt is the very best we can do then some salaries need to be cut....can you wrap your mind around a stagnant offense while playing the bottom of the barrel ACC teams?

Re: As long as we try hard...

Oct 26, 2014, 11:43 AM

recruiting is not an exact science. Some players are hits while some are not. some develop and some do not. Firing coaches for players like watson getting hurt is silly.

What i am saying is that he could have packed it up and we may have lost more games.

I can agree that watson should have been the starter as the eye test clearly shows he has more talent, however we are paying these coaches a lot of money to evaluate players, and we have had several nice years in a row with these coaches including a 6-2 record so far this year.

you act as if clemson is a perenial powrhouse and we did not normally lose games to weaker opponents. we are winning all those games now so the program is moving in the right direction.

just face it we are over achieving and someone does deserve credit. unless you like losing to wake forest and maryland.

It is easy to criticize when the results are not there. imagine you had a slow white child who played football. imagine he was under mental stress and did not quit. would you tell him you need to do better understanding his physical limitations, or would you encourage him to help him improve where he can. or would you tell him to hang it up and go drive a semi for a living. perhaps take up bass fishing.

Cole is not going to get faster, but he can do enough to help us win.

Or we can just fire everyone, bash them for being slow, and condemn people for getting hurt, or whatever else you see as a solution.

when i read your original post i could agree with a lot of what you said, but you turned it into some other thing where encouraging people who are sweating and fighting for us should not happen.

I am not saying give em all a trophy, but recognize when a sacrifice is being made for us and have a little bit of class.

Well said TigerNick!***

Oct 26, 2014, 10:53 AM

But...you offer no solutions

Oct 26, 2014, 12:00 PM

???

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I bet the bashing he's taking...

Oct 26, 2014, 12:07 PM

by you whineazzdumpingsonbiches is really helping Cole to see the error of his way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic