Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Looks like UNCheat is going to avoid punishment
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Looks like UNCheat is going to avoid punishment

Oct 24, 2014, 2:40 PM

From someone on Facebook quoting a premium message board. I don't have the originating link, but it seems legit. Thoughts?

Per Andrew Jones of ACC Sports Journal:

There is a huge misunderstanding of the NCAA, its mission and its boundaries. So I am going to make clear here exactly what the NCAA can and can't do regarding Wednesday's Wainstein Report. And understand this isn't my interpretation, this comes directly from the NCAA on Wednesday night:

*Most important for everyone to understand is that the NCAA is in the business of eligibility. It assumes the power of deeming that when it comes to extra benefits, as those all settle outside the line of any university's control and land flatly in their hands. Cash, goods, trips, etc, the NCAA can easily weigh regardless of a university and its basic mission.

*Academics, however, are much trickier. The NCAA is NOT in the business of legislating or monitoring curriculums. Each school has a different mission, and each department and course does, too. Thus, the NCAA doesn't get involved in any of that unless there are examples of outside sources affecting academic results, such as Jennifer Wiley's "assistance" with work performed by football players several years ago. But nothing new there was uncovered in the Wainstein Report.

*This is how it works with the NCAA: It cannot deem a class unworthy and discredit a grade that has been given unless the university itself nullifies the credit, which would make the grades from that particular class fraudulent. Remember, the NCAA only deals with issues of eligibility here, so if the school discredits a class it then nullifies any credit given to all students in that class, including athletes, none of those grades will count any longer. So if an athlete has his/her credit invalidated, that athlete would be deemed ineligible.

*So, unless UNC discredits any of the Crowder classes in question, all grades and "accomplishments" stand. However, if UNC invalidates any of her "classes," any athletes in those classes would then be ineligible and subject to an NCAA reprimand.

*Wainstein said there's no evidence of anyone getting a grade for doing nothing and no evidence of any grade changing. Yes, he did say there was evidence (can't recall if it was once or more than once) where Crowder was told what kind of grade the athlete needed and he/she got it. But if the work was turned in and that's what the athlete received, there's nothing the NCAA can do about it.

Now, if she gave the grade in exchange for something - cash, gear, tickets, etc - than there would be a problem.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the acc and the board accreditation can do something.***

Oct 24, 2014, 2:45 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: the acc and the board accreditation can do something.***

Oct 24, 2014, 2:48 PM

Yeah but they can't vacate wins, which is what I wanted to happen

I would hope some one some where would try to enforce

Oct 24, 2014, 2:52 PM

The academic responsibility of the collegiate system.

You have the mark Mays of the world who let money trump integrity. .. who will stand for education?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Trip to dentist = 3 years probation. 3,000 students in fake classes = 0***

Oct 24, 2014, 2:48 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

These emails make it seem

Oct 24, 2014, 2:51 PM

That tickets were definitely given to the Julius Nyangoro (African Studies chairman) from the academic support program office. (Pages 10-12 and more at the end)

http://www.newsobserver.com/content/media/2013/6/8/uncemail.pdf

Shocker. And the ncaa wonders why it's losing control.

Oct 24, 2014, 2:53 PM

The ncaa lost its ballls a few years ago, it started with scam continues with johnny manziel and now in the latest chapter of the ncaa playing the market Todd Gurley and uncheat. If this was a smaller team the ncaa would slam them. They know all of what goes on at bama and most if not all the sec schools yet they turn a blind eye to it because it would put a huge dent in their profits

Re: Looks like UNCheat is going to avoid punishment

Oct 24, 2014, 2:55 PM

Well they have spent 8 million trying to cover this up and what you are reading is just that .

They are out in force on every message board ., putting out fires .

What is revealed now shows they lied to the ncaa and the cheating falls under lack of instutional control .

Don't worry , this is the biggest scandal ever , , remember FSU had a computer class that got them .

Roy didn't know , now he will have to resign .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Looks like UNCheat is going to avoid punishment

Oct 24, 2014, 3:02 PM

I wish, but seriously doubt Roy will resign. And Swofford won't go against UNC being the former AD. I mean something will happen, some punishment, but it's probably a slap on the wrist. Too much money on the table.

I don't deny that UNCheat is going to avoid punishment

Oct 24, 2014, 3:05 PM

.... but do take exception to the the notion of the NCAA being only in the business of discerning/maintaining eligibility.

Case in point: Penn State

Nothing to do with maintaining eligibility there! Yet the Nittany Lions got totally hammered.

The NCAA is a political organization. They make their decisions based on political expediency and on the personal preferences of those in control. Their historical preference has historically been to paint things they deem acceptable with a "Carolina Blue" brush stroke.

It won't be any different this time.

the ncaa admitted they overstepped their bounds

Oct 24, 2014, 3:06 PM

Which is why they recalled some of the punishment.

Penn st could have fought it but would come out looking even worse.

The NCAA clearly had a broad reading of the "lack of

Oct 24, 2014, 3:18 PM

institutional control" clause for Penn St. I don't see how that wouldn't apply here.

Let's not beat around the bush here. If the NCAA really wanted to get involved, they would. But for whatever reason, they have deemed the Baby Blue Ivory Tower untouchable and they will not be harmed.

I think a more important issue going forward is this: John Swofford was UNC AD for at least 4 years of this farce. I don't see, even with the laughable plausible deniability he will undoubtedly claim, how he can continue to "lead" the ACC. This is a scandal too large for anyone associated with it to be unscathed. He should step down immediately.

so most of the 2009 BBall NC team cheated academically

Oct 24, 2014, 5:36 PM

and therefore the players where ineligible and the championship should be vacated and they can punish schools for this.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Jones is a Tar Heel apologist. UNC will discredit the classes ...

Oct 24, 2014, 5:39 PM

... letting those classes stand in order to avoid athletic penalties is not something the present UNC administration would consider.

As it is, this scandal will stain the Tar Heel academic reputation for decades.

If the UNC academic administration appears to be circumventing punishment by endorsing fake classes, everyone involved with UNC from the Chancellor, to the faculty, to the students will bear the embarrassment and shame the rest of their lives.

IS UNC proud of their basketball team??

Oh HE.LL yes.

But, they're even prouder of their Pseudo-Ivy League academic reputation!! They'll condemn the classes and take their punishment. Of course they'll probably strike a deal with the NCAA and "plead to a lesser charge" in exchange.

It will be interesting to watch this play out over the next few months.

BTW: This is from Andrew Jones' bio ... I am the publisher, editor and lead writer for Tar Heel Illustrated in the Rivals.com network. I cover the UNC football and basketball teams while adding to our football and basketball recruiting while also overseeing the daily operations of the site.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dropping credits from those classes ends the University.....

Oct 24, 2014, 5:58 PM

UNC would be sued by literally thousands of former students if they cancel those credits. That means regular students didn't graduate, that means their degrees are worthless. That means UNC would pay MILLIONS upon MILLIONS to those students to make up for the cost of defrauding them and potentially ruining their careers.

Ain't going to happen, and ain't nothing going to happen to UNC.

Andrew Jones and Caulton Tudor are the only ones who see

Oct 24, 2014, 6:13 PM

UNC avoiding punishment. Both are well-known Tar Heel athletic apologists.

I do not see the current UNC administration, all of whom are desperately looking for ways to polish the badly tarnished Tar Heel reputation fighting very hard to avoid athletic penalties the whole world believes they deserve.

If UNC is willing to completely "void" their academic credibility by endorsing fake courses, then the NCAA will step up and save their own credibility by arbitrarily handing out stiff penalties like they did for Penn State.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL***

Oct 24, 2014, 5:57 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are any of us really surprised?***

Oct 24, 2014, 6:08 PM

No surprise to me

Oct 24, 2014, 6:10 PM

As soon as I read the report I said they wouldn't even get a slap on the wrist. I hope I'm wrong.

Not even 30 minutes in the time out chair?***

Oct 24, 2014, 6:16 PM

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic