Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I would say trip to Texas A&M was the 2nd most influential
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1,846

I would say trip to Texas A&M was the 2nd most influential

Oct 24, 2014, 5:39 AM

game in Clemson football history in terms of our fan base.

#1 was, and probably always will be, the Orange Bowl win over Nebraska that gave Clemson a National Championship. From that point forward, the standard for our fan base would be to win the National Title...not just an ACC or State Championship.

But behind that one evening, I believe the trip in 2004 transformed our fan base more than any other single game outside of that Orange Bowl vs. Nebraska.

The way Aggie fans rolled out the red carpet for Clemson as the visitor sent a lasting and searing image on the 8,000 Clemson fans that traveled out there.

Those 8,000 came home and got online at places like Tigernet. They also went to church or their neighborhood party and spread the word. Within a year, it became a source of pride for Clemson fans to treat our opponents with class and hospitality all the while trying to whip their football team on the field.

Glad to hear we will renew this series with TAMU. We owe the Aggie fan base for elevating our fan base to be one of the best in the nation and welcoming visitors to Clemson.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I would say trip to Texas A&M was the 2nd most influential

Oct 24, 2014, 5:43 AM

Maybe but wasn't that the trip where our team had to ride charter bus without ac for an hour in 100 degree heat to arrive at the stadium for the game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes***

Oct 24, 2014, 6:04 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

It was about 104 in the Dixie Chicken that day, too

Oct 24, 2014, 7:58 AM

but the BEER was cold!

Not sure it was 100 degrees on the bus, but yes***

Oct 24, 2014, 6:11 AM [ in reply to Re: I would say trip to Texas A&M was the 2nd most influential ]

3 very good points, yet so disparate...or desperate possibly

Oct 24, 2014, 6:19 AM

aTm was indeed a fabulous trip with the perfect setting (outside of Clemson) for college football. Fans did in fact come away feted as well as learned.

Too, one glorious night in January 1981 the sons of Clemson were rewarded their commitment, their passion, their love.

And yes, many of the faithful left Miami overwhelmed by the glory, given in to pride and opulence, shed of their innocence completely and with only Mythical Mountains seeming enough to quench their lust.

Of the first two, Clemson has no doubt been enriched. But for the latter there has yet to be a cure; though many still toil under the falsehood that even the Mountain itself would suffice, that there is in fact a cure at all for vain glory.

Re: 3 very good points, yet so disparate...or desperate possibly

Oct 24, 2014, 6:24 AM

I don't know what you said but I like it .

I think.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Clemson fans have always been hospitable

Oct 24, 2014, 6:48 AM

It started waaaaay before 2004.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you***

Oct 24, 2014, 7:13 AM

I have been coming since 1975 and while I agree

Oct 24, 2014, 7:45 AM [ in reply to Clemson fans have always been hospitable ]

we have always been a great fanbase, there is no question that was amped up in 2004.

Both with strong military ties***

Oct 24, 2014, 6:53 AM

Nm

Re: I would say trip to Texas A&M was the 2nd most influential

Oct 24, 2014, 7:14 AM

contrary to tnet popular belief, the football program and the awesome atmosphere tailgating at Clemson did not start in the 90s.

I remember Tiger fans being gracious and classy hosts way back in the late 60s when I attended my first game there.

Not sure why you might think this just started in 2004

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL.That's because most TN'ers can't remember past the 90's.***

Oct 24, 2014, 8:09 AM

We were in Miami on January 1 1982.

Oct 24, 2014, 7:17 AM

And it took a while to absorb what I had just seen.
Wasnt able to make the last trip to Texas but if the good Lord will see to it to keep me around I fully plan on making the next game there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree Scott. I have never seen more welcoming and friendly

Oct 24, 2014, 7:46 AM

fans. A&M fans seemed to go out of their way to walk over and greet us as we walked around the area. I certainly came back thinking I could be more outgoing and friendly toward fans visiting Clemson. I saw how easy it was to make visiting fans feel welcomed.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

jvilletiger

Passing on our culture from generation to generation.***

Oct 24, 2014, 8:07 AM

The Aggie trip was great fun but to attribute CU hospitality

Oct 24, 2014, 8:48 AM

to a game in 2004 is just plain silly, WE have always been legendary hosts to our visitors.

Good Grief...talk about revisionist history....

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

no kidding - 80,000 Clemson fans did not go to TAMU

Oct 24, 2014, 9:30 AM

and we've been cordial tailgating folks for a hundred years or more.

I was there and it was spectacular

Oct 24, 2014, 8:50 AM

we ate at the Dixie Chicken, went down bottle cap alley.
We went to some bar that only sold shots....no cocktails, no beer, just shots. I had
a shot called a pi$$ed off japanese minnow farmer. It was pretty good.
Great fans, great hospitality. I hope that the SEC SEC SEC banner hasnt tainted that.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1,846
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic