Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
After watching Duke Johnson run for 249 yards and Gus
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 55
| visibility 1

After watching Duke Johnson run for 249 yards and Gus

Oct 24, 2014, 8:27 AM

Edwards run for 115 yards in juan game, I began to wonder if our $1.3MM Offensive Coordinator would be able to get any semblance of a running game going before Obama leaves office.

Hopefully Dye will be able to make a significant impact, but him coming back from a sirius injury doesn't give me a ton of confidence. Same for Brooks. Choice, Gallman, and Davidson all have potential but not sure if they'll ever be impact players like JD or Ellington.

Also, it doesn't look like we have any RB studs committed for 2015 (isn't Ray Ray going to play WR?) and now I'm hearing that Feaster may not be leaning as hard toward the Tigers.

Should we just be content with a "RB by Committee" and let DW work his magic through the air?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

It's hard for me to understand....

Oct 24, 2014, 8:30 AM

Chad came in as a "smash mouth spread" guy. That's what his unit at Tulsa did. They ran the football. I watched those teams dismantle people by running the ball and being balanced.

He is in year four and we have no semblance of a run game. You could argue that, minus Tajh Boyd, we wouldn't have had much of any run game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

I think Hot Rod did an admirable job

Oct 24, 2014, 8:33 AM

after the loss of Ellington.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

i think Hot Rod was great.... but i don't think you can

Oct 24, 2014, 8:35 AM

say that we had a dominant running game. I think people worried about Boyd more than HR. My point is that, 4 years in, we should be able to run the ball much better than we do.

Our short yardage is abysmmal.

I do think that Brooks getting hurt was a bigger deal than many realize, tho.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

How much of it is the OL York? We have 4* RB's back there.

Oct 24, 2014, 9:47 AM

Just curious what you think. I agree about Brooks as well.

Message was edited by: cutigersJD®

We had Ellington and Hot Rod. Of course AE was injured and missed

Oct 24, 2014, 8:34 AM [ in reply to It's hard for me to understand.... ]

some games, but it wasn't all Tajh.

And please don't bring up the 2012 SCAR gane where we were running all over them and inexplicably started passing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We had Ellington and Hot Rod. Of course AE was injured and missed

Oct 24, 2014, 9:43 AM

Did you know that in the 2012 South Carolina game we were average over 6.5 YPC in the 1st half only to abandon in the 2nd half?

RA'd for bringing up the 2012 SCAR gane***

Oct 24, 2014, 9:44 AM

york..is that a negative comment about Chad????***

Oct 24, 2014, 9:36 AM [ in reply to It's hard for me to understand.... ]

Re: After watching Duke Johnson run for 249 yards and Gus

Oct 24, 2014, 8:35 AM

I think we just missed on good backs a few years ago and the young ones haven't grown up yet or are injured. Pair that with a mediocre line, some injuries there as well and an injured dual threat replaced by a pocket passer. We won't realistically have a good run game until hopefully Georgia Tech when we get some of the injured people back as well as a hopefully improving Dye.

That's a good point. If MB had fulfilled his potential, and

Oct 24, 2014, 8:38 AM

we hadn't missed on RBs like Gurley, Marshall, Cook, Lane, etc., maybe we aren't having this conversation.

Give Morris a break

Oct 24, 2014, 8:37 AM

With 3 offensive tackles out and three RBs (choice , zac, and dye), it is tough to be good.
Howard never developed and if u remember Auburn refused to offer him RB. Also Mile Bellamy saga and having our 4 star leaving to Tennessee after he committed to Clemson. I believe (not sure) if we lost another RB to Georgia ..
In a way, Mr 5 star Mike did a nice job on us. What a screw head!!?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

so what are you saying....

Oct 24, 2014, 8:41 AM

we should give these guys a break when we don't have a running game b/c we lost recruits to other schools? Howard didn't develop, so not thier fault.

I'm not calling for anyjuan's head.. but i think our run game should be more advanced in year 4.

I understand we've had some injuries on the line (and

Jun 11, 2019, 1:51 AM [ in reply to Give Morris a break ]

had juan transfer), but I wood have expected more quality OL depth in Dabo's 6th year and Morris' 4th year.

I blame it on ESPNU and uphill running

Oct 24, 2014, 8:37 AM

Perhaps if we had better downhill running and were broadcast on another channel it would help. Also, need to evaluate heads or tails call better. Is it better to be on the receiving end or defer?....

Are you saying our running gane would improve if we chose to

Oct 24, 2014, 8:39 AM

play defense first?

he may be onto something here***

Oct 24, 2014, 8:42 AM

Perhaps. There's defensive driving... so defensive running?..

Oct 24, 2014, 8:43 AM [ in reply to Are you saying our running gane would improve if we chose to ]

Pretty sure Emory Smith did some defensive running.

While I agree that improvement is needed, I also think....

Oct 24, 2014, 8:45 AM

Coach Morris gets a bit of a pass here due to all of the offensive injuries he's has to work around.

There's no denying the offense has been decimated by injuries this season. Watson, Dye, Choice, Brooks, Peake, Guillermo, Gore, Cooper, and Leggett have all sustained significant injuires and as a result, Morris has had to essentially piece together personnel packages on the offensive side of the ball based largely on availability.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

#wehavenooline***

Oct 24, 2014, 8:46 AM

There's something in these hills.

another thing bob.... and i've been CM's biggest supporter

Oct 24, 2014, 8:51 AM

even since before we signed him....

but I don't think he know's what he wants to do, or at least he can't commit to it 100%. He seems to be spastic in big games.

That's something i never saw from him when at Tulsa.

I believe this is it in a nutshell

Oct 24, 2014, 9:15 AM

The game still moves too fast for him. His adjustments leave something to desire.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 24, 2014, 8:59 AM

What the hayall is wrong with you?!?! I think it is obvious with the issues we've had from an injury and attrition standpoint on the OL and at RB why we have issues.

Do you really think it is coaching? I think the coaches are doing the best they can with what they have at the moment. I personally don't like the running back by committee idea and hope that Dye is the answer, but I will not blame the coaches as I believe they are good for our program and can;t think of anyone I would replace them with!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

is that you

Oct 24, 2014, 9:01 AM

919TIger?

^^^RA'd for personal attack

Oct 24, 2014, 9:07 AM

cause not 919instigatortiger

See link

Oct 24, 2014, 9:09 AM [ in reply to Re: After watching Duke Johnson run for 249 yards and Gus ]

idjit

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=16067403

Who you callin' idjit

Oct 24, 2014, 9:16 AM

IDGIT!?!?

i could be wrong... but i think he's talking to the guy who

Oct 24, 2014, 9:22 AM

doesn't know how to tmale links

What does

Oct 24, 2014, 9:27 AM

GWP have to do with this!?!?

Here we go again...

Oct 24, 2014, 9:03 AM

Erry time it's bash the staff, bash the program, bash bash bash bash bash bash bash.

amidoinitrite, 919?

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

you need to stat talking about revenue streams and

Oct 24, 2014, 9:09 AM

then call names

It is Frank Hoaward's fault

Oct 24, 2014, 9:03 AM

7 games year we tell our RBs to run East-West. The other 5 we tell them to go North-South. Very confusing

Lack of talent at running back is the main problem.

Oct 24, 2014, 9:10 AM

And I don't understand the lack of focus on it in this recruiting class. I would hope that they are beating the bushes for a top flight running back that can step in as a freshman and contribute.

Of course, Tyshone Dye could prove to be the talent that we need. We just need two more due to the pounding running backs take.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 24, 2014, 9:19 AM

Our line is not the greatest, but our backs have no power, speed or vision either. Many times they get through the line of scrimmage and cut the wrong way or go down easily. There's so many plays that Duke Johnson would have picked up 15-20 yards but our backs get 6-8 at best. Remember, a walk on running back is one of our best backs. That shouldn't be the case at Clemson. A walk on should be regulated to playing against SC state.

Is this your first year following Clemson football?

Oct 24, 2014, 9:27 AM

2011 avg 158 yds rushing/game
2012 avg 191 yds/game
2013 avg 175 yds/game
2014 so far

During the same time we've had 2 WRs drafted in the 1st round, 1 in the 4th round, had a 5 star RB get kicked off the team, lost Ellington, and the best QB in our history has moved on.

Surely you would agree that our ability to throw the ball is connected to success running.

Contributing factors to issues running the ball this year:
QB situation has been relatively unsettled
Bellamy-kicked off team
Brooks-HURT
Choice-HURT
Dye-HURT
Peake-HURT (our best WR)
At RB we are now down to a frosh (Gallman), a guy that hasn't played football in 2 yrs (Dye) and a former walk on (Davidson) due to the issues above.

We've lost exactly 2 games this year, both to top 10 teams.

Which of these problems are related to the Offensive Coordinator and his salary? Who would you rather have since CM is underperforming (I assume you think this based on the OP)?

139 avg so far this year***

Oct 24, 2014, 9:28 AM

So if Chad's goal is to be a "smash-mouth" spread team,

Oct 24, 2014, 9:38 AM [ in reply to Is this your first year following Clemson football? ]

would you consider 175 or even 191 yds/game to be "smash-mouth"?

BTW that number is trending downward.

I never said I wanted CM replaced, just wondered how we're going to get to the goal of being a "smash-mouth spread" offense.

Yes. 175 and 191 show great balance. If those #s account

Oct 24, 2014, 10:03 AM

for half of our offense...or even 40%, I'd say #1 we are in good shape, #2 we are balanced, and #3 we are physical.

Yes trending downward but there are factors outside of CM's control that are contributing.

My point is that we have been there IMO, but we aren't now. We aren't now due to the loss of A TON of personnel. I think we have good backs now but we are unsettled at QB and cannot keep the backs healthy.

I was thinking 225-250 rushing yards per game. Based on

Oct 24, 2014, 10:09 AM

current stats, rushing avg of 225 yds/game would rank us at 27th:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/rushingYardsPerGame

So assuming we keep our current stable of backs healthy in the future, do we become that "smash-mouth spread" team?

A quick gander makes it appear to me that most of those

Oct 24, 2014, 10:23 AM

teams at 225 or more are mainly running teams with rushing the ball accounting for 60% or more of their offense. Again, quick look and guessing a bit on the math.

For me, I don't think we have to compete stats-wise with those teams. As long as we have a highly ranked offense (total yards) and decent balance, then yes I think we are accomplishing CM's goals.

Yes I would think we can get there with the current backs although I'd like to add another big name if possible.

In order to get there though we will need D Watson to stay healthy and continue to improve and a few WRs are going to have to emerge as very reliable options (Scott looks like he's headed that way quickly and I feel good about M Williams, Peake, and Hopper). Again it's all related.

At RB I like Gallman and Choice for years to come. Brooks would still have a year left I think. Maybe Fuller can amount to something. Not absolute that our current roster will give us the running game we want but if healthy I like it.

Re: A quick gander makes it appear to me that most of those

Oct 24, 2014, 11:11 AM

Swinney hired the 43% at tulsa and the staff has continued to try and fix the run game even sending chad to nevada. also numerous mentions coming into this year on focusing on the run game[again] not because of games like "wake", because of games like UofL, unc & fsu where cu avg < 2.5 yards a carry. the staff knows & anyjuan honest knows, the way to the next level [yes, there is juan for clemson] is to be able to run the ball & run the clock when necessary. that is no easy task, but year 6, year 4 & things are the worst they've been. realistically, it may get harder as teams have more film on thechad, but "smashmouth football" imposes its will, not the other way around.

Note: Credit for the above goes to a Jamaican friend.

Re: A quick gander makes it appear to me that most of those

Oct 24, 2014, 11:16 AM

as if there was any doubt where the credit went.

we miss you buddy.

go football for compliance.

South Carolina baseball since 1975: 31 NCAA Tournament appearances including a streak of 14 straight / 12 Super Regional appearances/ 11 College World Series berths / 5 National Championship game appearances / National Champions in 2010 and 2011. The Gamecocks hold 3 NCAA records for postseason success: The most consecutive NCAA tournament wins (22) / The most consecutive wins in the College World Series (12) / The most consecutive home NCAA tournament wins (29).
Since 1992 The Gamecocks have competed in the SEC and have 4 SEC titles / 1 SEC tournament title / 7 SECE titles.

Thoughts? Any juan?***

Oct 24, 2014, 11:38 AM [ in reply to Re: A quick gander makes it appear to me that most of those ]

I think this should have been a new post.

Oct 24, 2014, 11:39 AM

hth

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

Probably, but I'll get land blasted if I do that***

Oct 24, 2014, 11:53 AM

No, bob.

Oct 24, 2014, 11:55 AM

Most folks on dis here bored are level-headed and reasonable. Do you even Tnet, brah?

Our Oline have really bad run-block mechanics.

Oct 24, 2014, 9:29 AM

If in year four and five our linemen can't run block properly then that is all on coaching, IMO. CM is not the Oline coach, last time I looked.

Oct 24, 2014, 9:47 AM

Even when we had CJ and JD, we had games that the run did not work

Robbie Caldwell coaches the oline, not Chad Morris...

Oct 24, 2014, 11:48 AM

So if you want to complain about the running game, start with the oline and the oline coach who is doing terrible job coaching the oline on fundamentals.

That's fair to question how well Caldwell is coaching/

Oct 24, 2014, 11:57 AM

developing the offensive linemen. I'm not close enough to the situation to know for sure; all I see are the results.

Re: That's fair to question how well Caldwell is coaching/

Oct 24, 2014, 2:20 PM

All we heard when Caldwell was hired was how good of an O-line coach he is. He is now in his 4th season as our OL coach and the results are the same each season. The most shocking thing to me is the complete lack of basic fundamentals this far into his tenure.

Oct 24, 2014, 11:56 AM

Remember we should have Senior RB Mike Bellamy this year backed up by Zac Brooks. Stuff happens.
Gallman, Choice and Dye are going to be good but they are young. Add that to the OL not being strong at run blocking (which is staff's fault, but next class looks to address it) and you have a weak running game.

The last two weeks have been against really good Def so maybe it open ups a bit this week for CJ and Wayne.

Yes, our running game will return with the return...

Oct 24, 2014, 11:57 AM

our dual threat QB. I'm happy with the recruiting and glad they tossed Chad Kelly. We're just not there yet. We're getting there but we ain't there yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMsrE-9CLFg

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whoa whoa whoa

Oct 24, 2014, 12:13 PM

Unsportsmanlike conduct on the play

You've lost all respect for me?

Oct 24, 2014, 12:47 PM

I thought at least I deserved a 'givinemdabidnes,' call by Ron Cherry.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OK here you go

Oct 24, 2014, 12:53 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D8aAC4jrPM

Replies: 55
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic