Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
One of the isms will KILL college football
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

One of the isms will KILL college football

Oct 22, 2014, 5:57 PM

Soon, because of Texas, all colleges will pay all athletes. But, many will NOT be able to afford to pay women, golf, soccer, etc.

When schools refuse to pay all athletes, the lawsuits will begin.

Colleges will then be forced to pay all athletes, and eventually forced to raise tuition rates at a higher rate. (I know tuition doesn't usually go towards athletics but I can think of no other way in the future) unless dropping ALL sports.

Thoughts?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One of the isms will KILL college football

Oct 22, 2014, 6:00 PM

Some of the smaller schools out there won't be able to pay their entire football team, much less all of their athletes. If this becomes the standard, I think you'll see a lot of sports programs cut from colleges and some of the small football programs will be discontinued.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2014, 6:02 PM

Exactly.

Really, I'd bet there are only a handful of division 1 schools that can pay their athletes $10 k per year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Everybody in the 5 power conference can afford to pay.

Oct 22, 2014, 7:16 PM

Look at the TV contracts of each and the payout to each school just from those payouts.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Everybody in the 5 power conference can afford to pay.

Oct 22, 2014, 7:21 PM

You think all schools will be able to pay out $6 million per year?

I don't know. Seems I seen an article recently where some schools were barely bringing in that amount of money.

Oct 22, 2014, 6:01 PM

I left out, I can see paying football players because most colleges do make money from that standpoint.

But, who actually makes money from the women teams, golf, soccer, etc

(And women, I'm not attacking any woman, just stating facts that female sports do not attract the crowds like football)

That's why those sports will be dropped...

Oct 22, 2014, 6:08 PM

Most schools will have to cut down to the absolute minimum sports to have a men's football and basketball team. The days of men's college soccer, golf, tennis etc. will soon be over. Heck, college baseball will probably be gone at most schools.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Doesn't Title IX require those sports?***

Oct 22, 2014, 10:28 PM

It'll reach deeper than athletics

Oct 22, 2014, 6:10 PM

What about students on academic scholarships? Or how about a student that develops a ground breaking industrial process that makes the school millions. They should get their price of the pie too, don't you think? It's no different.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: It'll reach deeper than athletics

Oct 22, 2014, 6:13 PM

Seems like they should get their piece

Kind of like the 3% income tax. Once you head down this

Oct 22, 2014, 6:18 PM

road, there is no end to it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kind of like the 3% income tax. Once you head down this

Oct 22, 2014, 6:25 PM

Thats not true, back in the 40's when they implemented income tax, they really needed the money, and said it was a temporary tax....i trust that once they have enough money, the government will rescind on the tax....thank goodness for honest politicians

Re: Kind of like the 3% income tax. Once you head down this

Oct 22, 2014, 6:28 PM

Well my pocket is hoping they have enough soon ;)

Income tax goes back to the Civil War....

Oct 22, 2014, 7:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Kind of like the 3% income tax. Once you head down this ]

was eliminated in 1872, came back in 1894 and 1895. In 1895, the income tax was ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court. In 1913, the 16th Amendment to the Constitution made the income tax a permanent fixture in the U.S. tax system. So the income tax has been around permanently since 1913. You're confusing the start of the income tax with the mandatory withholding on employee wages that was put in place in 1943.

Next time, read up on your history a little bit more.

Nope.....

Oct 22, 2014, 6:19 PM [ in reply to It'll reach deeper than athletics ]

most schools have stipulations that any work done by students using University resources is property of the University.

Same as private industry.***

Oct 22, 2014, 6:20 PM

Re: Same as private industry.***

Oct 22, 2014, 6:23 PM

Yep. I've thought of and invented ways to save money for the company I work for.

Wish I'd gotten a bonus for all the money I saved them

So what's the difference?

Oct 22, 2014, 6:34 PM [ in reply to Nope..... ]

None IMHO

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you really think the students will file lawsuits?

Oct 22, 2014, 7:18 PM

That's what brought about this situation. The athletes hired lawyers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the athletes are successful

Oct 22, 2014, 10:59 PM

then someone else will want to get paid....it's the american way. And the ground work will have already been laid.

Personally I think athletes getting paid is ########. They are getting paid a ton in education and training alone.

A large percentage of these athletes probably would not go to college otherwise. They are working for it like a lot of us had to, in order to get an education. I worked my way through school and made some people a lot of money. It is the way it is.

You can thank NC State for that. James Goodnight even

Oct 22, 2014, 11:48 PM [ in reply to Nope..... ]

tried to give NCSU SAS, lol.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Nobody comes watches those students in class...

Oct 22, 2014, 6:58 PM [ in reply to It'll reach deeper than athletics ]

Nobody pays to watch those students in class or while they are studying. Football players have 80,000 in the stands and millions watching at home. Terrible comparison.

Re: Nobody comes watches those students in class...

Oct 22, 2014, 9:07 PM

Hardly. There are students that develop concepts that make universities tens of millions. It's no different than a football player making money for the university. And some slick lawyer will make a case out of it. I can't see anything but chaos coming from this.

Oct 22, 2014, 6:34 PM

If a business cannot afford to pay its people and stay in the black, then it should go out of business or re-evaluate their business model.

in football they should be paid, as it is an extreme amount of revenue in most cases, at the least be liable for injuries sustained making their profits.

As expensive as tuition and books are plus multi million dollar deals with networks, pretending they arent making money is silly. It is basically all profit. at least let the kids market themselves and make money on it.
If they cannot make it with that revenue, then they need to do a better job.

Oct 22, 2014, 6:45 PM

All schools don't make huge amounts of profit. Many don't.

And as pointed out above, I can see paying football players because that is a revenue generator.

The other sports isn't.

Anyone know of any sport besides football that most schools profit from?

Oct 22, 2014, 6:48 PM [ in reply to Re: One of the isms will KILL college football ]

And that's the premise of my post, is that schools won't be able to pay athletes from non revenue generating sports

And the lawsuits will begin. We can't discriminate against Sport B although we're probably already losing money on Sport B.

Yes you can, it's called American Capitalism...

Oct 22, 2014, 7:12 PM

Does a plumber get paid as much as Engineer? No. Seems like you think the only way college athletes can be paid is through a communist style system.

You're way off base...

Oct 22, 2014, 6:56 PM

Don't know where you get this "because of Texas" stuff from. If athletes do get paid, the revenue generating sports athletes will get more money, because they bring in more money. The non revenue generating sports athletes won't get paid as much. It's called American capitalism. No different than comparing an Engineer to a Plumber.

Re: You're way off base...

Oct 22, 2014, 7:17 PM

I think you're way off base.

My premise is the fact that ALL ATHLETES WONT BE PAID THE SAME so the lawsuits will come.

I guarantee it.

Again, we have a capitalist economy....

Oct 22, 2014, 7:21 PM

the non revenue athletes don't bring in any money to the school. A lawsuit would have no validity.

Re: Again, we have a capitalist economy....

Oct 22, 2014, 7:25 PM

I don't know about that. There will be some "feel good" judge that will rule all athletes should be paid the same.

Were on the same page as far as paying football players.

I just believe lawsuits will force colleges to pay all athletes the same like lawsuits or threats of lawsuits forced colleges to field sports teams that actually loses money for the school.

Oct 23, 2014, 1:58 AM

If a school tries to pay revenue sport athletes but not non revenue athletes, they're gonna get the wrong end of a title ix suit so fast they won't know what hit them.

And the sky is blue

Oct 22, 2014, 9:02 PM [ in reply to Again, we have a capitalist economy.... ]

Having a capitalist economy has nothing to do with this unless college athletes are part of the labor force, and thus subject to economic forces. Just because we think market economies are a good thing doesn't mean we think everything should be marketized, so you're missing an argument for why college athletics should be subjected to the same market forces as most of the rest of the economy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2014, 9:15 PM [ in reply to Again, we have a capitalist economy.... ]

Texas is proposing paying ALL their athletes approximately $10,000 a year.

Lawsuits are exactly what brought this about.

Oct 22, 2014, 7:23 PM [ in reply to Re: You're way off base... ]

The courts have already ruled on how much each athlete gets for a school using his/her likeness.

This thing is already structured and viable. The kids need some income. They can't work and many of them are from poor families.

If you'd read the information already published about the details of the court's ruling you'd have a more comprehensive understanding.

Re: Lawsuits are exactly what brought this about.

Oct 22, 2014, 7:26 PM

I've read it, understand completely what brought this is about.

I guess we're just not agreeing that eventually lawsuits or threats will also force schools to pay every athlete evenly.

Oct 22, 2014, 7:32 PM

I blame video games.
Lets just scrap the video game industry in its totality ...the rest of it as it concerns US Colleges and Universities will just take care of itself.
No "likenesses" equals no paying kids in school to play sports.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Oct 22, 2014, 7:36 PM

LOL

I actually have no problem paying athletes that play revenue generating sports. It's what I see happening in the near future that I disagree with.

Oct 22, 2014, 9:44 PM [ in reply to Lawsuits are exactly what brought this about. ]

I agree. The athletes should be better compensated. I agree with the old ball sack on this one. He was the first coach I heard mention paying athletes. He said that he was making millions, the university was making millions, and the boys bringing in that money should be paid as well.

Oct 23, 2014, 6:42 AM [ in reply to You're way off base... ]

The engineer and plumber do not receive federal grants which make them subject to the requirements of
Title IX.

Oct 24, 2014, 5:28 AM

Thanks for pointing that out.

College athletic programs cant be run like private businesses.

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic