Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
UNC Report
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,874

UNC Report

Oct 22, 2014, 5:00 PM

You can read the entire report from this link.

http://carolinacommitment.unc.edu/

After reading it all, it is clear that several people who are presently employed by UNC will be fired. This report was not a cover up. Please read. It is long however. I have read the entire document, it takes awhile. The NCAA has several issues to address from those years for several programs other than football.

It points to Assistant Athletic Director having direct knowledge, the academic aides that Williams brought in having direct knowledge as well, also point to even advisors in most sports having direct knowledge, as well as former heads of other department.

In a cliff notes version a secretary in the African Department set up the courses in question, she graded the papers. She did this with the approval of the Department head. She was not a facility member. This went on for over a decade.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same ol ... Same ol ... one "rogue" employee ...

Oct 22, 2014, 5:25 PM

responsible for everything ...

no connection to higher ups ... blah, blah, blah

only new "news" is the confession that its occurred over decades.

Throw the academic advisor under the bus and move on.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Same ol ... Same ol ... one "rogue" employee ...

Oct 22, 2014, 5:43 PM

You really should read the report. It points to several people and coaches as being involved.

direct links

Oct 22, 2014, 6:10 PM

here:

http://3qh929iorux3fdpl532k03kg.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/UNC-FINAL-REPORT.pdf

press release:

http://carolinacommitment.unc.edu/updates/press-release-regarding-2014-independent-inquiry-press-conference/

not light or fun reading for a NC alumnus.

the acts of a few are bad enough, the widespread failure of oversight is very disturbing

Tarheeldtiger

Oct 22, 2014, 6:38 PM

Honestly, more direct evidence against the basketball program is what I was hoping for. Something about unc.... I don't like ;)

But as an alum, how do you take the findings? Don't lie now. I know you're happy about them.

Re: Tarheeldtiger

Oct 22, 2014, 6:45 PM

It's on the national news right now . Maybe the chit will hit the fan for our holier than thou brethren .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2014, 6:52 PM

Their attitude that they are better than everyone else is what is so sickening. All of them,not all but 90 plus percent,think they are above reproach. Any other school in the ACC,ad swoffie would have already taken action. Eff all of them.

Oct 22, 2014, 7:08 PM

Yeah , I've got a couple of Tarheel brother -in -laws and I've been hearing what cheats we are since '81 championship . We "got out light from the NCAA cause the ACC gave us a 3yr. probation ."

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

honestly; mixed feelings

Oct 22, 2014, 7:30 PM [ in reply to Tarheeldtiger ]

happy? not really

it's embarrassing and disturbing in many ways. even after reading the report - all 130+ pages, like so many others i wonder how did it happen and how the F did it go on for so long? the failure in oversight is appalling and inexcusable.

it certainly makes the football side of the student-athlete support program look bad.

saw one report that said there were 9 employee terminations as a direct result of the report. add that to those already gone...

on the bright side, the lack of direct involvement of current coaches is a good thing.

have to wonder, how much direct knowledge/input/oversight do we want (head) coaches to have over their athletes? hard to know where to put the balance, too little is dangerous for many reasons, too much is risky for many other reasons.

still some anxiety left - wonder what the NCAA will do? i'm assuming they will see specifics about individual athletes, courses, grades, and eligibility..

only after we hear from the NCAA can UNC really start to put this behind

Re: honestly; mixed feelings

Oct 22, 2014, 9:24 PM

I read the entire report as well, the present women soccer coach was mentioned several times. Let's not forget Williams, he brought in the main guy to oversee the basketball academic program, he was directly involved. Because of a lawsuit one other witness again good old Roy could not be interviewed. You may be right about direct involvement, but if Roy did not know directly what was going on, it was because he did not want to know.
Yes, the old woman basketball coach who just left last year. She was directly involved.
But as of today UNC has new policies. So I guess all is right with the world.

After all these other investigations, UNC finally did go through a real investigation. Several people we allowed to stay who were very dirty.

i think 9 people were fired today.

You are assuming they can read.***

Oct 22, 2014, 9:38 PM [ in reply to direct links ]

Re: UNC Report

Oct 22, 2014, 9:37 PM

Interesting perspective from Pack Pride board about the number of players enrolled in
AFAM during the various coaches' tenures.

Comparison and extended stats:

BASKETBALL (13 scholarships per year)

Dean Smith - 54 in 5 years. 10.8 per year. (83% of scholarship base)
Bill Guthridge - 17 in 3 years. 5.67 per year (44%)
Matt Doherty - 42 in 3 years. 14 per year. (108%)
Roy Williams - 167 in 6 years. 27.83 per year (214%)

FOOTBALL (85 scholarships per year)

Mack Brown = 35 in 5 years, 7 per year (8%)
Carl Torbush = 35 in 4 years, 8.75 per year (10%)
John Bunting = 747 in 6 years, 124.5 per year (146%)
Butch Davis = 181 in 4 years, 45.25 per year (53%)

------------------------

So... who in their right mind would make the argument that this started with football?

Dean had far fewer players than football but far more enrollments. Gut continued that trend but likely dropped only because his AFAM players turned pro. Doherty was told by Dean and Gut not to mess with AFAM, per Wainstein. It doubled again under Roy and he easily had the highest percentage of enrollments per athlete.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,874
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic